Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Itchy Skin After Showering  (Read 825 times)

MazRia

Itchy Skin After Showering
« on: March 24, 2024, 03:51:30 PM »

Good afternoon

I am peri-menopausal, on HRT. I have noticed the past few weeks that sometimes after showering my skin is really itchy (especially my legs) I use Carex moisture plus shower cream or something similar, usually as plain as you can get and even used nothing but water as i have sensitive skin anyway but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It is driving me nuts!
Anyone experience similar and found a solution please?

Penguin

Re: Itchy Skin After Showering
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 05:41:48 PM »

Do you apply body lotion after the shower? I use Jason Aloe Vera, a natural one, as my legs would be really itchy otherwise.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 05:46:59 PM »

I find the yellow 'vaseline' body/hand cream good. 

MazRia

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 05:54:21 PM »

Thank you for your replies. Yes, sorry, omitted that i am using Neutrogena Deep Moisture body lotion, but still get itchy skin!
Havent searched yet but where's the best place for Jason Aloe Vera Penguin?

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 06:04:32 PM »

It's usually sold in a health food shop but you can buy it on amazon, I get the 84% one as the higher % is sticky. It is good value for money too, I have been buying it for years.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 07:42:10 PM »

Itchy skin of course may be due to a loss of oestrogen .......... body becomes dry inside and out.  For a while after my evening bath the area across my shoulder blades would hitch like fury, requiring a back scratcher followed by 'nivea' cream gently applied. 

ConfusedAboutHRT

• 51, peri, 75mg estrogel, mirena coil in situ
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 08:41:04 PM »

I’ve experienced very itchy skin since since Peri menopause. I actually switched to showering every other day, and just washing in between.  Hot water can be very drying, so it’s better to avoid them too hot or for too long. Same with baths. 
If your skin has become more sensitive and reactive, have you considered switching shower gels and moisturisers?  Regular shower gel contains ingredients that can be very drying and irritating.   Years ago I have minor eczema and switched to all natural products after having to use emollient cream for some time. It totally sorted out my reactive, dry and sensitive skin. It does cost more than the regular stuff but one of the cheaper ones is “faith in nature”. Some coops and Waitrose do it, and all health food/whole food stores do it too.  Or you could try a pure olive oil soap (one is called Olivia I think). It’s just one thing less to irritate your skin.  Do you use non biological laundry detergent? 

Evie606

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 08:55:38 PM »

Good afternoon

I am peri-menopausal, on HRT. I have noticed the past few weeks that sometimes after showering my skin is really itchy (especially my legs) I use Carex moisture plus shower cream or something similar, usually as plain as you can get and even used nothing but water as i have sensitive skin anyway but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It is driving me nuts!
Anyone experience similar and found a solution please?

Hi MazRia,

Are there any red/purple spots that are incredibly itchy even just one or two?

E x

merrygoround

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 09:39:11 AM »

I use Dermol 500 lotion, it's OTC or on NHS prescription.
I use it for hand washing and showering, I never use normal soap or detergents.
Detergents make me itch like crazy, soap isn't as bad as shower gel if moisturised straight after, but you're best using a cream.
I cover myself with the cream, then wash it off in the shower.
My back was still getting itchy, so I switched to washing my hair separately in the basin. That way the shampoo and conditioner don't touch my back or legs and I think stay less itchy.
Yesterday some clothes washing detergent touched my hands and I scratched until it was raw red near my elbow, not even where it touched me, then this morning my other forearm was red raw when I woke up.
I'd taken two types of antihistimine as well!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2024, 09:44:06 AM »

Some products can strip the skin surface on contact.  Even with rubber gloves I am unable to use 'fairy liquid'.  I haven't used 'comfort'-type products for many years, if the perfume remains in the laundry then the rinse cycle is working hard enough!  Which means that residue will remain in the fabric.

"Simple" products are supposed to be best.  As stated hot water can dry the skin.  It may even B that the fast droplets hitting the skin causes irritation which when dried becomes worse, do U pat dry rather than rub?