Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: How do I increase my HRT *very* gradually?  (Read 946 times)

Champers101

How do I increase my HRT *very* gradually?
« on: April 07, 2023, 11:54:07 AM »

Hi wondering if anyone could help please! After posting recently about unbearable symptoms returning I had a blood test taken and my oestrogen is apparently absolutely rock bottom. Despite having been on Evorel 75 patches for some time. Not sure how that happens…

Regardless, the doctor wants me to go up to a 100 patch asap. However when I last went up from 50 to 75 it triggered a fortnight of migraine hell, and so I’m terrified of that happening again.

I know some women cut up patches - and the doc said she could give me 25 patches to halve. I’m still worried that will be too big a jump.

Has anyone else gone up in smaller increments?

Thank you!

Flossieteacake

Re: How do I increase my HRT *very* gradually?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 12:24:28 PM »

I usually increase or decrease in 12.5 increments but I have seen members cut smaller bits off a patch.  I hope the increase helps you to feel better. :)

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 12:48:23 PM »

If she'll give you a 25 patch there's more scope for smaller increases, you can use a template to go it more accurately. It might be worth taping them on though as there will be more edges to lift.

Emzib0b

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 03:17:50 PM »

I just started a very slow dose increase as of yesterday and have quartered a 25mcg Evorel patch. I hope you feel better soon.

GraceM

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 03:37:15 PM »

Have you considered the gel or spray instead? you may not be absorbing the patch at all so an increase may not make much difference.

Pippa52

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 05:19:46 PM »

I increase incredibly slowly or like you I feel dreadful and also get awful migraines.  I did not absorb Oestrogel at all and my blood level was only 53 despite increasing the dose. Am now on Estradot patches.  To be honest I find even 12 quite a jump for me so I cut a 25 patch into quarters which makes increasing much easier and slower. Everyone is different though it's my ridiculously over sensitive system!!   Hope so much you feel better soon x

Emzib0b

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 06:28:52 PM »

I increase incredibly slowly or like you I feel dreadful and also get awful migraines.  I did not absorb Oestrogel at all and my blood level was only 53 despite increasing the dose. Am now on Estradot patches.  To be honest I find even 12 quite a jump for me so I cut a 25 patch into quarters which makes increasing much easier and slower. Everyone is different though it's my ridiculously over sensitive system!!   Hope so much you feel better soon x

Hi Pippa, how long do you wait before increasing by another quarter?

Nas

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 06:32:47 PM »

I have literally just jumped from 75 to 100 and felt the benefits within days. I’m not sure how,  as I may have well not been on HRT these last few months, given how I was feeling. 

If you are sensitive to change, I would definitely recommend snipping off a bit of patch to add  to your 75. Or as suggested, try the spray or gel?

Best of luck 🤞

Pippa52

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2023, 09:00:31 PM »

Emzibob - 4 weeks usually x

Champers101

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2023, 09:25:48 PM »

Thank you so much to everyone for the replies - all hugely appreciated.

I’m so scared I think I will try dividing a 25 into quarters. The doctor warned I might need to use tape as a cut up part wouldn’t stick on its own?

Can I ask, Pippa if you find you don’t get any side effects at all if you take it that slowly?

I do wish I could go straight up to 100 as am so desperate to feel better!

I wasn’t happy on the gel before as I could never be completely sure I was taking exactly the same amount every day - no pump produces exactly the same amount every day