Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Looking for some advice  (Read 1363 times)

greenECLECtus28

Looking for some advice
« on: August 08, 2023, 09:09:46 AM »

Howdy

It’s been a while since I posted but I’m a regular reader I suffer from Spina Bifida and ever since I was a child suffered from UTI’s everything settled during puberty and then when I hit the menopause went pear shaped in 2017 I took a UTI and basically the GP just kept prescribing antibiotics month after month nothing worked and as soon as I finished next UTI would appear within a month I was also running
A temp eventually I felt so awful and desperate I ended up in A&E and was diagnosed with urosepsis as the infection had moved in to my kidneys after IV antibiotics I was put on ciprofloaxin for 3 months 1 at night then Nitrofurantoin for 3 months 1 a night then came off and everything seemed to settle

Then in 2022 started getting on and off positive test strips (I test myself) and had a course of Selexid things settled but again since 2023 have been on and off Selexid just finished a course there and I’m still testing positive for leukocytes trace blood

I’ve got a GP appointment this morning but wanted to ask as well about Vagifem and other topical oestrogens I’ve noticed with these last UTI’s as well that I’m really sore around my vaginal area and wondered if this is vaginal atrophy which could be making me more susceptible to the UTI’s either that or I’ve got some kind of embedded UTI that’s not getting cleared away

I’ve noticed that some of the ladies on the chat take either Vagifem up to several times a week and some take Vagifem and Ovestin as well, can you take both and would the GP do you think prescribe both or would I need to buy it myself just wondering if using both would help as I have quite a large prolapse and find it difficult to get the Vagifem pessary in I think far enough

Any advice/opinions  would be much welcome thanks!  :)

Dierdre

Re: Looking for some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 09:35:44 AM »

It depends on the GP. Some are happy to prescribe both but others will pass the book to a gynae or menopause clinic as they are not very knowledgable or out of date about it. The vagifem is good for internal issues, dryness and also should help with the prolapse. You should also ask for a referral to a physiotherapist for the prolapse. Ovestin cream is good for external bits and sore labia/vulva as Vagifem doesn't always reach there.
If you don't get anywhere ask for a gynaecologist referral.
I use both every day.

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 01:44:30 PM »

My GP is a Gynaecologist and she prescribed me Vagifem & Ovestin to use daily, you should not need to buy these privately.  Ask and hopefully you will get these items if that is what's needed to ease your symptoms.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 01:59:38 PM »

testing positive for leukocytes trace blood  - home testing isn't always going to show correct results.  These may be found in urine samples without any infection present, certainly my dipsticks in the Surgery showed this: the way to be sure is for a sample to be sent to a Lab for growing.

Vaginal atrophy needs treatment to keep symptoms under control.  It is different from other types of HRT.  Applied internally and around the outer labia it can help to keep the are less dry and itchy - and is available from the NHS.  GPs should not insist on blood tests or examinations but should treat on symptoms.

Let us know how you get on.  Some GPs due to ignorance won't prescribe both as they worry about 'overdose' of oestrogen!  If you meet with any resistance to treatments then speak to the Practice Manager and ask her to read MM Forum as well as getting an appt to an NHS dedicated menopause clinic - there are waiting lists so sooner rather than later, U can cancel the appt closer to the time if symptoms improve.

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 04:31:10 PM »

Thanks all!  yeah my GP always sends my UTI’s off for culture and the strip test was right it was positive so that’s getting dealt with

She was really good at my appointment today and has said to try the Ovestin so has given me a prescription to take it alongside my Vagifem

Do you ladies use the Ovestin on the outside say every day and use the Vagifem as per prescription although I use the Vagifem 2 times weekly