Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply  (Read 17335 times)

Minusminnie

Re: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2023, 08:43:11 AM »

It's a big stone fireplace in a rural property.

There are also hearth regulations for a woodburner.

sheila99

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2023, 08:57:42 AM »

They're being selectively green again. When they stop the water companies polluting rivers and aeroplanes polluting the atmosphere I'll be more inclined to listen to the rest of their 🐂💩.

Penguin

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2023, 09:08:42 AM »

They're being selectively green again. When they stop the water companies polluting rivers and aeroplanes polluting the atmosphere I'll be more inclined to listen to the rest of their 🐂💩.

Yeah that's a really good point. And dumping raw sewage in the sea. The beaches where we live were terrible this summer.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2023, 08:55:26 AM »

I would be interested in the 'hearth regulations'  :-\

As DH said [being a scientisit] has any1 actually measured the types of particulates and how many of those might stay in the body and if so where and what harm would they do?  as in taking samples on slides to see what the particulates actually consist of?   All of us walk around vehicles probably without a thought in the World about particulates ...... or how vehicles in a queue might be more dangerous than the odd time that a wood burning stove door is opened.

As there is a draft each time the door is opened most particulates will be wafted up into the chimney and away

Minusminnie

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2023, 09:19:14 AM »

I would be interested in the 'hearth regulations'  :-\

You can look online for the list. one quote.....

"The hearth must extend at least 300mm to the front and 150mm to either side. It must be at least 12mm thick. It must be made from non-combustible materials. It must also cover a minimum area of 840 x 840mm."

I found out years ago from the stove shop when i went to buy new rope and glue for the inner door edges and enquired about getting a smaller new woodburner.

Previous owner had put in a large woodburner that had a back boiler which was really too big for the room.  The hearth was made of the right stuff but the burner did not have 12inches clear in front of it which is one reg on the list.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:24:21 AM by Minusminnie »

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2023, 12:25:53 PM »

Tnx for that update.

A back boiler is the way that all houses should be built.  Winter heating of water and radiators, the heater has to be the correct size for the whole house.  Dad had a back boiler which wasn't enough for 4 rads  ::) so he added to the system himself.  Oil fired.   The wood burner heated the tank in the airing cupboard = hot water, or the immersion for Summer. 

My Aunt had a Rayburn which worked on the same principal, with an electric cooker for the Summer. 

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2023, 12:26:02 PM »

We are a Mine of Info  8)

Minusminnie

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2023, 03:29:16 PM »

Tnx for that update.

A back boiler is the way that all houses should be built.  Winter heating of water and radiators, the heater has to be the correct size for the whole house.  Dad had a back boiler which wasn't enough for 4 rads  ::) so he added to the system himself.  Oil fired.   The wood burner heated the tank in the airing cupboard = hot water, or the immersion for Summer. 

My Aunt had a Rayburn which worked on the same principal, with an electric cooker for the Summer.

Good to have alternative fuel sources.
Now I think you have to think insulation, heat source pump & solar panels with storage batteries.
Not that we will be readily investing in all that at our age now !

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2023, 04:08:09 PM »

Of course, those ideas were compulsory from the 1990s under EU Laws - did R governments of the day be bothered? 

Not many properties have the radiators that will accommodate any new ideas pushed onto owners, so the £5,000 for each won't go anywhere near the over all costs.  And when an attic has too much insulation, the rafters are in danger of rotting due to condensation.  What will that cost and how many owners realise and go into the attic space to check?

Houses need to breath: hence the air brick between two layers of inner and outer bricks!

Minusminnie

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2023, 06:50:29 PM »

Underfloor heating & vents in your soffits ?

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2023, 07:10:53 PM »

Underfloor heating has a fire risk.

We have vents in the double glazing. 

Limpy

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2023, 07:15:51 PM »

We have vents in the double glazing.

I must admit when we first had double glazing installed the vents just seemed a ludicrous idea.

SarahT

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2023, 07:53:36 PM »

My understanding was underfloor heating has a very low fire risk,obviously professionally fitted etc. We live in a converted barn, mostly timber, vents must be kept open all year roun, condensation should  be kept low Smoke alarms fitted, carbon monoxide alarm fitted where  wood burner is. Everything serviced annually. Never had any problems other than age related... Kind of like me on some respects. >:(

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2023, 08:34:45 PM »

It depends on how the under floor heating is fixed.  In some cases a certain type of concrete can 'move' which has in some instances caused pipes to crack and smoulder .......

We have alarm systems in the house and camper van.

Minusminnie

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2023, 07:20:14 AM »

It depends on how the under floor heating is fixed.  In some cases a certain type of concrete can 'move' which has in some instances caused pipes to crack and smoulder .......
I will quiz son-in-law who is a heating engineer.
He has retrofitted their older property with insulation, underfloor heating and air source heat pump.  Has found that the noticeable cost has been in running the pump so now has solar panels fitted with storage batteries to bring that down. All capital outlay even with the grant and some self fitting at trade prices to be redeemed over time.
Pretty sure he has been recently fitting some barns being converted with pumps etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6