Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Gepretix oral and vaginal 100 mg (and 200 mg)  (Read 6275 times)

Hurdity

Gepretix oral and vaginal 100 mg (and 200 mg)
« on: April 10, 2024, 03:00:52 PM »

There have been some posts about Gepretix vs Utrogestan so I thought I’d do a little research.

I’m unlikely to try this myself because I am fortunate to be prescribed the 200 mg vaginal Utrogestan and wouldn't ever take it orally (I'm a nil-by-mouth HRT gal).

Here is what I’ve found:

1   Gepretix is made (or at least authorised) by Exeltis based in Spain, and is manufactured in two doses in the same way as Utrogestan

2   In some other EU countries Gepretix comes as 100 mg or 200 mg doses.

3   The detailed product information is all on the one “leaflet” for both doses. The information I have comes from the French leaflet, for use in Belgium – on their medicines database.

4   Gepretix 200 mg appears to be exactly the same size as Utrogestan 200 mg

5   Gepretix 100 mg is larger than Utrogestan 100 mg (so will be a little easier to insert vaginally)

6   Gepretix 100 mg and 200 mg are both designed for oral or vaginal use (same as for Utrogestan in other countries than UK).

7   Interestingly it gives oral use for menopause, or to regulate an irregular menstrual cycle,  and vaginal use for fertility – whereas Utrogestan (French info) gives vaginal use where there are side effects from oral use). The important point is that they are manufactured to be used either/both ways.

8   Although for menopausal use, oral intake is given as 200 mg per day (for cyclical use) for 12-14 days per cycle, in the Belgian info there is no mention of 100 mg for days 1-25 of 28 day cycle ie semi-continuous use.

9   In addition, from what I can make out, the pharmacokinetic data (the time pattern of what happens to the hormone in the body), also suggests for vaginal intake that a more stable plasma concentration if progesterone is obtained if the 200 mg dose is split between morning and night ie 2 x 100 mg. Google translate gives:

“After administration of 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg in the evening at bedtime, an average plasma concentration of 9.7 ng/ml (30.9 nmol/l) is obtained for 24 hours.  This dosage of 200 mg per day induces
stable physiological plasma concentrations of progesterone, similar to those observed during luteal phase of a menstrual cycle with normal ovulation. “

So there you have it. The differences from the product info in UK, as with Utrogestan, will be due to different regulations and licensing in the different countries and not to differences in the product between the different nations (well as far as I understand).

I can give links if anyone wants but all easily found by Googling.

Hope this is helpful!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Gepretix oral and vaginal 100 mg (and 200 mg)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 03:38:02 PM »

:thankyou:

chopsuey

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 05:27:27 PM »

Thank you Hurdity. That info is very helpful and reassuring to know

Monica24

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 04:00:11 PM »

Super ! Thanks, Hurdity!