Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT Options  (Read 1887 times)

sharon2610

• First Flush
HRT Options
« on: February 09, 2024, 05:50:06 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site which was recommended to me by a GP.

I am 62 years old and have been on HRT since 2014. When I hit 60 my doctor wanted me to come off due to increased risks. I tried to but couldn't cope with the hot flushes and mood swings again so I was put on Oestrogen gel and Progesterone tablet. Everything was fine up until last year when I started bleeding, just light over a couple of days each time. I was fast tracked for a vaginal scan and womb biopsey. All was ok but the bleeding continued and towards the end of last year was getting more frequent, then at the beginning of this year I had a full on period, had to buy tampons again! Thought those days were over! During this time I had been increasing my Oestrogen to 2 pumps a day due to other symptoms, irritability, anxious, etc. I don't know if increasing it caused the bleeding so I went back down again. Since reducing it I haven't had any bleeding but obviously my other symptoms are still there. The consultant doing the biopsey suggested having the coil but I really don't know what to do. I am currently increasing the gel to 2 pumps a day to see if the bleeding starts again, if it does I'm thinking of coming off HRT altogether to see how I feel. I am getting constant headaches as well and don't know if this is related to my hormones not being right. My GP said it's not an exact science and could take a while to find out what suits me. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Violetta808

Re: HRT Options
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 10:15:32 AM »

Hi sharon2610

I’m really new to the forum too, and have only been taking HRT for four months, but have learned so much from here.

Good to know your scan and biopsy were clear. What dose of progesterone are you taking? If you’ve been bleeding on two pumps of oestrogen perhaps you need to increase progesterone too, for balance. I’m on a 50 patch (that’s equivalent to two pumps - not a high dose) and was advised by my GP to take a ‘double’ dose of 2 x100mg Utrogestan because of bleeding.

Dosing and absorption does seem to be very personal so there is definitely some tweaking involved.

One of my meno symptoms was constant headaches. They stopped within 10 days of starting HRT.

Re coil, my scan revealed a polyp which I’m having removed soon. I’ve decided to have a Mirena fitted at the same time. I was initially very unsure but it is the best for keeping the lining thin and though it's a synthetic progestogen, the dose is tiny and local. But that is a purely personal choice. We will see how it goes!

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 01:47:07 PM »

IMO it's better to take the dose of oestrogen that controls your symptoms and adjust the progestin to control the bleeding. Some people aren't meno till their early 60s so it felt like a period it probably was. A mirena is the best way to control problem bleeding, alternatively you could increase your utrogeston to 2x100mg daily (vaginally is supposed to be more effective). Or you could use a sequi regime and have a monthly bleed. I'm 63 and am on long cycle (6 week) sequi but it's mostly because I get fatigue on utrogeston and don't want to be permanently doped.
 The advice now is that there is no age limit, transdermal hrt is very much safer than the older horse urine ones.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 02:05:11 PM »

:welcomemm:

sharon2610

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 10:48:43 PM »

Thank you for the replies. I did wonder if I needed to increase my Progesterone to 2 x 100mg. That's never been suggested by anyone but to me makes sense.

I had thought the bleeding had stopped when I went back down to 1 x pump of 80mgs oestrogen but just this evening I've noticed some bleeding again! 🤷

I really don't know what to do. I'm going to request a blood test to check my hormone levels to see what's going on. I'm getting a lot of headaches lately and I'm wondering if it's related to this. I've had sinusitis and Vestibular migraines and the doctor wants me on 6 weeks of antibiotics which I really don't want to take, especially if it's hormonal and not an infection!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 10:16:57 AM »

No one needs to stop HRT.  Ever. Unless they suddenly develop a condition which is contra-indicative.  Your GP is probably reading old news.  I believe that as long as a lady understand any potential risks as we age, then a GP should continue if a regime is working.

I would ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic.  Not to aGynae as they often don't know much more than some GPs do.