Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Too much oestorgen making me worse?  (Read 282 times)

inthewoods4

Too much oestorgen making me worse?
« on: April 26, 2024, 01:17:26 PM »

Hi, I'm 40 and started on HRT 2.5 months ago after suffering extreme anxiety/breakdown at Christmas. I am also taking citalopram which has helped me in the past. I'm wondering if I really need HRT, and that maybe I was clutching at straws, desperate for something to make me feel better. I was having brain fog and tiredness last summer, but I'd also just had a baby.
Anyway, my mood is all over the place. I'm actually worse on the oestrogen patches than the progesterone (i'm on evorel 50) and I'm starting to wonder if all the hormone fluctuations are making me worse, and that maybe I should let the citalopram do its thing on its own.
My other thought is cutting my evorel 50 patch in half and seeing if a lower dose might work?
Any advice would be much appreciated, I'm losing it a bit now x

Banjo1973

Re: Too much oestorgen making me worse?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 01:39:28 PM »

Hi,

So sorry to hear you're having a bad time.

I am in no way qualified to give advice, but personally, I would go with your gut and wean yourself off HRT and give your AD a chance to work.

After I had my second child at 34 I had quite bad memory problems, and any intelligence seemed to disappear. I also got some random hot flushes. Anyway, someone mentioned menopause and I went to the Dr. He told me he could do a test if I wanted to but he was sure I wasn't menopausal just by looking at me (there was much more said but that's the only thing I remember because it seemed so strange). Anyway... he was right. My hormones must've gone a bit crazy after my second child and took a long long time to settle (at least 3 or 4 years).

It is possible that you are not peri at all. Even if you are, my starter dose of oestrogen was half of what you're on (although I've never taken patches) and I was happy on that dose for quite a while.

Obviously I'm not telling what to do, just offering my opinion. And some love xx

Take care xxx

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 02:24:21 PM »

There's a reason they call it baby brain. I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the pregnancy that's done it rather than meno. Tiredness can be expected too, a new baby is a big strain on your body.

inthewoods4

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 04:45:31 PM »

Thank you both, it's very much appreciated. I have decided to stop the HRT, I wasn't on it for very long so hopefully won't have too many problems, and it's a relief so have taken action, when I had a niggly feeling it was potentially causing more harm than good...