Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Advice please - HRT & periods  (Read 7458 times)

Jags28

• First Flush
Advice please - HRT & periods
« on: April 10, 2024, 09:20:50 AM »

Hi I’m new to this forum and would like some advice please. I’m 52, peri menopausal and been on HRT patches for nearly 2 years; started on Everol Sequi then after a review with my GP, she put me on Everol Conti which I’ve been on since Feb 2024.  The patches help with peri symptoms- don’t feel angry all the time, hardly get hot flushes, however I still have periods. I wanted to ask if being on HRT meant I would continue to have periods- apologies for being very naive. My periods haven’t changed since being on HRT ie become lighter or less painful, so I’m considering speaking to my GP about a referral for a hysterectomy - I feel this is my only option to stop periods. I started my periods at 12, which have always been heavy and very painful and  because of this I can only describe the last 40 years as a living hell. Just wanted to ask if anyone else is going through the same thing or been through this and there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Or should I just wait to see if my periods eventually stop, any advice/suggestions welcome. Thank you for reading this and apologies for the long post.

sheila99

Re: Advice please - HRT & periods
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 10:01:15 AM »

:welcomemm:
Hi, no it won't stop your periods. You can use a mirena for the progesterone part of hrt alongside an evorel only patch, this usually stops periods. You can also use 2xPOP, not sure if this stops them but you could investigate. Very unlikely they'll give you a hysterectomy unless there's a medical need for it.

Jags28

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 02:52:37 PM »

Thanks Sheila99.  The GP has suggested the mirena coil, but I’m not keen on that, however I’ll contact the GP and see what the other options are.   :)

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 05:19:44 PM »

Hi Jags. Good advice from Sheila. I was just wondering if when you were on sequi HRT you had natural period as well as your withdrawal bleed each month?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Jags28

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 06:09:40 PM »

Hi Taz2 yes I was still having periods and nothing has changed in the cycle.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 07:47:07 PM »

That's a lot of bleeding each month no wonder you are at the end of your tether. I was lucky in that after three months of Evorel sequi I only had a withdrawal bleed each month and no more periods. I bled for six months continuously though on the conti hrt. Not a natural period but still debilitating. It is common to have bleeding for the first six months of a conti regime. I hope you soon find a solution. Let us know what the GP suggests

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 07:59:47 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes, ask away  :great:

Jags28

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 09:05:13 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Taz and will let you know what the GP says

Jags

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 09:44:49 AM »

If your own cycle is pretty regular but always of step with the hrt one you can adjust the hrt cycle to fit in with your own.

PennyD

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 11:55:14 PM »

Hi, I’m on an estrogen patch along with a progesterone only pill called Slynd. It has stopped my periods completely. The one I take, Slynd is designed to help with heavy bleeding, but there are other options like Desogestral that you need to take 2 of. Look at the various types of HRT and different combinations, in my experience sometimes gps are unaware of specific options until you bring it to their attention. Shouldn’t be the case but here we are! Xx

Jags28

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 04:20:09 PM »

Hi Penny, thanks for this, I’ve heard of Slynd so will keep this in mind. Managed to speak to my GP who has now suggested a scan so waiting for the appt and see what the results are  :-\