Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Fear after Hysteroscopy and D&C waiting for results  (Read 195 times)

BevM

• First Flush
Fear after Hysteroscopy and D&C waiting for results
« on: April 26, 2024, 10:49:57 AM »

I am 54 and post menopausal. I had a major panic attack on the Sunday, and on the Monday started a bleed. I saw the gynae that week and had a sonar which showed my uterine lining to be too thick, so the next day I had a hysteroscopy and D&C under GA. Afterwards he saw me and said he had not seen anything cancerous, but had sent samples away to the lab.

I have the most terrible health anxiety and so have been questioning whether he would have told me he hadn't seen cancer, and then not meant it?

Also, my fear is out of control because I have neglected all my health screenings, so if there is something wrong, it's all my own fault...

Do you think I can believe the doctor?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Fear after Hysteroscopy and D&C waiting for results
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 12:04:49 PM »

Hi!  It is customary to take samples for biopsies for all procedures.  Try not to worry as it is routine.  A practitioner is unlikely to lie to a patient.  Why wouldn't you believe the Doctor who told U what he had done, routinely.  Trouble is with some medics, they know what they mean but don't think to explain clearly enough!  I spent many hours telling patients what the Clinical Assistant and House Officers actually meant!

It's not a fault to call.  Why did U not attend your various calls?  MayB in future attend?

BevM

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 12:11:42 PM »

My health anxiety makes me second guess the doctor...it's also a reason for me not going to my health screenings. In my country we don't get notices/calls- we are expected to make our own arrangements for that sort of thing. I know...I do sound crazy!

Northerngirl

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 01:19:41 PM »

BevM, you are not crazy at all.  Health anxiety is a nightmare at the best of times  especially when you are going through something like this.
I'm sure your doctor would not lie to you...he would have told you if there was anything visible that he could see. He just needs the biopsy to confirm for sure.
I've got to say how amazingly quick you were seen and had your hysteroscopy/biopsy under GA....it took me almost 7 weeks of waiting and I was extremely anxious at that time.
I was same as you with the bleeding and thickened womb lining but it all came back clear and thanks to the ladies on MM I got through it.
We're here for you  :bighug:

BevM

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 01:31:21 PM »

Thank you Northerngirl! I must say, we are very backward in many ways in this country, but at the moment the healthcare system (private) is still holding up. I can't imagine how stressful 7 weeks of waiting was for you!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 02:48:43 PM »

R U Stateside?  What's the worst that could happen if you did not make your appt.: what's the worst that could happen if you went? 

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 03:22:19 PM »

Hi BevM. You're not alone not going to health screenings, I was usually the only one waiting in the room for a mammogram screening, when I asked why, they said not many keep the appointments and its mostly out of fear. The advice I can give you if you are still feeling the same about any screenings is to keep
aware of any health issues that arise and see your GP.

Any procedure usually means a sample is taken to the lab, if its a boil on the bum, it gets taken to the lab, try not to worry  :)