Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: GP appointments, is this standard now?  (Read 6169 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: GP appointments, is this standard now?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2024, 05:20:49 PM »

I'm upset for you and the situation that you witnessed.  It's not ON! we pay for these facilities and the NHS is open for business.  A couple of years ago our Surgery tried to make us all go 'on line' to make appts., I can tell you they got an earful - in the nicest possible way initially.  Where was the humanity from the receptionist  >:(

Penguin

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2024, 05:27:42 PM »

I don't understand the logic at all. I mean, they provide information in all different languages and in braille to make sure people aren't discriminated against, yet they are clearly discriminating on the basis of age, its dreadful. My mum would never have been able to do an e consult, she couldn't even work out how to use an atm and used to buy things in shops where she could get cash back.
Gosh that poor lady, I wonder what she ended up doing.

DottyD68

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2024, 05:38:22 PM »

My F-I-L was in palliative care for 2 years before passing away last October. He wasn't a patient man but he literally could not face having to contact his surgery as he knew he would be in a queue of 20+ people on the phone. As a result I think he didn't address many health issues that could have been managed better with treatment/meds. It is a disgrace.

The cynic in me thinks it is a deliberate ploy to make people not even bother trying to contact the surgery as they can't cope with demand. I fear we have a health bomb waiting to go off in years to come as a result of many unaddressed issues.

I think the receptionists have a rubbish job. I could not do it - I would want to help everyone but that is not management guidelines. Apparently 3 of the receptionists in my surgery were off sick last week. I wonder why.

jaypo

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2024, 06:19:00 PM »

You can buy the dipsticks online Dotty,exactly the same ones as the Drs use xx

getting_old

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2024, 06:32:42 PM »

I was in my local surgery earlier and a very elderly lady shuffled to the desk with her walking stick. She asked the receptionist if she could make an appointment and was firmly told that she need to fill out an econsult online! I didn't hear the detail of all of the rest of the conversation but she just looked bewildered and the receptionist ended up spending a long time explaining what an econsult was and that it was the only way to get an appointment. I'm pretty sure this lady didn't have a PC or any clue how to go about completing an econsult. I just find it totally unacceptable that people are being forced down the digital route just to get basic medical services when they are not equipped to and never will be. So much focus is placed on being inclusive these days and yet this is an example of a total lack of inclusivity.

Absolutely awful. How can they expect people of that age to do everything digitally. Hopefully she has a family member who can help, but if not she may never be seen by a doctor. It's neglect by the surgery as they should have an alternative method for those who cannot use computers. As you say it's a lack of inclusivity, but they don't care because they're elderly yet doctors are paid more for elderly patients  >:(

DottyD68

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2024, 06:52:15 PM »

My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers during covid when I was her bubble. I had to organise all her appointments, vaccinations etc. Fortunately her surgery operated the "old-fashioned" phone up and get an appointment system, but even that was stressful for me and getting her to the surgery another challenge with masks (which she didn't understand) and reducing mobility etc. It sounds awful but I am so glad now she is in a care home as I don't think could cope going through the whole econsult business in addition for all her issues. It's bad enough dealing with my own stuff. I really feel for the family of elderly people having to go through this performance every time they need to get medical attention. The system seems broken.
Pages: 1 2 [3]