Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Fear of HRT  (Read 1643 times)

ruby2568

• First Flush
Fear of HRT
« on: September 05, 2022, 06:03:56 PM »

Hello everyone!

I am a new member who has joined because I believe my menopause journey has started and I am experiencing some very uncomfortable symptoms. For the first time in my life my regular period (except for 2 pregnancies) did not come this month. There has been a build up to this moment since last December when I started to experience painful joints, weight gain, brain fog and general sluggishness that I could not shake through usual means. I am feeling a bit hopeless. In the past, I would start exercising and managing my food intake when I started to gain weight and it would start to make me feel good almost immediately. Now, I have no motivation whatsoever. My aching joints are stopping me from moving around the same, and this has had a detrimental effect on my mental state. I remember vividly my Mum telling me about her menopause. She said it was awful. She said she felt huge and cumbersome and constantly lacking energy and then her doctor started her on HRT. She said it was like a miracle for her. It changed her whole life. But...then she developed blood clots, so that was the end of that. I don't know if she ever tried anything else, apart from constantly popping painkillers. The thing is, my Mum was an extremely heavy smoker and also took a LOT of medication, neither of which I do. I know I need to speak to my doctor essentially, but, I was just curious if anyone out there knows if maybe her blood clots were perhaps because of the smoking etc? Or is it a hard & fast rule that if your mother had blood clots, it means you will too and HRT is not an option?

I appreciate anyone's opinion. Thank you so much, in advance.

Flossieteacake

Re: Fear of HRT
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 06:10:53 PM »

Hello ruby and welcome to the forum. Although you have missed one period I would not say it is perimenopause. Your period can be late for all sorts of reasons such as stress. It is good you are thinking of making a doctors appointment as the symptoms you have could be something else.

I have never known HRT to cause a blood clot. Many members on here take HRT and have never mentioned that. Blood clots can happen to healthy people so I do not think it would be possible to know the cause of your mothers one.

I am really sorry to hear you are feeling sore and low. I think that is understandable as when your body hurts it is horrible. Your mum having a blood clot will not make it impossible for you to try HRT. I looked it up and it says it is something that has to be discussed but it is not ruled out.

ruby2568

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 06:24:25 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply Flossieteacake. You are absolutely right, I have only missed one period, so that certainly doesn't mean for sure that it is perimenopause. I guess because I am 54 I assumed it was. I am hoping it is because I don't want it to be something else. But I am making a doctor's appointment this coming week. I am glad to see your comments on the blood clots because that has been a worry of mine. I will discuss it with my doctor in more detail.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 06:25:56 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply Flossieteacake. You are absolutely right, I have only missed one period, so that certainly doesn't mean for sure that it is perimenopause. I guess because I am 54 I assumed it was. I am hoping it is because I don't want it to be something else. But I am making a doctor's appointment this coming week. I am glad to see your comments on the blood clots because that has been a worry of mine. I will discuss it with my doctor in more detail.

I hope you will let us know how your appointment goes.

ruby2568

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 07:42:06 PM »

Absolutely! I will!

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 09:49:29 AM »

Transdermal hrt is very much safer than the old type made from horse urine that your mother probably had. I don't think a family history of blood clots is a problem, I don't think I was asked. And as you say it may well have been related to smoking not the hrt.

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 02:07:18 PM »

I was your age when I started HRT and back in the old days it wasn't as advanced as it is now!
I only wanted to be on it for a short time to get me over the worst of the symptoms I was suffering at the time, 5 years if I remember correctly.
After that I had an easy menopause but that was me and we are all different, but glad I went on it for a short time.

My mother was also a very heavy smoker and she developed serious medical conditions because of it but I have always had a healthy lifestyle and it makes a difference, my minor medical issues can't be compared in any way to my Mum's, two different people in many ways! 

ruby2568

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 04:44:41 PM »

Thank you so much for all the very helpful replies. I am so grateful.

Kooky958

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 02:47:33 PM »

Hello
I have recently started on patches. My mum had a blood clot and my Aunt(her sister) had 3 blood clots. I was told by my Gp that they wouldn’t consider combined HRT due to this but patches would be ok.
Hope your GP helps give you some answers

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 04:24:44 PM »

:thankyou: Kooky958 - browse round, join in.