Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ringworm  (Read 3648 times)

Dierdre

Ringworm
« on: April 09, 2023, 10:26:49 AM »

Last week I woke up in the night with a sore breast, couldn't feel any lump but in the morning noticed a small red slightly raised patch. When I felt it it hurt and also the area around it. Doesn't itch. I googled it and of course the worst came up everytime, Inflammatory Breast Cancer.
Doctors closed for Easter so can't get there until Tuesday and will be a miracle if I get in then. Anxiety off the scale and feeling ill with worry.
Or could it be ringworm, or anything other than IBC that hurts like inflammation, but don't itch like bug bites or fungal infection.

Flossieteacake

Re: Ringworm
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 10:34:58 AM »

Ringworm is contagious so I suspect it is not ringworm unless you have come into contact with somebody or an animal that has it. It could be eczema or a dermatitis type thing. Do you have any emollient? I would apply some to help the rash not become dry. Please do not think it is cancer. It is very unlikely. I often get eczema in a perfect circle. :)

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 02:20:10 PM »

Could just be a cyst or a little boil/spot,please don't get over anxious,chances are it's nothing to worry about,although I know your brain won't be telling you that.
Lie flat on your bed with your arm raised behind you and have a good feel about,if you can't feel any lumps etc,your most likely ok,maybe you can get a hold of a nurse on Tuesday?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 02:24:20 PM »

Try a chemist, they should be able to sell you a suitable treatment. Perhaps you could take a photo of the offending patch without showing anything else?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 08:57:07 AM »

Ringworm - I had this aged 11, having leant on a metal gate where cows rubbed their chops  ::).  Mum recognised it and the chemist gave me a white powdery/cream to spread on it.  Ringworm is a fungus, not a worm.

It can spread around the body but mine didn't.  From what I remember it was located on the top of one hand near the thumb. 

Let us know how you get on.

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 11:51:41 AM »

Put some Caneston on it yesterday and it doesn't seem so sore now. I have a cat so will check her for it. Sometimes when I'm laying on the sofa she lays on me and sometimes can accidentally dig her claw in when streching so it could be an infection from that too.
My grandaugher had ringworm a couple of months ago and the spores apparently stay alive for up to 18 months, so big spring clean today.
Not doing Dr Google anymore it's never something simple always the worst scenario, trouble is if you can't get to see a doctor that's all we have!

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 11:56:08 AM »

Could just be a cyst or a little boil/spot,please don't get over anxious,chances are it's nothing to worry about,although I know your brain won't be telling you that.
Lie flat on your bed with your arm raised behind you and have a good feel about,if you can't feel any lumps etc,your most likely ok,maybe you can get a hold of a nurse on Tuesday?
No lumps jaypo, but IBC isn't a lump it's cancer in the milk ducts and glands which shows as red spots and rashes and pain similar to mastitis. It's a rare cancer and mostly in the under 40's and very fast growing over weeks not months. Sounds awful.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 11:59:48 AM »

What is recommended for cleaning ringworm ?  Unless U R aware of what was touched ......  :-\

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 12:02:50 PM »

Ah,it's a rare cancer AND mostly in the under 40s,so hopefully that in itself will calm you down some but I DO understand how the old meno brain works,we've always got something weird and wonderful going on 🙄

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 12:04:31 PM »

There's a thread about that somewhere  ::)

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 07:57:39 PM »

What is recommended for cleaning ringworm ?  Unless U R aware of what was touched ......  :-\
Just general hovering and washing everywhere down I suppose, door handles etc. Washing towels afer use and changing bedding.

Dierdre

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 08:03:12 PM »

Ah,it's a rare cancer AND mostly in the under 40s,so hopefully that in itself will calm you down some but I DO understand how the old meno brain works,we've always got something weird and wonderful going on 🙄
Very true, mines in overdrive at the moment especially with health issues.

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 06:43:05 AM »

I've had ringworm a few times. It's very itchy and the rash is distinctive but it's not painful.

Taz x

Dierdre

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 02:48:02 PM »

Got in to see the doctor this morning, after a telephone consultation he asked me to come to the surgery. It's not ringworm or inflammatory breast cancer. He gave me a good examination and looked at the red patch through an eye glass, but he doesnt know what it is, he called it a lesion. Got to go back in four weeks to see if it's gone or changed. He said it's not anything nasty.
Also gave me a link to NHS Talking Therapy for my anxiety and a helpline number to ring.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2023, 02:49:32 PM »

It sounds like a good appointment with an understanding DR. I am so glad you had it checked so you can put your mind at rest. Great to hear you have a link and phone number to help with the anxiety too. :)
Pages: [1] 2