Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How many hot flushes is too many?  (Read 713 times)

AngelaH

Re: How many hot flushes is too many?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2024, 02:28:35 PM »

I can think of two reasons why it's less commonly prescribed;
As far as I know the reason why it’s not so popular as bio/body identical HRT is because Tibolone has high risk of stroke, so it’s prescribed usually under the age of 60. Those, who take bio/ body identical HRT they can continue with it to the rest of life, it’s considered to be lower risk HRT and so no age limit for using it.

In younger women, the risk profile of tibolone is broadly similar to that for conventional combined hormone-replacement therapy (HRT). For women older than about 60 years, the risks associated with tibolone start to outweigh the benefits because of the increased risk of stroke.

https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/tibolone-benefit-risk-balance#:~:text=The%20LIFT%20study%20identified%20a,tibolone%20increases%20with%20older%20age.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 04:25:48 PM by AngelaH »

MrsMitch

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2024, 04:18:43 PM »

So not wanting to hijack someone else's thread but with regard to bio indentical HRT,  I bought some online a few years back. It was pretty 'proper' HRT for me and it cost an arm and a leg. I persevered for about 6 months and apart from having less money it did nothing for my symptoms.  Seeing as those on here who have tried it report success, I wonder should I have sourced it somewhere else or from a different manufacturer.  Maybe what I had wasn't the genuine article being online.

merrygoround

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2024, 07:43:20 AM »

Could it make too much of one hormone though. Or does it cause balance?
For me it causes balance. I'm very intolerant to progesterone, quite sensitive to hormones in general throughout my life and tibolone is by far the best one for me, it really helps me have that nice balanced feeling instead of a roller coaster ride.

Interesting merrygoround what you say about timeline.  I took it a few years ago and found it easy to manage, except for initial acne.  It caused bleeding which stopped when I stopped tiblone.  Got scared so have only been on local hrt since.  It did sort out hot flushes.  How long have you taken it as I want to try hrt again and maybe go back on tiblone.  I thought it was advised for short periods of time and banned in USA? Dorastar, hope you don't mind me asking on your thread.
My skin has been better since menopause and stayed that way with either tibolone or other HRTs. I had acne as a teen, still got scars on my chin, but tibolone is fine for me. I was given it initially because the GP was scared to give me hormonal HRT so gave me steroidal HRT instead. Another doctor (personal friend) has told me that is utter nonsense because the class of chemicals is called steroidal hormones, they are the same and the GP was bullshitting me.
Tibolone's not been approved yet in the USA because despite the benefits to menopausal women they don't want to make an anabolic steroid so easily available because young male athletes might abuse it! I'm sure they'll get there eventually, it's not banned, just never been approved in that country. In Canada it might even been a controlled substance for the same reason.
For menopausal women, that mild steroid effect is very beneficial, it has been found to be as good as and likely better than HRT for our bones and it has a strong anti-anxiety effect too.

Penguin

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2024, 07:53:34 AM »

So not wanting to hijack someone else's thread but with regard to bio indentical HRT,  I bought some online a few years back. It was pretty 'proper' HRT for me and it cost an arm and a leg. I persevered for about 6 months and apart from having less money it did nothing for my symptoms.  Seeing as those on here who have tried it report success, I wonder should I have sourced it somewhere else or from a different manufacturer.  Maybe what I had wasn't the genuine article being online.

Hi Mrs Mitch
Have a look at the compounded hormones thread started by Mary G on here, it's really interesting and definitely the route I'll be going down if I ever go back on hrt. If you want to do it under supervision you could look at the Marion Gluck Clinic or the London Hormone Clinic as they both offer this option.
Penguin x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2024, 07:58:05 AM »

tamoxifen - prescribed to lower oestrogen levels - caused cold flushes down my back.   >:(

Dorastar.  Do U have a plan? 

AngelaH

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2024, 09:35:23 AM »

I was given it initially because the GP was scared to give me hormonal HRT so gave me steroidal HRT instead.

Sex hormones are steroids anyway.

Sex hormones, also known as sex steroids, gonadocorticoids and gonadal steroids, are steroid hormones that interact with vertebrate steroid hormone receptors.[1] The sex hormones include the androgens, estrogens, and progestogens

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_hormone

But Tibolone is classified as a synthetic steroid. Bio/body identical HRT is plant steroid.

Dorastar

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2024, 09:22:15 PM »

To the person who asked if I had a plan, erm no not yet, still working out what on earth it all means.
Trying to shift some weight with sensible eating & exercise and jotting down symptoms & severity for now. Some days I feel fine, others not so much & some nights I'm losing too much sleep with waking up hot. I don't sweat much (never have) so I don't know if that's why my flushes atm are really dry/burning rather than pools of sweat iyswim.
Going to monitor it all for now & do what I can but if that's not working/manageable get knowledgeable about medical options so at least if I go to doctors I have some idea of what they're on about & I can say exactly how I am/what I've tried.

That does sound suspiciously like a plan though 🤣

MrsMitch

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2024, 06:49:40 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions. Having a read through things, it's obvious that what I got online was body identical HRT not bio. Possibly why for me it didn't work.
Sorry, in my ignorance I didn't even know there was body and bio  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]