Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Atrophy & Stopping Meds ??  (Read 2374 times)

kathryn22

Atrophy & Stopping Meds ??
« on: January 29, 2024, 09:45:58 AM »

Morning all
I’m in a bit of a pickle
Had the most terrible weekend with “symptoms “ such a good week last week so obviously devastated again and have also developed a discharge, a thing I’ve never had in my whole life.
But it’s odd, seems to be that when I use the estriol cream I get A- a stomach ache & B- a burning sensation, a bit like cystitis. Saw someone on another thread somewhere that said she was told she might have an allergy to something within the  cream and stopped using it. But what to do ?? Carry on using for another 4 months or stop and run the risk of a flare up. This is massively affecting my mental state and I can feel the anxiety and depression getting a grip. It’s just relentless and always in the back of my mind is a doubt that although, yes,I have atrophy. Do I need to use this medication routine. Dismissive GP and not much better from a Gynaecologist Have begged for a review and waiting to hopefully get a callback today
Advice from you Wise ladies would be appreciated

Ayesha

Re: Atrophy & Stopping Meds ??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 09:51:11 AM »

There are stories on here of some having a reaction to the cream. There are other treatments, for instance Vagifem, have you tried that?
I know others will be along with more help for you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 10:13:28 AM »

Morning.  Both GPs and Gynaecologists have little idea about peri-menopause other than hot flushes.  U could ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic.

In the mean time give your vulva/vagina a rest from all treatments for 24 hours.  A discharge may be due to the atrophy treatment working, burning etc. can be caused by being sensitive to the fillers/packaging of the product. 

'vagifem' is the same in that it's inserted into the vagina every night for 2-3 weeks.  Some use 'ovestin' on the vulval area as well.

KY Jelly helps me when I can't access the VA treatment. 

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 12:35:09 PM »

You mention do I need to use this medication routine, I am afraid once you have VA then yes the treatment becomes a regime, sometimes every day.
But it seems you are allergic to the cream you are using and probably need to try another, as we always say here, its trial and error to find the right one.

I hope you get a satisfactory answer from your GP today.

kathryn22

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 01:43:10 PM »

Hi Both
Thanks for your reply’s
I am actually post meno by a good few years but  GPs just don’t understand the effects of having a crisis. Have tried to get appt today but nothing available for 2 weeks So god knows what I’m going to do. And it’s only a phone review of my meds that I’ve been offered Tried to tell them it’s really affecting me mentally now but they just weren’t interested Will try to not use estriol for a few days just moisturiser, really feel  so desperate

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 01:54:13 PM »

Have you ever used Vagifem? If you haven't you can buy it yourself under the brand name Gina and if it suits you better, you can then tell the GP what you have done and she/he should prescribe Vagifem, or an equivalent pessary for you.

VA is a condition you can get on top of but the treatment takes a while to work and the sooner you get into a routine that suits you the better.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 02:32:59 PM »

U could  probably get an appt with the Nurse Practitioner quicker?   I go to the counter and ask for the GP appt., they ask whether it's urgent or can wait, no more than 3 weeks. 

Ayesha has a good idea.  U don't need to suffer!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 02:33:45 PM »

It mayB that you are very dry internally which will cause sensitivity in an already sensitive area.  When sore I don't push the 'ovestin' in as deeply for a few nights.  Also KY Jelly, I may have said already  :-\

kathryn22

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 03:26:52 PM »

👍🤞advice noted ladies

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2024, 04:36:42 PM »

Notes made ;-).

It's Trial and Error initially  ::)  :-\

Carola

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 06:31:38 PM »

I’ve been diagnosed with the same problem. Feels like I’ve got a bladder infection most of the time. GP has reluctantly put me at 62 years old on HRT patches as the pessaries didn’t work. Bit worried about the cancer risk but no choice. Anyone else my age on HRT patches?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 07:13:39 PM »

Carola - ask your GP or Practice Manager where they are getting their information from?

62 isn't young or old, as long as any risks have been explained logically.  We should be able to take control of what we need. 

Have U tried pain relief to ease the bladder irritation?

Carola

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 07:58:07 PM »

Didn’t think pain relief would work for bladder infection type symptoms. Anything in particular you can recommend?

PearlJ

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 08:07:17 PM »

This is all new to me as  I was prescribed HRT patches along with blissel gel several weeks ago. I do feel much better in terms of mood etc but the internal gel  not so sure. Like you I have a discharge which I never suffered from before!
I can’t say whether it has helped or not really as sex had suddenly become painful even though I didn’t feel particularly dry if that makes sense. I’ve been too scared to try again so far! Maybe I need a different gel/cream?

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2024, 11:22:19 PM »

Morning all
I’m in a bit of a pickle
Had the most terrible weekend with “symptoms “ such a good week last week so obviously devastated again and have also developed a discharge, a thing I’ve never had in my whole life.
But it’s odd, seems to be that when I use the estriol cream I get A- a stomach ache & B- a burning sensation, a bit like cystitis. Saw someone on another thread somewhere that said she was told she might have an allergy to something within the  cream and stopped using it. But what to do ?? Carry on using for another 4 months or stop and run the risk of a flare up. This is massively affecting my mental state and I can feel the anxiety and depression getting a grip. It’s just relentless and always in the back of my mind is a doubt that although, yes,I have atrophy. Do I need to use this medication routine. Dismissive GP and not much better from a Gynaecologist Have begged for a review and waiting to hopefully get a callback today
Advice from you Wise ladies would be appreciated
Estriol cream caused cystitis symptoms for me every time I tried it. Vagifem works so much better.