Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: !! Emergency e-mail alert warning. !!  (Read 10702 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
!! Emergency e-mail alert warning. !!
« on: March 19, 2023, 09:29:31 AM »

A siren-like alert will be sent to mobile phone users across the UK next month to test a new government public warning system.

It allows the government and emergency services to send urgent messages warning the public of life-threatening situations like flooding or wildfires.

The test is expected to take place in the early evening of 23 April.

Phone users will have to acknowledge the alert before they can use other features on their devices.

A message will appear on the home screens of people's devices during the test, with vibration and a loud warning sound that will ring for about 10 seconds, even if the phone is set to silent.

from BBC News this morning.  I find this quite intrusive.  How do 'they' get my mobile number?  How does the Data Protection Act sit with this?

How will we know how to respond if the alarm goes off in future  :-\

Limpy

Re: !! Emergency e-mail alert warning. !!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 10:38:46 AM »

It allows the government and emergency services to send urgent messages warning the public of life-threatening situations like flooding or wildfires.

I would imagine that the Data Protection Act is covered in that any data they (gov and emergency services) hold will be registered  for use during emergency situations.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 11:39:31 AM »

Having read various parts of the Data Protection Act .......... unless this has been updated recently in a Section of its own, it is unlikely to apply.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 12:51:13 PM »

I think it's worse than that. Unless it's something like a nuclear bomb that might affect the entire UK they know where you are too.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 02:03:53 PM »

Below is an extract from the GDPR

"8Lawfulness of processing: public interest etc
In Article 6(1) of the GDPR (lawfulness of processing), the reference in point (e) to processing of personal data that is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of the controller’s official authority includes processing of personal data that is necessary for—
(a)the administration of justice,
(b)the exercise of a function of either House of Parliament,
(c)the exercise of a function conferred on a person by an enactment or rule of law,
(d)the exercise of a function of the Crown, a Minister of the Crown or a government department, or

(e)an activity that supports or promotes democratic engagement."

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/12/section/8/enacted

It looks like sections c and cover the use of personal data for a government warning system,

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 05:25:46 PM »

What's GDPR that you quote from? 

Big Brother and all that! 

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 05:46:35 PM »

It is the Data Protection Act CLKD.
The original Data Protection act - 1984 became the GDPR in 2018.
I think the link above will give you access to the entire act should you so wish!

The thing is the Act is meant to prevent unauthorised access to personal information. It seems that "they" i.e. powers that be can do what they like  ::) 
Mind you the emergency alert thing might be sensible IF it's implemented sensibly - hmmm

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 06:16:55 PM »

Tnx.  When I kept personal details on disc I had to have a Data Protection Cert. which cost me £72.00 for 2 years.  However, Data Protection didn't have anything that covered my work ...........  ::)

How would 'they' get my mobile phone details.  The shop from whom I purchased my mobile has a duty of care to keep my details safe, i.e. not to give or sell them to anyone else without my permission.  "How we protect your Date" no longer seems to apply in that I get scam phones and texts  >:(

I did ask the Parish Council 5 years ago to put the Area Emergency Plan on the village notice board, apparently it was too long .........

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 07:07:19 PM »

Your mobile number could get out in a few ways.  E.g if you give it to medical people, thinking things like local GP, hospital, or dentist or covid checking.  Another way could be local council or tax people.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 09:00:31 PM »

They have a duty of care to protect my details and not pass them on without asking me.  I was reluctant for years to give any mobile numbers out.  They still can't use it without my permission. 

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 09:15:15 PM »

Perhaps they don't need your details. your network knows where your phone is so perhaps they'll do it that way, it doesn't matter who owns the phone.

Dierdre

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2023, 10:00:45 PM »

Technology now can trace where your phone is and who phoned you last and who you've phoned. This is how they trace missing people etc.
I doubt very much this alert precaution is just for floods  and wildfires though.

Marchlove

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 10:08:17 PM »

Seems more like Big Brother to me!

Ayesha

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2023, 10:37:42 PM »

We are following other countries that have this alert system.
I believe if I am correct, that they don't have individual phone numbers but the alert is sent out via the nearby phone masts.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 09:34:04 AM »

That makes more sense  :thankyou:  Big Brother was my first thought!  [yet we have to carry a photo ID when we want to Vote at local elections which is a legal 'right']. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4