Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Magnesium glycinate (Solgar chelated)  (Read 4910 times)

Sheri

Magnesium glycinate (Solgar chelated)
« on: February 15, 2023, 06:07:46 PM »

Hello everyone, hope you are all feeling as best as you can be.
Its been awhile since I've been on here. Alittle update about my history. I am perimenopausal & started HRT sequi patches but after not tolerating them, i found out i am estrogen dominate & i had a scary breast cancer scare. Turned out to be a fibroderma (unsure of spelling). Anyway, i stopped all HRT & felt ok for abit. Had intensive CBT to help anxiety so it did help me understand how to see its not me, its my anxiety causing my intrusive thoughts etc.
I've started taking vit b complex, omega 3 oils, vit d & thinkingbof starting magnesium glycinate. I talked with my pharmacist who said my mag levels on blood test were ok, not brilliant but ok. My kidneys are ok so she's not concerned that they won't cope with the mag. But I'm to start at 200mg rather than 400mg.
Does anyone take magnesium & do you get your levels checked or just wing it & does it actually work to help reduce anxiety?
Sorry if there is alot of question here. I'm just trying to keep it all in one post.
Thanks for reading.
Xx

canadagirl

Re: Magnesium glycinate (Solgar chelated)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 07:24:24 PM »

I was having a terrible anxiety flare up last week and decided to focus on some magnesium supplements outside of my regular multivitamin and I find it's helped SO MUCH.  I take it in the morning and right before bed.  Who knows maybe it's just a placebo effect but I am here for it.  You do have to be sure to take the Magnesium Glycinate for sure though - not all mags are the same and that's the best one to take according to my naturopath.  I've never had my levels checked though - just going rogue here.
In general I've upped my Magnesium, My B vitamin and got back on taking melatonin at night so I can at least make sure i'm sleeping cuz that never helps my anxiety.

Sheri

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 07:34:17 PM »

Thank you for replying. It says magnesium chelated (magnesium bisglyinate) which my pharmacist says its same as glycinate.
I'm glad its working for you. Out of curiosity how long before you felt a difference? Any side effects? And what strength vit b do you take? My vit b is just a run of the mill asda one.

canadagirl

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 10:07:35 PM »

I mean, they say it's supposed to take a week to notice a difference with magnesium but for me it was only a couple of days.  And I supposed it could've been some kind of coincidence with something else -- maybe I just settled down lol?  But I feel better and like the edge has been taken off.  For the B, I just take the Webber Naturals B100 complex as per bottle directions.  No side effects for either yet but it hasn't been that long.

HellsBells

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 01:43:34 PM »

Is extra magnesium bad for your kidneys then? I have also just started.

Sheri

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 02:47:13 PM »

It can be & too much can cause heart attacks. But most of us don't consume enough magnesium for it to happen. Pretty much like vit D. We're always borderline low due to out weather, they say.
I've started taking 100mg then will up it to 200mg. Will get my levels & kidneys checked in 4 wks time & if ok, i will increase it. But I'll give myself a month & if it doesn't help with anxiety, I'll stop it.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 08:57:06 AM »

Hello ladies.

I have recently started taking vitamin D in the hope that it settles my emotional symptoms which include low mood, frequent mood swings and anxiety.

I understand that it takes a week for it to get into your system as it has to be processed by the liver first. I felt that it was helping but I had a wobbly day yesterday so who knows? I will continue with it however as well as B 12 and magnesium. I also take K2 with vitamin D as this helps absorption.

Wishing you well ladies.

K.

Sheri

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 01:00:53 PM »

I've started taking my magnesium glycinate (only 100mg atm) vit d (on prescription ) omega 3 oils, zinc, vit b complex, vit e & vit K. I've completely cut out sugar (which has really helped my sugars). Its been over a week & i feel calmer. Still have episodes of anxiety/intrusive thoughts but i no longer get into a mental fight with them.
I'm inclined to believe its mostly the magnesium that's helped & I'm going to increase it to 200mg on Monday. No side effects to report like stomach cramps.
I just wish GP'S would consider mentioning taking these vits to help people with anxiety even if its caused by life's struggles, perimenopause or genetics. We all need to be made aware that there are other natural resources for those who can't or don't want to go on anti anxiety meds or HRT.
I'm just hoping its not a placebo effect.