Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Facial eczema and sore down below  (Read 15199 times)

ACS2010

Facial eczema and sore down below
« on: April 07, 2024, 05:58:00 PM »

Hi everyone
Newbie here who is feeling confused, frustrated and pretty down. I’m 50 and for the first time ever I’ve not had a period for over 60 days. Coming at the same time as this I’ve been hit with horrendous eye and facial eczema for the first time in my life, to the point my the skin around my eyes is raging red and swollen as well as itchy red patches on chin and around lips. I also have red itching sore split skin around my labia and bottom  :'(. My GP is vague and distant and so far has prescribed weak 0.5 hydrocortisone cream for my face which solves it virtually in hours, however it comes back if I stop using it. I also know the risky side effects as I’m a huge Googler due to health anxiety. GP also prescribed Canesten HC for downstairs which helped but the soreness came back at the end of the course and my thrush swab was negative. I’m wondering if this is all actually related to menopause and at my next precious GP appointment I should ask about HRT to try and help as well as alternative treatments for the eczema such as TCIs as opposed to risky steroids. I’m so down, and its so hard to get doctors appointments quickly. I’m a teacher who needs to be well to do my job and am also battling a chronic uti condition. My hubbie works away a lot and doesn’t really understand and I don’t really have close friends nearby to talk to. Anybody else have any similar experiences/cures that they can share.  TIA

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Facial eczema and sore down below
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 06:12:38 PM »

It sounds like an allergic reaction to something: have U altered your laundry powder or what you eat/drink in the last 2 months, although Hormones can cause acne! 

My periods waxed and waned for a few years: I would bleed regularly then miss several periods  ::).  B4 they disappeared.  Following that I had a few hot flushes as well as itchiness down my back after my evening bath for a few months, years later atrophy began.  Initially as repeated urine infection-type symptoms but samples were clear. 

When I get the need2P feelings I swallow 'nurofen' to relieve the nip as the urine flow shuts off. 

canestan made me burn so much that I had to sit in a cooling bath for hours  :-\ - that was B4 I was diagnosed with VA.

Do STOP using GOOGLE.  Steroids have a good place in chronic treatments for lots of conditions.  Keeping the eczema under control is important until you have had further discussions especially as your are front of a class!  Forgiving, kids can be  ::)

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out, including the vagina/vulva.  Muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Has your GP any knowledge of vaginal atrophy?  Do read 'the bladder issues' thread and any about atrophy, many GPs mistake urine problems as infections rather than drying of the vaginal tissues.

I would ring your surgery in the morning and ask for 'vagifem' to use internally as well as 'ovestin' on the outer labial regions.  Some GPs still believe that women can 'overdose' on VA treatments but it is a very small amount in both products. 

Let us know how you get on!  If you don't feel supported by your GP ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic: not a gynaecologist.

ACS2010

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 06:44:36 PM »

Thanks so much for your support and advice. Pretty sure it’s not an allergic reaction as Ive changed nothing since this hit. I’ve analysed everything to death!  I will make a list and ask my GP for vagifem and ovestin, as well as a meno clinic referral when I have my scheduled phone appointment on Thursday. I will do my best to stay off Google and continue to use the cream as directed, i.e. sparingly on flaring skin. I’m hoping the GP will offer something I can use longer term or a dermatologist referral. I see a Harley Street consultant for the uti as this is a condition I’ve battled for much of my life and not new (I’m not at all rich, just desperately needed treatment for a debilitating recognised condition that isn’t properly supported and treated on our beloved NHS, anyone on here who has suffered this will know all about it). I’ll post an update, and of course keen to hear others experiences

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 07:06:04 PM »

Does paying for treatment in Harley Street keep the condition under control, is it vaginal atrophy?  Some do suffer with deep seated bladder infections and certainly young girls can suffer as the urethra is very narrow.

Let us know how you get on! 

ACS2010

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 07:12:12 PM »

Yes absolutely, have had everything checked and double checked and am now able to function when I was pretty much debilitated before I went. I know menopause can cause uti like symptoms but in this case it definitely isn’t connected.
Will do!