Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anxiety and duloxetine  (Read 3713 times)

Dawn3129

Anxiety and duloxetine
« on: October 12, 2023, 08:24:42 AM »

Been on duloxetine for 8 weeks now and on 90mg. Had one week of total relief but back to panic, anxiety and insomnia - is this a sign to switch? Or am I not giving it enough time?
I'm miserable.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety and duloxetine
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 08:49:20 AM »

Morning.  Is this a single dose or R U able to split to morning and night?   When is the anxiety at its worst, mine was from 3.30 a.m. onwards - during the day I improved and by evening was well again.  Repeat, repeat, repeat  >:( :'(.  My GP gave me betablockas to ease the early morning anxiety surges.

Dawn3129

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 08:51:45 AM »

Yes single dose. I can't fall asleep and when I do I'm restless.
Same as you worse in the mornings then better by night. Some days it lasts longer but I'm just in this limbo. I want to be well and I'm not sure if this med will allow it.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 10:24:59 AM »

NHS Guidance: as well as avoiding all alcohol -

Duloxetine usually takes 2 to 4 weeks to work. It may take longer if you're taking it for nerve pain.

Common side effects include feeling sick, a dry mouth, headache, constipation and feeling sleepy. These side effects are usually mild and go away after a couple of weeks.

If you and your doctor decide to take you off duloxetine, your doctor may recommend reducing your dose gradually to help prevent withdrawal symptoms.

You may find you cannot concentrate properly while taking duloxetine. When you first start taking it, it's a good idea to stop driving and cycling, and avoid using machinery or tools, for the first few days until you know how this medicine makes you feel.

Why did your GP prescribe this?  In the 1980s when I first began ADs for depression/anxiety, without 24 hours I would have extreme nausea - it took 8 different tablets B4 I found 1 that didn't cause this.  Since then, the ADs have worked well for depression and I have an go-2 emergency med for anxiety.  Is 90mg the highest dose available, I would have expected some relief by now.

Dawn3129

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 11:19:20 AM »

I have tried sertraline, seroxat, citalopram and apparently fluoxitine although I don't ever remember being  on it.
Venlafaxine is the next one he's suggested (he's only been my Dr a year).
I don't drink. I can go up to 120 but that's the max - I'm just not sure it's the right one for anxiety/panic/cptsd.
All on line research suggests venlafaxine, busporin or venlafaxine.
I'm beginning to think it's me.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 11:23:07 AM »

It is you: because your brain/automatic nervous system is on heightened alert.  I had a therapist tell me that panic attacks cannot be sustained by the body for more than 20 mins.; I walked out of the session.   My longest attack was almost 3 days  :-\.  Still here. 

May I ask when you take it? 

Dawn3129

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 12:03:35 PM »

Been on duloxetine for 8 weeks now and on 90mg. Had one week of total relief but back to panic, anxiety and insomnia - is this a sign to switch? Or am I not giving it enough time?
I'm miserable.
I take it at 7am every morning. I had a similar experience with a counsellor who told me to "walk off" my panic and anxiety. I curtly told her I do not want to be medicated but I also don't want to not be here for my hubby and wee boy but that's how I feel. Like somehow it's an opt in condition.
One of the mums at school was talking about paroxetine?
CLKD you are always such a support thank you x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 12:18:25 PM »

paroxetine - Seroxat, Paxil etc..  Made me really angry  :cuss: and some find it difficult to stop taking.

I have found that ecistalopram [sp] has suited my depression for several years.  My anxiety is less now that I have a go2 tablet, I have also found 'my level' so no longer say 'yes' to requests  ::).

MayB ask your Nurse Practitioner for something that you could take as well as or instead of Duloxetine to spread out the dose.  Despite some product suggestions 'take at night' or 'take in the morning', I found that spreading out helped me feel in control as well as allowing my brain to settle .  Once I felt better I went back to 5mg at breakfast and 10mg at night.

Dawn3129

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 12:36:32 PM »

I'm on 90mg once a day and I feel like I get sp far then its a set back.
I will ask about splitting the dosage. Theu won't give me anything with it for sleep or intense panic - it's frustrating.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 01:07:49 PM »

I think that U need something different to try to ease symptoms.  Even though I know the physical causation for panic attacks, it doesn't help when anxiety floors me.

I had betablockas and ADs without the GP being worried.  Is there a Nurse Practitioner with whom you could talk?

Dawn3129

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 01:59:07 PM »

Yes I have a lovely np but everything has to go through the Dr. I've been trying to research what's best for panic and anxiety and ask others but it's mixed.
I think in part with it not being a physically seen illness it's deemed not as important but that's just my experience x

Wrensong

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 03:12:56 PM »

Hi Dawn3129, has anyone suggested Mirtazapine?  If sleep is an issue it can be a very effective sedative & is sometimes prescribed for anxiety/panic as well as depression.  If you've not tried it, might be worth reading up on to see what you think.  Just be aware though, that if you have a thyroid condition, as more of us do at this stage of life, it can mess with thyroid levels.
Wx
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 03:21:31 PM by Wrensong »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 03:55:34 PM »

R Nurse Practitioner can prescribe without consulting the GP.  There are two who have undergone extra training.

Let us know how you get on.

Dawn3129

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2023, 04:39:58 PM »

I've got an appointment for next Friday  :( hopefully I will get some help. I feel like this has been going on for too long x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2023, 05:09:16 PM »

Take a list with you.
Pages: [1] 2