Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Has anyone done slimming world?  (Read 3701 times)

KaraShannon

Has anyone done slimming world?
« on: January 12, 2024, 01:19:50 AM »

Hi ladies

First off I do know Slimming World is very good, everyone I know who's ever gone has successfully lost weight.  So I'm not asking whether they are good or not, but more about people's experiences and tips.

I'm thinking of doing the digital version for now because my health and schedule is crazy and I know I'll end up not going to the in person meetings. 

Can anyone offer me any tips for reducing the amount of cake, biscuits, sweets, chocolate I eat.  I eat it mainly for energy.  I know sugar can lead to an energy crash, so not needing advise on that but more what alternatives could I use?  Or rather, what have others found work for this as if it were as easy as eat some fruit I think we'd all just do it.  I think grapes and bananas might work.  But I have to think ahead or I'll never get it together to do this and my weight is steadily increasing so I want to do something now.

As for meals, most of what I eat is free food, I know that.  So it really is all the sugary foods that I'm eating that are the problem.  I still need a bit of planning at the weekend for meals during the week, but that should be easy for me as most of the food I eat is healthy.  The biggests factors in gaining weight for me seem to be  1)  sugary foods for energy   and   2)  lack of meal planning and too much stress, running around and then buying ready meals  ::)

I look forward to hearing what you all think  :)

Suziemc

Re: Has anyone done slimming world?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 06:06:28 AM »

No slimming world experience to share but take a look at the Zoe study website. Lots of interesting articles, blogs and podcasts on diet (as in what you eat rather than being on a diet) health and nutrition.

They do offer personalised diet plans (again, diet as in eating to suit your own gut microbiome rather than weight loss diet but I believe it can aid weight loss) but I've learned so much from their free resources.

https://zoe.com/learn

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 07:44:36 AM »

Just a quick reply before the day really starts. I can be put off by some fruit it seems to big and awkward. But for those energy dips in the day I have taken to having a small jar of dried fruit and nuts and have just small amounts to give a sweet but needed lift. Not too many as I worry about calories, but they are packed with vitamins too.
Ensure they aren't processed with added sugars ( or chocolate covered nuts!) I love the dehydrated apple rings, dried blueberries and Brazil nuts. Just  a few satisfies me.
Obviously you may want to look more at calories etc if you are on a  more rigid plan but they are a surprisingly lovely and filling alternative.

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 12:23:51 AM »

Thanks Susiemc and SarahT

I'll have a look at Zoe   :)

SarahT, thanks for reminding me of dried fruit.  I like it but I stall on it because I have to get the version without sulphur dioxide added (I think that's what it is, definitely sulphur something) because for me it triggers asthma symptoms.  But it's not hard to look for the other version and make an effort  ::)

I've eaten what slimming world calls free food all day, now allowing myself 2 chocolate biscuits.  I don't understand how their 'syns' work but hopefully I am within limits for now.  I have definitely eaten way more healthily today.

Jillyboo

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 02:40:10 PM »

My friend does it. She did lose weight initially - I think it gave her the push she needed. Not sure how much she's managed to keep off though. The main benefit in attending the weekly meetings now seems to be social. I guess if you can manage to maintain a lower weight than you were when you started then it's a win.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 03:54:05 PM »

My MinL did Weight Watchers.  Every evening she weighed what she needed the next day, each item on a separate saucer.  Once each saucer was empty, that was it for the day.

She kept off the weight.  Her whole life she had eaten freshly prepared meals, cycled everywhere and worked on both an allotment, garden and raised children. 

I am watching with interest a programme of chunky people travelling to different parts of the World to see how others eat.  Last week in Japan, this they were on Tonga where most people are over-chunky.  We are lucky in the UK to have access to good quality food stuffs.

KaraShannon

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 01:00:48 AM »

thanks, well I started healthily but by day 4 I had a lot of heart skipping and weakness. 

I have the discipline but my body seems to really struggle and that causes me to give up (at least for a while to try and recover).

I don't know if that's one of the reasons people struggle to lose weight.  I always thought it was a discipline thing but I have that, I honestly stopped because it seemed to be making me ill. 

It's possible I wasn't taking in enough calories, but I wasn't being really strict.  I will try again later in the week when I have a quieter day and I'll try and be more gradual.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 10:22:58 AM »

In which case you need to have a consultation with your GP/Nurse Practitioner, also see whether there is a dietician attached to the Practice.  MinL had no problems as she was advised on a balanced diet.  Seeing food as fuel is important.

KaraShannon

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 01:37:10 AM »

thanks CLKD, unfortunately I think the state of my GP practice is part of the reason for all my unresolved problems, and that of a lot of others here.  It's so hard to see a doctor here that in the end you just don't bother.  On top of that so many problems to discuss and they have no time, so they've built up.  No dietitian and would be told that it's not a medical problem and to go to slimming world or other such place.  As for menopause, they don't seem at all interested, even the female doctors.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 10:08:54 AM »

Morning.  Slimming World it is then?  How does the Company approach diet planning?

KaraShannon

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 11:39:50 PM »

Morning.  Slimming World it is then?  How does the Company approach diet planning?

Sorry, I didn't see this, I have long spates of fatigue which is why I disappear so often.

You're right, slimming world it is.  ;D  I need to take the first step.  I think I'll contact the consultant and let her know how I am / feel etc, as perhaps she can help motivate me to get there (fatigue etc always hits at the wrong time)