Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Silent reflux symptoms  (Read 6356 times)

Mummytron

Silent reflux symptoms
« on: September 19, 2023, 03:26:57 PM »

Hi all,
My gpnthinks i have silent reflux as I have a sore, hot throat at night and a hoarse throat as the day goes on. I have been given omeprazole but just wondered if anyone could tell me how it affects them please?
I'm really struggling, my anxiety has me thinking its something more serious 🙄
Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Silent reflux symptoms
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 04:01:21 PM »

It's probably in relation to a drop in oestrogen levels.  As they drop muscles maybe lax including the digestive tract.  Some suffer with hiatus hernia as they age.  I have suffered with indigestion for many years, kept at bay with 'milk of magnesia' tablets or liquid.

Then I suffered reflux - which is burning from the middle of the ribs up to the throat with excess saliva.  GP gave me omeprazolol a few years ago, in the main to stop the irritating cough during the day and constant clearing of throat.  Fortunately that doesn't bother me in the night.

I have found that hidden sugars make that cough worse i.e. Coke, some chocolates, ginger drinks which I swopped for the Coke  ::)  :-\

So whilst mine ins't 'silent' it is a symptom that I am aware of.  When will U take the omeprazole?  I take mine at breakfast.

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 04:07:26 PM »

I get this occasionally,  it seems cyclical. Comes for awhile and then goes for ages, better when I clean my diet up. Other dietary triggers can be coffee, alcohol, spicy food, tomatoes... try and find out which are yours.

Mummytron

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 06:07:14 PM »

CLKD,
I'll take it in the morning. Do you feel like you have a hot, sore throat? Bit phlegm? So tired of worrying there's something wrong with me when it all probably boils down to menopause!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 06:58:33 PM »

Most things boil [ ;)] down to peri.   I get the burning in the upper digestive tract with reflux, it's awful.  Doesn't seem to be triggered by food and can happen in the day or in the night  >:(

C how U get on with the medication then review. 

VioletAquarius

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 09:52:53 PM »

I got diagnosed with silent reflux during covid.

It started where I felt I was starting with a sore throat but it didn't come out fully as a sore throat. I would swallow and it would hurt a bit, but I would swallow again straightafter and it wouldn't hurt.

I sometimes got a feeling like the neck of my jumper was a bit too close to my neck and I kept pulling it away.

I was very anxious, couldn't see my gp due to covid, only having telephone conversations.
I was prescribed omprazol but it didn't work. I was thinking i had cancer or some other horrible thing, and looking back now I think all that anxiousness was making it worse.

I got referred to the hospital and a tube was put up my nose and down my throat (didn't feel anything), and some part was a bit red (can't remember what part), which the doctor said was silent reflux.

I was sent away with a leaflet about it. I stopped eating all the foods that trigger it for about 6 months, and I was also relaxed now, knowing i didn't have some awful disease, and my sore throat got better.

I was also advised to take gaviscon, although I don't think this helped either.

I have read omprozole isn't very good and shouldn't be taken, but can't remember why.

I don't get any problems anymore really, I just get the odd sore feeling for a few seconds, usually after eating too much chocolate.

Oh, and another thing the doctor at the hospital said, was to raise your bed on an angle, higher up at your head, put blocks under the bottom of the bed/the feet, and don't eat before bed/laying down.

Ask your gp to refer you so you can get the camera down to get a diagnosis, this will put your mind at rest to get it confirmed so you're not worrying.

Also, do you have asthma?  Apparently, if you have asthma you're more likely to have/get silent reflux, and vise versa.  I got diagnosed with asthma too around covid time.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 09:55:40 PM by VioletAquarius »

Mummytron

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 06:03:11 AM »

Thanks all.
I dont have asthma.
Yes it does feel like a sore throat, started out just being at bedtime but now it's a lot more. My voice can get strained too, especially when I'm at work (school)
Had a bit of indigestion that come and goes.
Was your referral to ent? I'm going back to my gp after 5 weeks of omeprazole so I'll see what she says.

Ayesha

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 07:57:41 AM »

Omeprazole takes 4 weeks to start working, you are at the early stages so hopefully you will feel better soon.
Don't worry about taking the medication, you can always come of it when you feel its working but most of us stay on it as its the only option.
Taking supplements is important if you are on these meds for the long term, its a total pain but its all down to the aging process.

The GP will more than likely refer you for an Endoscopy, we all end up in that department eventually!  ::)

VioletAquarius

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 09:44:26 PM »

Hi Mummytron yes I was referred to ent.

Mine also started at bedtime, feeling like the start of a sore throat.

Mummytron

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 05:53:26 AM »

Yes thats how mine was and now seems to be more often in the day now.

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 06:09:43 AM »

Mummytron does the sore throat start when you lie down or before then? If it is when you lie down it may help to raise the head of your bed a bit of, do as I did, and buy a wedge pillow from amazon. That helps things stay down with gravity.

Mummytron

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2023, 10:38:21 AM »

Before I lay down, actually have it a lot of the day now too. Is that normal for reflux?

Penguin

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2023, 10:41:55 AM »

Yes I think so. But a lot of people find night time worse because gravity isn't helping the acid stay down.

Have you found any food triggers? That may be making it worse if it is in the daytime after you have eaten.

Jules

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2023, 11:06:46 AM »

Hi all,
My gpnthinks i have silent reflux as I have a sore, hot throat at night and a hoarse throat as the day goes on. I have been given omeprazole but just wondered if anyone could tell me how it affects them please?
I'm really struggling, my anxiety has me thinking its something more serious 🙄
Thanks.

I take omeprazole daily. I had reflux and discomfort and following endoscopy was diagnosed with Barratts early this year so I have to take the meds for life. There's a link between long term use and osteoporosis but other than that I have no side effects. Best to prevent any damage from acid.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2023, 06:21:21 PM »

I don't know about the link between omeprazole and osteoporosis ?  Dr James le Fanu suggests having a break from omeprazole as the gut can become dependent which means it works less successfully.  Milk of Magnesia has helped too.  If I don't have treatment in the house and miss a few mornings, then I can feel heartburn lurking.

Let us know how you get on. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7