Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me this happened to them?  (Read 2745 times)

KaraShannon

Can anyone tell me this happened to them?
« on: February 09, 2024, 01:29:04 PM »

Hi all

I just stood up, stretched, then bent down to pick something up and my heart skipped.

I've had lots of tests a few years ago and told not to worry about my heart but occasionally I get these 'spates' where the skipping is more likely.  I can't think what I've changed to do this lately.

Anyway, anyone else had this? Been told not to worry?  (anyone reading this who haven't had checks it's still important to get medical checks done, but with me I have to consider that I'm being anxious as been told not to worry, but the skips themselves seem hormonally linked, not anxiety linked, but I get anxious about them)

SarahT

Re: Can anyone tell me this happened to them?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 07:45:43 PM »

I often get a heartbeat that skips. It's unnerving and so stone's makes me cough, no idea why. It can happen anything anywhere,not always when active, sometimes just when sitting down as well. I think there may have been thread  on this a few months ago???

I do have a benign heart murmer too, never need any treatment. Coincidentally I had to have an ECG today and all was normal.

Songbird

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 08:56:47 PM »

Yep Karashannon. I've had this for a long time, at varying levels. I have a small hole in my heart (had no idea I had it until I had a "funny turn" under anaesthetic and subsequent ultrasound showed this). I have benign "ectopic" heartbeats. It is unnerving but, as its benign, it doesn't worry me.
I've found it is worse during stressful times. It was also, undoubtedly, worse prior to starting HRT.

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 11:28:32 PM »

Thanks SarahT and Songbird

I didn't make the post clear for some reason  ::) skips are one thing, I get them occasionally, this one bothered me because it was in response to standing up, stretching and then bending down to pick something up. 

In other words, it made me a little anxious because I need to move a hell of a lot more than I do lately and if I'm getting that from a small amount of movement it's worrying.  I wonder what would have happened if I didn't quickly straighten myself up, what if I'd carried on bending and being busy?

But then I went on a long walk the other day and was fine.

Blot

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 07:14:16 AM »

Hi KaraShannon. It might have just been coincidence that this happened at that moment and might not have had anything to do with you standing up/stretching. I sometimes get the skipped beats at random times.

Just keep a note of when/if it happens again so you can discuss it with your doctor if necessary but you’ve been on a long walk with no issues so that’s encouraging.

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 12:21:56 AM »

Hi KaraShannon. It might have just been coincidence that this happened at that moment and might not have had anything to do with you standing up/stretching. I sometimes get the skipped beats at random times.

Just keep a note of when/if it happens again so you can discuss it with your doctor if necessary but you’ve been on a long walk with no issues so that’s encouraging.

thanks Blot, I appreciate you replying.  I do think it was in response to what I was doing, but I've only ever had it in response to getting up suddenly, never to exercise when in full flow and I understand a bit of low blood pressure on standing is in normal limits. 

I suppose I just wanted to hear that others have had exactly this sort of thing.  But that's anxiety, I get that.  Thanks for replying, your thoughts are still helpful.

SundayGirl

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 02:45:44 PM »

Mine happen when I'm sat doing nothing or when I'm in bed at night.
Makes me terrified to move at times as I'm sure that my heart is going to stop.
They're also a sign of not enough thyroid meds.
Mine have been worse recently as I've had my Levothyroxine reduced by a GP chasing the perfect TSH  >:(  so making me under medicated with returning hypo symptoms.(ongoing saga at the mo)

How are your thyroid levels Kara?

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 01:08:30 PM »

Mine happen when I'm sat doing nothing or when I'm in bed at night.
Makes me terrified to move at times as I'm sure that my heart is going to stop.
They're also a sign of not enough thyroid meds.
Mine have been worse recently as I've had my Levothyroxine reduced by a GP chasing the perfect TSH  >:(  so making me under medicated with returning hypo symptoms.(ongoing saga at the mo)

How are your thyroid levels Kara?

Thanks SundayGirl

Yes I've had in on movement before but the movement was slight, just a change in position, so it didn't worry me, thinking it's just a vagal response.  But this was more effortful and so I worried what might have happened if on top of this activity I then picked up something heavy or had to do something else strenuous.  In theory the heart would just skip more and find its rhythm again but yes it's a bit disconcerting when you think you actually made it happen because what else could you be responsible for, we are not supposed to have to think about this, lol. :o

Re your doctor, maybe see another?  I know why they are looking at TSH more closely at the moment it's partly because a reduced TSH raises the risk for heart arrythmia, but one of my old doctors told me he though it would be very unlikely if I actually needed the thyroxine and I always did well on a slightly higher dose than the blood test suggested I would need.  That's when I was at my most well and yes, I got skipped beats when below that.  That doctor's retired now, he had a graph he used to look at to keep my levels right for me, but all the other doctors are saying they've no idea what the graph is he was tapping into and my TSH is normal.  But I think my thyroid levels themselves are low and it all needs testing, but they will only test TSH, in any case you can't reach them on the phone so.....