Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Apologies - update  (Read 24828 times)

Jules

Re: Apologies - update
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2024, 05:20:46 PM »

Just letting you know that I had a tiny polyp removed from inside my cervix, the consultant doesnt think its anything to worry about but of course will send for biopsy. The consultant and nurses were lovely and kind but if I need anything like that again, she said they would do under GA. I feel a bit traumatised actually.  Im very relieved its over after worrying these weeks and feel reassured now. Although the staff on the day were wonderful, the lead up - duplicate and conflicting appointment letters, the GP shambles of communication and me having  to stop my estrogen contributed to my anxiety. After being told 5 days before my appointment that I shouldnt have been using my topical estrogen till after Id been seen as it's contraindicated to cancer, I got into a terrible state and had a panic attack at the weekend.  The consultant wasnt worried about me having continued to use ovestin, and shes happy for me to resume my topical treatment.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2024, 06:40:55 PM »

Great you got through it and really good that all looks ok. Hopefully you can start to relax now. You need to recover from all the stress.

SarahT

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2024, 07:15:51 PM »

Thank you Jules,

I am so very sorry what a scary stressful time you have had. You may need a bit of time to  mull all this over, so remember to be kind to yourself, go.forward gently
I wish you all the best Jules

Jules

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2024, 07:28:09 PM »

Yes. I have to say I was offered no local anaesthetic and though gas and air was mentioned, during the procedure it wasnt offered. To say it was painful is an understatement, I was drifting in and out of a faint with the pain and took me a bit to stop shaking after. But im relieved nothing sinister was found. I asked if the topical estrogen might have caused the polyp but she said not, just one of those things. Im now a bit nervous of using too much topical estrogen as I dont want another bleed and have to go through another check.

suzysunday

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2024, 07:52:54 PM »

So sorry to hear of your experience.  It doesn't seem right you weren't offered pain relief. How traumatic for you.  I completely understand your anxiety about using anything that you think might cause bleeding.  I was exactly the same following bleeding while using tibolone.  I have only been using local hrt since and like you I was so worried about using that.  But I absolutely have to use it otherwise life would be unbearable.  I've been using alternate nights for several years with no problems.  But you have to do what is best for you.  I totally understand that crippling health anxiety that takes you over.  And after the painful biopsy you must be really struggling mentally and physically.  Give yourself time to recover.. Do you have someone close supporting you?  I hope so.  I know that local hrt is considered safe but you have to decide for yourself. But if you need it for reducing atrophy and urine urgency then you have to balance that with your anxiety about using it.  It's really difficult. 

Northerngirl

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2024, 07:55:14 PM »

Sounds like you've had a traumatic day Jules, I'm glad today is finally over for you .Hope you can get a good night's sleep tonight.
Like others have said it will take some time for you to get back to some kind of normal after a tough few months.
Take care of yourself  :bighug:

Jules

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2024, 08:01:38 PM »

Thankyou. Suzy, yes I also need it for the atrophy so I will definately start again as things have already deteriorated in those parts since stopping and then reducing the vagifem and I now have missed again for a week. Its just finding what my body can handle. Im hopefully going to sleep tonight and not wake with a sinking stomach. Im seeing somebody next week about the health anxiety. It may not be for me but Im willing to try anything to avoid anything like ive had again. I know what's lead to it, its just finding a strategy to manage it.

suzysunday

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2024, 08:05:57 PM »

I came off it for a few months when I had a biopsy and it took AGES to get back on track. Never again.  I hope you get some sleep.  All the best to you x

fiftyplus

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2024, 09:07:04 PM »

I am glad you got through today after what has been a very stressful time for you.  I hope and it sounds like the worst of it is behind you now.  Take good care of and be kind to yourself Jules  :bighug:

Jules

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2024, 09:11:59 PM »

She didnt say whether I could insert the vagifem or had to wait until healed. Im certainly not tonight but dont want to wait another week. Does anybody know?

Jules

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2024, 07:15:28 AM »

Just to finish off. I've had a bad night. Kept jumping from sleep, dull cramps too. I've just been reading research and experiences about this procedure. Some women describing the exact same thing. Also varies between hospitals. It's been raised as a parliamentary issue before. The procedure being carried out without pain relief and the financial issue around GA. Seems the nhs might not consider it a priority within their funding hence waits for GA. Fair to say, the written advice provided with appointments is way off the reality for some of us, there was never a question about stopping yesterday when I was screaming out and fainting. And I was being roused from my faint to be asked if the doctor could remove the polyp. I could barely speak.  I can't fault the staff and their care but in the 21st century we shouldn't be having to tolerate that level of pain. I was given tea and biscuits for the shock but wasn't provided a sanitary pad. Walked out of the hospital dazed and bleeding. Having read about it, it seems that because some women tolerate it, some barely feel it, its a "give it a go" procedure, saves money and time, and most women have endured childbirth so we'll cope with this. I don't want to worry anybody who is due this procedure, and i know some women on here were fine, as the leaflet says, its well tolerated by most women, but I wasn't in that category. I'd advise you ask your questions. I didn't, I was extremely anxious and needed to know I hadn't got cancer and so blanked it out and just turned up on the day thinking the less I knew, the less I had to dwell on and fear. I wonder if men would cope with it.

Penguin

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2024, 07:40:51 AM »

If men had to have them they probably wouldn't do them without GA. I can't believe they don't proactively offer at least a local for an invasive procedure like that. I had private IVF and had two hysteroscopies and it wasn't even an option to have it done awake. It wasn't a GA though, it is called enhanced sedation where you ate actually asleep.

Jules

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2024, 08:00:28 AM »

If men had to have them they probably wouldn't do them without GA. I can't believe they don't proactively offer at least a local for an invasive procedure like that. I had private IVF and had two hysteroscopies and it wasn't even an option to have it done awake. It wasn't a GA though, it is called enhanced sedation where you ate actually asleep.
I don't believe they would expect men to tolerate that. The nurse mentioned it being my anxiety,  as though that had caused me to experience pain more. It wasn't.  It was severe pain.

Penguin

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2024, 08:06:39 AM »

I don't believe they would expect men to tolerate that. The nurse mentioned it being my anxiety,  as though that had caused me to experience pain more. It wasn't.  It was severe pain.

Oh every time I turned up to the GP, no matter what it's for, it gets put down to my anxiety. Reflux, indigestion, even constipation lol

suzysunday

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2024, 08:09:53 AM »

When I needed a hysteroscopy I was so scared. I found a site called "What do they know" about freedom of information.  If you type ", hysteroscopy " in search it shows what health authorities offer in this regard.  A Katherine Tylko is involved and I emailed her and she was very helpful regarding GA's and pain relief.  I asked for a general anaesthetic even though it wasn't offered.  I got one with no problem.  I knew I couldn't do it without one.  I am so sorry to hear of your experience Jules and it really is quite outrageous.   I really can't believe how you were treated.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6