Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Combined Pill  (Read 834 times)

Pater01

Combined Pill
« on: March 05, 2024, 03:09:22 PM »

Hi Ladies

Anyone tried HRT for a while and found it wasn't working and the GP suggest you go back on the combined pill.

I was on rigevidon for years no problems.  Then last year was a bit off.  Another GP suggested I try HRT patches and utrogeston.  Gone up various doses and still not right and achy all the time.

Now been told to stop HRT and try back on the pill.  Now I know these are different as HRT is natural hormones and pill is synthetic.  But I am happy to try it again to see if it helps.

I am 47, so know I can't be on the pill much longer.

Just wanted to hear of ladies that have tried this and it worked.  No horror stories please.  I will give it 3 months and if not go back to GP.

Thanks

Vicky81

Re: Combined Pill
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 12:52:01 PM »

Hi - I am on Yasmin combined pill for peri - since Dec 2022 - before this i tried gel, antidepressants etc - nothing worked at all.

My initial symptoms were very bad depression/raging anxiety - couldn't leave the flat, off work for 3 months.

Yasmin alongside my 75mg patch cut down to 65mg is my sweet spot!

Stocko100

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 11:09:07 AM »

Hi @Vicky81    Really pleased Yasmin is working for you.  I'm about to ask my doctor for the same, I used to be on it years ago and it was fine.   Hoping it will help again now.  Would you mind advising whether you're on a separate progesterone too? 

joziel

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 06:58:14 PM »

I think you are probably just not absorbing the patches very well. Many women who absorb badly transdermally absorb fine orally. The pill is oral...

You have a few options. You are going to need to come off the pill anyway soon, plus it is synthetic estrogen and progestin so not great for you anyway.

You can increase your HRT estrogen dose. Have you got up to 100mcg patch? You can also try up to 4 pumps of Oestrogel which is the equivalent. Some women absorb the gel better than patches (and vice versa). If you need more estrogen, you will likely either need to get a referral to an NHS menopause clinic or go private. I'm with Newson Health and on 9 pumps of gel because I don't absorb it. That gives me 450pmol, which is what many people have on 4 pumps(!).

The other option is to go for an oral HRT. You should absorb that as well as your pill but it will be body identical estrogen and if you go for Bijuve, also body identical progesterone. (Google Bijuve.)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 07:58:11 PM »

Hi Pater01

There are two combined pills that contain bio-identical estradiol ie "natural" hormones - the same as in our body and in most HRT types, and can be prescribed I think to an older age than the conventional combined pills that contain the synthetic ethinyl estradiol. These are called QLAIRA (contains estradiol in the form of estradiol valerate converted in the body to estradiol) and ZOELY. Qlaira I think only has two placebo days and the rest of the cycle the pills contain estradiol at varying concentrations between 1 and 3 mg.  Eventually this will suppress the natural menstrual cycle but give you replacement oestrogen. Yes the progestogen is synthetic - dienogest - one of the more modern types I think?

There are not many reports on here of women using these but I like to think this is because once they've tried it, it works and they don't come back to the forum - though would be wonderful to hear some good stories (or even some negative).

Try going to the home page and searching though you will probably bring up lots of my posts recommending it - but maybe some stories from women using it too?

Hurdity x