Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Blood oestrogen levels high, should i reduce HRT does?  (Read 2081 times)

Lolalois

• First Flush
Blood oestrogen levels high, should i reduce HRT does?
« on: February 25, 2023, 12:16:38 PM »

Quick question for all you wise people....
I've been on HRT (sequential) for about 3 years, and increased from 1.5mg sandrena to 2mg about a year ago. Since then my blood oestrogen levels have been consistently fairly high, around 1500pmol/l across about 4 blood tests over the year. The results are a bit on the high side so I'm wondering if i should reduce a little and if so how to go about it, do levels of oestrogen drop quite quickly?
I feel basically pretty good, the only thing i could say is a bit off is my mood, i feel a bit flat, and occasionally a bit bloated, but other than that symptoms are well controlled and i have a withdrawal bleed every 28 days like clockwork.
I guess I've got a bit of a fear of the other symptoms returning - menopause was terrible for my sleep and i had bad anxiety too, plus the rages and moodiness.
Any help or suggestions much appreciated!!

discogirl

Re: Blood oestrogen levels high, should i reduce HRT does?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 12:26:08 PM »

hi Lolalois

I'm a novice to all this myself.

you say you have a regular withdrawal bleed every 28 days so maybe high blood estrogen levels are to be expected. i think in peri levels tend to go quite high.

for me if your symptoms are controlled then i wouldnt try fixing  what isnt broken if you get me.

however more ladies much more experienced than myself will be along with better advice.

take care x

Lolalois

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 04:56:16 PM »

Thanks so much for posting, much appreciated.

I totally get you, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! I’m sure you’re right.

The only question rolling round the back of my mind is whether high oestrogen levels increase my cancer risk, and also whether low mood relates to high oestrogen. Having said that, there’s some perfectly legit reasons why I could be a bit flat at the moment so maybe I’ll ride it out for now.

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 05:31:43 PM »

are you in peri menopause by the way.

Also your levels are high but i do think in peri you can have very high readings..

i do know that sandrena is very well absorbed. were your symptoms controlled on 1.5mg of sandrena.

im on oestrogel i was on 4 pumps but felt wired on that and dropped to 3. my boobs felt sore and hot on 4 pumps of oestrogel xx

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 06:43:25 PM »

Thanks so much for posting, much appreciated.

I totally get you, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! I’m sure you’re right.

The only question rolling round the back of my mind is whether high oestrogen levels increase my cancer risk, and also whether low mood relates to high oestrogen. Having said that, there’s some perfectly legit reasons why I could be a bit flat at the moment so maybe I’ll ride it out for now.

hi lolalois

ive just noticed this post on our forum.

i wondered if it maybe of interest to you

"Varying oestrogen dose throughout cycle
« on: Today at 06:35:17 PM »
ReplyQuote
Just hoping to ask if many people adjust their oestrogen dose throughout the month depending on where they are in their cycle. I find that I need 75mcg oestrogen when taking progesterone to minimise side effects of progesterone but on non progesterone days, 75mcg dose of oestrogen feels too high and 50mcg works better and gives less oestrogen side effects"

Bungo

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 08:10:05 AM »

Is it possible the blood sample was contaminated by gel on your arm?

Floo36

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 07:29:49 AM »

In peri menopausal it is common to have Estrogen levels spikes like yours, it doesn’t mean it would be that level most of the time and I’m sure if you did another test the next day it would be different again.  Your dose of Sandrena doesn’t have that much Oestradiol in it anyway so those bloods cannot be from that alone. Hope this helps.  Bloods in peri are very unreliable unless they are always flat with no spikes or fluctuations.

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 04:25:13 PM »

My experience is with my high oestrogen came weird migrainey symptoms and even word finding difficulties which panicked me but seemed to only come with the migraines. 

I just cut the patch in half and did it gradually and my symptoms lessened a LOT. 

I'm still cutting down gradually.  Still feeling that the estradiol phase of Evorel Sequi is not as good for me as the combined phase.  I feel energetic and healthy on the combined phase. 

Glad you're not experiencing symptoms as such but I'd keep a check on it.  I think high circulation oestrogen can be associated with greater risk of infections (there was a study for women on the pill where oestrogen high, not sure about hrt but has to be similar).

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 08:41:19 AM »

I would reduce gradually and keep a diary so you can record symptoms. They say you should be on the minimum amount that controls your symptoms.