Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy - ovestin and vagifem making vulva sore  (Read 818 times)

BooBoo21

Vaginal atrophy - ovestin and vagifem making vulva sore
« on: April 06, 2023, 06:35:38 PM »

Hello all,

I started on Ovestin for vaginal atrophy 7 months ago and it initially gave some relief although very messy (I thought), I became very very sore a couple of weeks later, so I was given Vagifem with ovestin on vulva and it is still very sore.  It feels like I am swollen (I am not), burning and that I am dry still (but most of the time I am not).  I started systemic HRT 5 months ago but this does not seemed to have helped the atrophy. I am very sticky down below and it appears the soreness is more on my labia.  Otherwise, I can tolerate all other symptoms fro peri menopause.  I am still having periods and I am 55.   I am wondering if I am allergic or irritated by the fillers in ovestin and vagifem and maybe estring will help.  I also use Yes VM and Sylk when needed.  It is most uncomfortable and I worry I am making things worse with so much going on down there.  I am due a blood test next week to ascertain if I am absorbing the oestrogen. Does this sound familiar to anybody and help or advice would be gratefully received.  I thought I was an intelligent women and that I may have hot flushes, night sweats and erratic periods but nothing about Vaginal dryness, boy have I been educated. It is only 7 months and I am very fed up with it. Thank you

Joaniepat

Re: Vaginal atrophy - ovestin and vagifem making vulva sore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 07:10:48 PM »

Hello Booboo, I am sorry to hear about your problems. In your position, I would drop the Yes VM and Sylk for now (especially as you say you are not dry) and just use a simple emollient on the vulva, such as Epaderm or Hydromol. You can also use these to wash with. I doubt if the fillers in Vagifem are causing a reaction, and as you used Ovestin for a while and it helped, that doesn't seem the likely culprit, although I don't discount the possibility. That aside, you might prefer the Estring as you can shove it up and leave it, and just use a little Ovestin on the labia once you feel better.
Do the labia look inflamed at all? Have you been swabbed for candida? Can I also ask how many Vagifem you are using per week? (Sorry, lots of questions.)
In the meantime, some find an ice pack between the legs, such as a tin of something that has been in the freezer (well wrapped of course!) can ease the burning temporarily.
JP x

Minusminnie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 07:38:04 AM »

Hello all,

I started on Ovestin for vaginal atrophy 7 months ago and it initially gave some relief although very messy (I thought), I became very very sore a couple of weeks later, so I was given Vagifem with ovestin on vulva and it is still very sore. 

Have you tried a one off 150mg Fluconazole tablet to see if it rules out possibility of thrush ?

I would strip back to using just the vagifem and see what happens then add any products on the vulva one at a time.  I've found use of emollient first followed on by adding ovestin can be helpful. Too much and you can't tell what is doing what.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 08:38:38 AM »

4 me thrush is intense itching high up which I am unable to reach with a finger.

Dryness requiring VA treatment is totally different.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 02:42:12 PM »

YES VM made me sore and so did Silk, these products don't suit everyone.

BooBoo21

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 07:25:40 PM »

Thank you all, I do not have thrush as I have had swabs taken.  The vagifem works, but it is external where I have most of the difficulties especially when I start the progesterone. It just feels odd down there.  I am not explaining it very well but feels swollen, like parts are hanging out and burning all over my vulva.  I did not know whether the oestrogen had plumped it up down there and I am getting used to it as it has obviously got thinner gradually that I would not have noticed. Thought my oestrogen levels would be ok given I am still having periods but alas no. I never thought I would be discussing my vagina so openly but thank you all x

Cara999

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 08:54:59 PM »

BooBoo21 I struggle with the outside area too, feel like it's wide open and everything is hanging!! I use estriol externally which helps the sorenss but it still feels odd and like you say hard to explain. Inside feels okay with vagifem and I don't feel dry xxx

Minusminnie

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 06:17:04 AM »

Thank you all, I do not have thrush as I have had swabs taken.  The vagifem works, but it is external where I have most of the difficulties especially when I start the progesterone. It just feels odd down there.  I am not explaining it very well but feels swollen, like parts are hanging out and burning all over my vulva.  I did not know whether the oestrogen had plumped it up down there and I am getting used to it as it has obviously got thinner gradually that I would not have noticed. Thought my oestrogen levels would be ok given I am still having periods but alas no. I never thought I would be discussing my vagina so openly but thank you all x

I found that vagifem alone never reached the vulva.

I would ask to be examined as feeling of hanging and soreness might be start of prolapse.  Having said that though you have not been using the ovestin externally for long and it can take some time to work.  Either way it might be worth mentioning to someone.

Maybe localised without systemic HRT may be better if you can feel a correlation between when you take the progesterone part.  I am only using localised but others on here are using both.

Afraid it all takes trial and error and time.

If vaginas were discussed more openly in general around the menopause we would be much more educated and prepared for all this.