Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: OTC Products for VA  (Read 251 times)

Kathleen

OTC Products for VA
« on: April 18, 2024, 11:42:23 AM »

Hello ladies.

I am very post meno and on a low dose of HRT. I am currently awaiting a scan as I have had some pinkish spotting for a while.

I was thinking of booking a scan privately but the state of my bits means that this would be very uncomfortable. Are there any OTC preparations that would help?

I should add that recent blood tests show that my Oestradiol is very low and I continue to experience mood changes. The last time I had VA symptoms that were this bad was when I gave up HRT altogether. I eventually restarted HRT but I did try Yes VM and Replens at that time. That was a few years ago and I understand that there is a new product now available called Gina (?) that can be bought OTC. Has anyone tried this and does it require a prescription?

Thanks for reading this ladies and take care.

K.

Dotty

Re: OTC Products for VA
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 02:34:35 PM »

You can buy Gina over the counter, but it’s cheaper to get it on prescription from your GP….i think it’s the same as Vagifem.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 04:08:25 PM »

Hello Dotty and thank you for your reply.

I wasn't sure that I had the name right but I Googled Gina and I learned a bit more about it.
You are right, it can be bought OTC but some suppliers say that you need to have your GPs permission first if you are also taking systemic HRT.

I take your point about Gina/ Vagifem  being available on prescription and that would be much better obviously.

Thanks again again take care.

K.

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 04:09:27 PM »

Gina is exactly the same as Vagifem and can be bought OTC if you are over 50. You can also buy Ovestin cream online from Superdrug.
Both easily available on prescription but as you are having investigations soon, a GP will probably make you wait until the results.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 04:59:27 PM »

Hello Ayesha and thank you for your post.

You make a good point and I will talk to my Nurse Practitioner about it. I don't think I will get as far as a GP!

Take care.

K.