Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: If I start a bleed early should I still take progesterone?  (Read 604 times)

Starshell

If I start a bleed early should I still take progesterone?
« on: April 14, 2023, 03:56:02 PM »

Hi everyone
I’m on a sequential regime 3 pumps Oestrogel daily and taking utrogestan for 2 weeks of the month, thought I had finally cracked it and was starting to feel human again however I forgot my Oestrogel Wednesday morning then started quite a heavy bleed again yesterday 😞 after only having one 2 weeks ago
I was de to start my utrogestan tomorrow, as I am having a bleed now should I still take it? It’s already a pretty heavy bleed and I don’t want to be flooding
Oh it’s all good fun isn’t it 🤣

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: If I start a bleed early should I still take progesterone?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 07:43:20 PM »

Aint it just - my periods were like that for many years until The Change.

Is there any info in the leaflet in the box?  Or put the names of the products into the search box to see any threads?

DottyD68

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 08:15:59 PM »

Hi Starshell,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Personally I would continue with the 2 weeks on two weeks off regime with Utrogestan irrespective of bleeds. My rational for this is that you could be minimising your required Progesterone intake if you based it on any bleeds you may have throughout the month.

My monthly bleed became out of sync with Utrogestan after a 2 or 3 months of the sequi regime. I understood that to be my own cycle breaking through rather than getting a withdrawal bleed so stuck to 14 on/14 off and got one bleed a month even if it wasn't after I finished Utrogestan. I have no idea if that is the right thing to do but reading lots of threads on MM I understood lots of other women had a similar situation.

I'm not a medic so probably best contacting your GP for official advice. I would be interested to hear if you should alter the utrogestan phase based around bleeds.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 10:16:45 PM »

I took the opposite approach, I changed the hrt cycle to fit it with my own. My own cycle was always stronger than the hrt one so trying to change it to fit the hrt cycle just didn't work. Can you tell when you ovulate? If you can then start utro a couple of days later and the two cycles will stay in sync (assuming the standard 12 days utro), that's what I did.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 07:59:29 AM »

Hi I would still take the progesterone because you most likely can't say what the extra bleeds are caused by - there could be several reasons, not just ovulation. All the time you are taking the progesterone you are changing the lining from proliferative (growing) to secretory (changing the structure of the existing lining) and also sometimes preventing further growth of the lining. Once you are peri-menopausal your cycle will be irregular anyway, so you could, as DottyD says leave yourself short of the progesterone dose required to protect your lining.

Hurdity x

Starshell

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 08:13:42 AM »

Thanks everyone! Yeah I think I will still take the progesterone as planned, if I’m still all over the place in a few months I can always review it then
Thanks again x