Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hrt and fibroids  (Read 862 times)

SaraUK

Hrt and fibroids
« on: March 29, 2024, 03:09:26 PM »

Last week I had an ultrasound scan for bladder issues and two fibroids were found. One 5cm and 1cm. I I’ve been on hrt for 2years, on two pumps of oestrogel and cyclic utrogestan (200mg 14 days per month, up to January this year when I went to 3 pumps and continuous utrogestan (100mg daily). I still had bladder issues and anxiety went haywire with severe panic attacks. (Probably due to bladder and worsening external burning). Progesterone intolerance suspected so put on a long 11 week oestrogel only cycle, with a two week provera sometime in May.

Now I’m freaking out that the newly found fibroids will mean stopping hrt.

Im 53, last bleed October last year.

I’ve recently dropped to 2 pumps in March and this last week down to 1 pump since finding fibroids. So far no increased anxiety or flashes/night sweats.

Bladder issues the same. Tried everything for that including daily vagifem for months with ovestin.

I’ve got to wait until weds before I speak to menopause nurse.

Could all the bladder and external burning be caused by fibroids?

I don’t know what to do now.

sheila99

Re: Hrt and fibroids
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 06:30:20 PM »

I don't think so, I think it's more likely to be va related. Too much oestrogen can cause anxiety as well as too little, particularly the feeling wired type. Systemic hrt is often not enough for va but it isn't something I know a lot about, perhaps someone else will have some suggestions for it. Did you keep a diary? Was your anxiety bad only on utro?
  Is there a plan to remove the fibroids?

Violetta808

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 11:24:21 AM »

I agree with sheila99 that your bladder issues sound VA related.

Fibroids are incredibly common and many women aged 40+ have them and have no idea they are there. They are benign growths.

As your fibroids are tiny, were an incidental finding on your scan and aren’t causing symptoms (some types of fibroids can cause random bleeding, but as you’ve not had a bleed since October you’ve no need to be concerned) I would think there’s no reason to have them removed and definitely no need to stop or even reduce HRT on account of them.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 11:26:45 AM by Violetta808 »

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 12:57:30 PM »

I had a fibroid for years. Every time I had a scan it was mentioned, but I was always told that there was no concern with it and they did not think my bleeding was related to it. Like Violetta808 says they are really common and most of us don't even know we have them.

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 12:58:55 PM »

Can you have fibroids even if you don't have heavy or prolonged bleeding?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 01:18:28 PM »

My understanding is that fibroids for many people cause no symptoms at all. I was told categorically by the gynae that my fibroid was was not causing my bleeding and would not cause me issues. The bleeding was due to other issues (being on HRT)

Violetta808

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 01:26:29 PM »

Can you have fibroids even if you don't have heavy or prolonged bleeding?

I’m no doctor but… yes definitely. They can occur anywhere within the uterine muscle but it’s only the ones that bulge out of the endometrium into the uterine space that tend to cause bleeding - and only sometimes.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 01:48:37 PM »

But then there's also the problem that oestrogen can make fibroids grow, hence the hrt concern.

Violetta808

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 02:01:45 PM »

I absolutely agree, sheila99. I have fibroids that bleed when I take HRT, unfortunately. But as OP SarahUK hasn’t experienced this I wanted to reassure her that she’s in the lucky majority who have asymptomatic fibroids.

SaraUK

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 05:43:29 PM »

Thanks. But I’ve been on daily vagifem for 4 months and every other day prior for 6 months. I also use ovestin daily too. Nothing has helped my bladder (internal bladder burning and continuous urge to wee, full bladder feeling). 3.5 months ago I developed horrendous external burning. Even on all this topical oestrogen. Nurse said all looks healthy. I stopped the vagifem 4 days ago and the external burning has subsided. Not gone completely but it’s less.

I’m now worried that my lack of bleeding and finding what looks like a fibroid might be something worse. That’s my health anxiety kicking in.

I speak to nurse on weds. I honestly don’t know what to do next. I can’t live with this bladder issue. I’ll have to be referred to a urogynocologist asap.

I’ve started testosterone two weeks ago too. No improvement.

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 05:50:55 PM »

Any possibility it's a prolapse pressing on the bladder?

SaraUK

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 06:15:03 PM »

The nurse examined me and said no sign of prolapse.

The ultrasound saw that I have a backwards tilted uterus which is normal she said and common.

So who knows! Would they have noticed a prolapse on an ultrasound?

SaraUK

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 06:44:32 PM »

Quick update. I stopped vagifem a week ago and the external burning has reduced. It’s not gone completely but definitely less. Does this mean all this time, that the burning could be caused by too much daily dose of vagifem?

Even on daily vagifem for months, my bladder issues continue. Like a fullness feeling and an urge to wee even when I don’t need to go. It’s not got better at all.