Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Kidney infection how long to recover ?  (Read 2747 times)

Orba

Kidney infection how long to recover ?
« on: July 05, 2023, 07:15:39 PM »

Hi, I had another thread about mixed growth in urine but thought I'd start a new one as my situation changed :'(
After 2 sets of antibiotics for a UTI  I ended up with it going to my kidneys and was really poorly. My GP  sent me to hospital for IV antibiotics but due to me being sent to A&E triage instead of the medics  I never got it done .
I went back to GP who put me on Augmentin which I've nearly finished. Although the kidney pain has eased, I still feel extremely tired and feel wary of getting another UTI.
A follow up blood test has shown kidney function is fine and my inflammatory markers are low.
Just wondered if anyone else has had this and how long it was until you felt better ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Kidney infection how long to recover ?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 07:38:33 PM »

When the renal system has to work harder then it may well cause tiredness.  Your GP needs to be following up why you weren't referred.

What advice have you been given?  I suggest lots of rest.  Also check how much fluids you need to drink because sometimes it's less than we think to give the kidneys a rest.

:foryou:  make a list of your worries and ring the Surgery to discuss.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 08:22:44 PM »

I am sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly. When I had a kidney infection it took me two weeks to improve and two separate courses of antibiotics. You experiencing fatigue could be the after effects as a kidney infection is really exhausting. It is a good sign your blood tests has come back okay.

It sounds like you need plenty of rest and to take things slowly. I really hope you feel better soon.

Orba

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 09:25:30 PM »

Thanks for replies.
It seems the reason I didn't get the IV was because at my local hospital the A&E shares it's waiting  area with the medics so the reception desk put me in the A&E list. The doctor triage' d me as a walk in  and said I could go   and as I felt so unwell  I didn't realise  he wasn't the medic ! Complaint has been raised but too late for me now. It all adds to the stress tho .
I'm drinking plenty and resting as best. 
Suppose it was a hug post but thank you for your input x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 11:43:00 PM »

I took around three months before I felt back to normal and less fatigued. I needed three different antibiotics it's good that your kidney function is fine. Mine was low for two months so I also had a scan but thankfully all was well.. It's a nasty illness and you need to take it steady.

Taz x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 06:45:53 AM »

Then here is a hug for you 🤗 Keep posting so we can support you. It is horrid to feel unwell.

Orba

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 07:11:46 AM »

I took around three months before I felt back to normal and less fatigued. I needed three different antibiotics it's good that your kidney function is fine. Mine was low for two months so I also had a scan but thankfully all was well.. It's a nasty illness and you need to take it steady.

Taz x
It's awful isn't it.
I'm on Augmentin and that is making me feel so sick so hard to monitor my progress. I have never been/ contacted my GP surgery so much as I have in the last 2 weeks, and I feel almost embarrassed about that which is silly I know.  Trouble at mine is it's hard to speak to the same GP as the NHS app only lets me book certain GPs on the day ! 
Can't believe all this illness came from a water infection.
So grateful for support on here as don't think hubby knows what else to say !

Orba

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 07:12:33 AM »

Then here is a hug for you 🤗 Keep posting so we can support you. It is horrid to feel unwell.
Thankyou , it's comforting to know x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 08:17:15 AM »

Morning.  If the AB is making you feel really ill tell the Surgery.  IV is the best and quickest way of delivering anti-biotic therapy but difficult to do at home.  Feeling ill impedes progress ;-)

:foryou:

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 10:15:38 AM »

It's important to take augmentin with a really large drink of water. This does stop it making you feel so sick. It's a good antibiotic though so well worth persevering. Nausea and/or diarrhoea is to be expected and not a reason to ask for a different one. How is your temperature today Orba? Urine colour - sorry that's a bit personal!  ;D

Taz x

Orba

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 12:43:04 PM »

Morning.  If the AB is making you feel really ill tell the Surgery.  IV is the best and quickest way of delivering anti-biotic therapy but difficult to do at home.  Feeling ill impedes progress ;-)

:foryou:
Yes, the whole joke is that I was sent for IV antibiotics over a week ago but my local hospital messed up and sent me home. I actually logged a formal complaint x

Orba

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 12:45:29 PM »

It's important to take augmentin with a really large drink of water. This does stop it making you feel so sick. It's a good antibiotic though so well worth persevering. Nausea and/or diarrhoea is to be expected and not a reason to ask for a different one. How is your temperature today Orba? Urine colour - sorry that's a bit personal!  ;D

Taz x
[/quot
Hi, temperature ok and urine pale so that's good. Had a review telephone call with GP earlier. He said keep going so that reassured me x

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2023, 12:52:01 PM »

That's good. Sounds as if you are on ge way to recovery.

Taz x  :)