Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice before I speak to GPHi  (Read 1223 times)

Fianna

• First Flush
Advice before I speak to GPHi
« on: May 13, 2024, 08:18:06 AM »

Hi

I've been reading posts on here from some time but just joined. I don't understand much in the discussions as it's a bit like a foreign language!

I've requested a GP appointment but I'm hoping for ideas/advice as I don't really know what to ask them for (and they seem to know less than me!)

2017 I was 46 and fully perimenopausal prior to Chemotherapy which stopped my periods. After sufferring ramped up symptoms I requested HRT but was advised against due to family history of  (post menopausal) breast cancer and prescribed Fluoxetine. This made me happy and stopped flushes but it's like having a glass of wine - no motivation to get stuff done.

When I hit 50 I was told my breast cancer risk was now normal (makes no sense to me) and annual mammograms stopped. I requested HRT again, and just over a year ago I was given Evorel 50 patches and Utrogestan 100 daily. I had some spotting/bleeding for a while which seemed to settle to occasional spotting.

I thought by now HRT should mean I shouldn't need Fluoxetine, I reduced slowly then stopped at Easter (after 4 years on it). I'm a mess. The anxiety is horrible. I feel vulnerable and frightened and emotional.  I preferred being numb.

Also a couple of months ago the spotting increased. Despite this I decided to experiment with cutting up patches to see if increasing the Evorel  helped. I'm bleeding. A lot. Full blown period with just a few days clear between bleeds. I went back to just the 50 patch when it really ramped up (3 weeks ago). I've also tried doubling Utrogestan up (1 orally, 1 vaginally) to slow it down but not sure if that's safe.

I feel awful. Don't know whether some if that might be the extra utrogestan, anaemia which I'm prone to, possible withdrawal from Fluoxetine still, I don't know what to tell the GP.

If anyone's still reading, thank you! I asked in my message to the GP whether I could be referred to a menopause clinic as I believe we now have one in York.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice before I speak to GPHi
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 02:31:45 PM »

Hi!  :welcomemm:  Was your breast disease triggered by oestrogen, if not then U should have been offered HRT sooner. 

There is a train of thought that quality of life is important so women even if we have had breast disease, we should not discount HRT because there are several ways of delivery into the body.

After a certain age the chance of cancer lessens until we get older, when women may find that they develop slow growing breast disease.  My Aunt was 86 when diagnosed so lived with it as it wasn't causing symptoms.

Anxiety can be treated with appropriate anti-anxiety meds: Propranolol eased the surges that I suffered in the early hours, I would wake terrified anytime after 3.30 a.m.  Success from 2002 until 2020.  I've also have 'valium' as necessary and now have an emergency tablet when I'm floored by it.

Some find that certain regimes will cause a withdrawal bleed.  Hopefully some1 will be along with advice on that one.  In the mean time, make a list of worries to take to your appts., ring York Clinic to find out what the waiting list might be and if U are able, once referred U could take a cancellation.

Let us know how you get on.

Fianna

• First Flush
Re: Advice before I speak to GPHi
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 06:23:57 PM »

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had breast cancer - I was treated for Lymphoma - but I have family history of breast cancer. I will try and contact the menopause clinic and find out the referral process. Thanks.