Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 'Period' after 2 years  (Read 1943 times)

Sacab11

• First Flush
'Period' after 2 years
« on: May 14, 2023, 11:47:15 AM »

I started using everol sequi patches in 2019 (peri menopause).  My last period was 2021 and I increased to everol conti in May 2022.  This was because I noticed my symptoms were on the increase and I had been over a year with no periods.  I am now two years without periods until this last week.  I had a full blown 'period' - as that is what it has felt like - for the best part of a week.  I have been tearful, uncomfortable and my brain fog and fatigue are much worse.  I had already been to the GP as I noticed that the patches weren't as effective and we decided to do some bloods first to check there was nothing else (all clear).  I also had a recent routine mammogram (all clear) and actually had a hysteroscopy in August 2022 as I had some slight break through bleeding (again all clear).  My mood is lower, I am constantly tired and the brain fog is impacting my working life.  My GP is sending me for a pelvic scan but I am just looking for advice.  My gut is that my dose really needs looking at.  I know breakthrough bleeding can be expected in the early months of HRT but why would I get it 2 years after my last period and a year after a dose change?.  I would appreciate any advice as constantly waiting for answers is sending me a bit nuts  :(.  I had such a great response on the patches initially and honestly felt they were life changing.  (just as a note.  I have been on patches as when I used to take the pill I would get headaches and nausea). The consultant who did my hysteroscopy when I was 18 months without periods did say he didn't think I was fully through the menopause and now I am wondering why he said that - I was just very dazed at the time as I had fainted and come too convulsing so wasn't paying enough attention.

**UPDATE** Thank you for all your replies.  I thought I would update so it is useful to anyone else... Scan was all good.  Womb lining thickness normal and the cervical polyp noted in Aug 2022 has gone - maybe that was the cause of the bleeding.  Anyway, just wanted to update for anyone else for future reference.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:51:59 PM by Sacab11 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 'Period' after 2 years
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 11:58:31 AM »

Morning.  Any unexplained bleeding should be investigated. If you were 'fitting' was that followed up?  Did U wet yourself at the time?  A loss of bladder/bowel control is one issue that should have been discussed at the time.

One isn't able to decide if 1 is through peri-menopause when taking HRT.  Menopause literally = last period although we are told to wait for at least 12 months to be certain.

Once the pelvic scan results are back U will have a base line, I would ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic, not a Gyane. 

Sacab11

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 12:08:48 PM »

Thank you for your reply.  I should have said that I think the convulsing was more vasovagal response perhaps than anything else and there was no loss of bladder or bowel control.  There was no follow up.  Up until this last week I had been period free for over 2 years.  I will just have to wait for the scan... just all so tiring.

KarineT

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 12:15:28 PM »

Hi Sacab 11,

Sorry to hear that you're havng isues.

After 2 years without a bleed,  I cannot imagine that it's your periods coming back.  It's probably to do with the HRT f you're also taking progeterone.

Karine

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 02:12:51 PM »

We know that the bleed free year is just used by the nhs for safety and some some women do go longer than a year and then have more period(s) so I would say very unusual but probably possible. It's good you're having a scan, if that doesn't show up any other cause then I would put it down to a period particularly because it felt like one.

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 10:17:10 PM »

The bleed-free relates to the first year without a period.  Doctors use this as a guide.  There's a possibility that after a year periods might come back but it's highly unlikely that they will come back after 2 years or even longer.