Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Recovering from Sinus Infection  (Read 869 times)

Penguin

Re: Recovering from Sinus Infection
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024, 08:07:56 AM »

Hi Dotty
I had this after a virus/ really bad cold thing last February. I was unwell for weeks and weeks with it, but my sinus on one side didn't get back to normal until August, and I ended up on Avamys a steroid nasal spray which did the job. If you have post nasal drip, that also causes a cough. I also worried and worried and ended up at the doctor but for me it was post viral fatigue (which took 6 weeks to go) and a sensitivity (irritation / inflammation cycle) which lingered on right side due to that sinus probably being narrower. Anyway, I came on to say that these things can take a lot longer to resolve than what the NHS says, particularly as we get older.
Also re the cough, I've had coughs after bugs which have lasted 4-6 weeks. If you've had a bug and have a cough it's far less likely to be anything bad than if you are well and develop a cough out of nowhere.  But yep, I'm the same and automatically talk myself into lung cancer too.
Don't forget though that in meno , all our mucous membranes are drier, and that includes those in the respiratory tract and lungs. Everytime I try and stop my estrogel , my throat dries out and I get a throat cough especially on waking. So things can also take longer from that perspective too.
Finally, also a thumbs up for the Neilmed sinus rinse. But do consider short term use of a steroid spray if the sinuses don't settle, as it really does knock the irritation / inflammation (which becomes a vicious cycle) on its head. I no longer use mine now as its done its job. Don't get mixed the steroid one up with the antihistamine drying type one as I did try that first and it made it worse. The one you'd need you will need to get from the GP on prescription.
Penguin x

buffy26

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2024, 08:46:39 AM »

I swear by AVogel remedies, to slowly clear the sinuses, the tincture is called Plantago. Its also good when you feel a sinus issue just starting, to nip it in the bud. Although things like sudafed are great for really bad headpain scenarious the AVogel is good for when you are at the beginning of symptoms and the tail end, I find anyway!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2024, 09:19:09 AM »

It was the feeling of being hung over for no reason that annoyed me  ;D as well as not daring to bend over  :o

Good points Penguin  :thankyou:

DottyD68

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2024, 10:41:59 AM »

Thanks Penguin. You make some very good points - especially about the mucous membrane dryness. I do feel that menopausal symptoms make recovery longer and being under the weather exacerbates the menopause symptoms.

I have just returned from my acupuncture session and she also mentioned post-viral fatigue. I just need to be patient.

I already have/use a nasal spray (dymista) which I use for allergic rhinitis. Another menopause "gift"  ::)

Thank you for your reply x

DottyD68

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2024, 10:47:09 AM »

Thanks for your reply Buffy26.

I find the Avogel videos/information really useful so I will take a look.

I have been taking sudafed off and on for the past month or so and found it is very effective for clearing the mucus. I got to the point when I felt I was taking so many different things and feeling ropey I decided to stop just to get a base line.

DottyD68

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2024, 10:49:03 AM »

CLKD,

My husband was cleaning our bikes last week and had to stop because bending over made him feel so unwell - well that was his excuse  ;)

Penguin

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2024, 11:09:01 AM »

Thanks Penguin. You make some very good points - especially about the mucous membrane dryness. I do feel that menopausal symptoms make recovery longer and being under the weather exacerbates the menopause symptoms.

I have just returned from my acupuncture session and she also mentioned post-viral fatigue. I just need to be patient.

I already have/use a nasal spray (dymista) which I use for allergic rhinitis. Another menopause "gift"  ::)

Thank you for your reply x

You're welcome. I've been advised that having coconut water to sip overnight if I wake instead of water will help prevent waking up so dry. It is good because it also has natural electrolytes in. I've bought some to try tonight.

DottyD68

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2024, 11:28:13 AM »

I've never tried coconut water. I will give it a try.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2024, 12:08:55 PM »

Get a proper coconut and chop in half, being careful to save the liquid [milk] inside.  1 gets to chew on the nut too though it can take some time  ::)

Penguin

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2024, 12:13:20 PM »

I've never tried coconut water. I will give it a try.

Innocent, Rude Health or CocoVita are good brands,  you don't want one with other rubbish added in x

Rumbaba

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2024, 07:51:15 PM »

Hi

Me again. I'm just feeling so down with this cough,  I'm at my wits end.

It's a real barky cough, and it seems to always get worse in the evenings. I also have a runny nose, so it's probably a post nasal drip.

Also, where I am coughing so much, I keep wetting myself, which makes me feel even lower. I have to wear tena lady all the time now.  I'm also doing up on max strength cold & flu remedy, but the packet says you can't take for more than 5 days..

Funnily enough it doesn't keep me awake, and I feel like I want to sleep all the time, just to get some respite.

I'm sorry to come on here to whine, but I just feel so low.  :'(

Rumbaba x

DottyD68

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2024, 08:26:37 PM »

Hi Rhumbaba!

Sorry to hear that you are still struggling. I am just about getting back to normal (physically) and that is after 5 weeks, so if it is anything like I've had it will take a while. Any chance you can get to see a GP before the 30th? I am managing to do more during the day but conk out mid afternoon for a couple of hours and still up and down mood wise. As others have suggested I am just trying to take it easy and let my body recover. But it is very frustrating and I can really appreciate how low you feel.

Hope you start to feel better soon. Take care X

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2024, 07:49:43 AM »

In the 1990s I used high dose magnesium to ease the tight chest muscles, it really did work and the cough went in about a week.  That was after 3 months of coughing, night and day.  However, it did have a loosening effect on the old bowels  :o ::)
Pages: 1 [2]