Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Period every 2 weeks??  (Read 285 times)

Hannahlou

Period every 2 weeks??
« on: May 08, 2024, 05:39:53 AM »

Hi ladies

Is it normal for perimenopause to have a period every 2 weeks. This has happened to me for the last 2 months.

My periods used to be every 23/24 days, then they changed to anything from 19-27 and now every 2 weeks!?
I have a brown spotting for 2 or 3 days before which is starting on days 14-16 and then the actual period starts at around day 17-19. Does this mean I’m not ovulating as they are so early?

When I discuss this with my GP who is very knowledgeable in all things menopause and I see every couple of months for a follow up with all of this, she only suggests the coil or HRT. I’m not wanting the coil as I have never got on with progesterone including my own. And the only other symptom I have at the moment is anxiety so does this warrant HRT, just to regulate periods? Does it actually regulate them? I’d like to stay as natural as possible for the time being.

I’m 55 and late menopause is in my family.  Periods changes about 3 years ago.

It’s a very stressful and unpredictable time
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 06:21:25 AM by Hannahlou »

merrygoround

Re: Period every 2 weeks??
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 06:27:52 AM »

Hi Hannalou, I'd say it's perfectly normal for cycles to shorten, or to lengthen, mine did both, a year of each one aged 49 and 50 then they stopped once I turned 51.

So mine was quite a well behaved menopause, certainly "normal" and yours sounds similar to me, just your family do it slightly older.

Since your cycle was short already, then it seems to fit the normal picture for it to get even shorter.

My cycle was 29-31 days in fertile years, then was 21-25 days at the end. Sometime in my 40s I began to get brown mucus two days before my bleed, almost like the mucus plug of pregnancy, but no red in it.

Some of the time I skipped the actual bleeding part of the cycle but could still feel the cycle if you know what I mean.

Two years is a long time, have you thought of taking sequi HRT? That might regulate your bleeding to once a month.

Edit, sorry, my brain hasn't woken up yet, not two years but two months. I read it properly this time.

Progesterone intolerance is something I get with bells on too, it meant I couldn't tolerate any allowed HRT except Tibolone but my GP barely recognises the word menopause, yours might be more useful and let you try the more natural ones like cyclogest or utrogestan, but many women, myself included, cannot tolerate them either.

Tibolone isn't given to peri women for some reason unless they are over 54. I take that and still bleed every month but it doesn't trigger progesterone intolerance and it is the absolute best for anxiety. It's not so popular because it takes about three months to work and younger women are often settled on an HRT before being allowed tibolone so never think of switching.

With tibolone something like 90% of women have no bleeding after the first month.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 06:42:49 AM by merrygoround »

Hannahlou

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 06:36:55 AM »

Thanks for the reply merrygoround. It’s nice to hear from someone who had a similar experience. It was 3 years ago my periods started getting lighter. They used to be horrifically heavy but are now much lighter. And like I said really close together now last month and this month. I’m really sensitive to any kind of medication so I’m wary of HRT. GP did give me a prescription for the gel and progesterone tablets but I’ve yet to get them as I’m just not sure about it.

merrygoround

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 06:44:51 AM »

Thanks for the reply merrygoround. It’s nice to hear from someone who had a similar experience. It was 3 years ago my periods started getting lighter. They used to be horrifically heavy but are now much lighter. And like I said really close together now last month and this month. I’m really sensitive to any kind of medication so I’m wary of HRT. GP did give me a prescription for the gel and progesterone tablets but I’ve yet to get them as I’m just not sure about it.
I added to my message since your reply, sorry, just being disorganised as usual.

I found oestrogel lovely and utrogestan awful, if these are what you've been prescribed, taking the utrogestan vaginally reduces side effects.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 06:47:24 AM by merrygoround »

Hannahlou

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 06:55:10 AM »

I added to my message since your reply, sorry, just being disorganised as usual.

I found oestrogel lovely and utrogestan awful, if these are what you've been prescribed, taking the utrogestan vaginally reduces side effects.

Oh don’t worry, I can be just the same. Yeah, it been the last 2 months.

It’s utrogestan she’s given me along with the gel and I’m a bit scared to even try it. My grandma passed away from ovarian cancer just after going through menopause so this makes me unsure of adding more hormones into my body, but I know everyone is different and not necessarily is that going to happen to me. I will have to think carefully I think before I do anything. Thanks for the information regarding the Tibilone

Hannahlou

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 08:06:04 AM »

So does one pump of gel and 2 Utrogestran sound like it’s the right amount to start on? Not too much progesterone?

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2024, 09:44:58 AM »

If you're taking it just to regulate your periods I wouldn't bother, my own cycle alway overrode the hrt one. A combined bcp would regulate them. Anxiety may well be a meno symptom if it came with peri, if it's  a long standing issue it's less likely. Presumably the 200mg utro is sequi so 12 days a month? This is the recommended dose. hrt protects your heart and bones too but obviously a personal decision to take it or not.

Hannahlou

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 10:41:42 AM »

If you're taking it just to regulate your periods I wouldn't bother, my own cycle alway overrode the hrt one. A combined bcp would regulate them. Anxiety may well be a meno symptom if it came with peri, if it's  a long standing issue it's less likely. Presumably the 200mg utro is sequi so 12 days a month? This is the recommended dose. hrt protects your heart and bones too but obviously a personal decision to take it or not.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, she suggested it to regulate periods. I’m too old for the bcp at 55. I’ve no other symptoms at the moment only the anxiety, that did start with peri. Yes, 12 days a month for the Utrogestran. I’ve been trying to avoid taking HRT if possible and thought it a bit dramatic to just regulate periods. Someone told me that it doesn’t help with the anxiety side of things, is that correct?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 11:16:13 AM by Hannahlou »

Hannahlou

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 10:45:06 AM »

Is it worth it for any other benefits it would give I’m wondering?  Bone protection etc? Or leave it for now as it’s only really the frequent periods that are an issue at the moment?

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2024, 12:34:17 PM »

If your anxiety is caused by low oestrogen it'll help, if it's another cause it won't. Mine went completely after 3 months on hrt. If you don't have much of a cycle of your own hrt can regulate it. I've been on both evorel sequi and gel/patch with utrogestan, neither controlled my periods though of course your experience may be different. Hrt also protects your bones and heart.

Hannahlou

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2024, 12:53:39 PM »

If your anxiety is caused by low oestrogen it'll help, if it's another cause it won't. Mine went completely after 3 months on hrt. If you don't have much of a cycle of your own hrt can regulate it. I've been on both evorel sequi and gel/patch with utrogestan, neither controlled my periods though of course your experience may be different. Hrt also protects your bones and heart.

Thanks for the advice sheila99. I guess the only way is to maybe try it and see. I’m unsure at the moment if to try or leave it for a while. My periods are irregular but I’m having one a month or as at the moment, 2 a month. I’ve not missed a period yet