Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Continuous utrogestan regime  (Read 1385 times)

Meeka

Continuous utrogestan regime
« on: January 21, 2023, 08:19:36 AM »

Hi everyone ,
It’s been a while since I posted on here  .
I’m almost 60 and been on four pumps of oestrogen and taking utrogestan seven days a month which produces a withdrawal bleed .
I haven’t been to the gynaecologist who prescribed this regime for a couple of years but recently saw another who insisted that at my age I should now be on continuous utrogestan with no bleed and to reduce my oestrogen to two pumps per day .
My oestrogen level is only at 130 on four pumps .   Does anyone else on here at my age still have a bleed and use utrogestan cyclically ?
Not sure what to do as I don’t feel as well when taking the utrogestan .
Mirena coil was also mentioned as a solution .
Thanks

Hurdity

Re: Continuous utrogestan regime
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 08:56:00 AM »

Hi there Meeka - I remember you!

Yes I am one who still does. I am late 60's and have been taking Utrogestan cyclically for most of the past 15 years, for the same reason - I don't like Utrogestan and the effects of it, and also the potential link with breast cancer of continuous progestogens into older age though no actual causal link has been demonstrated.

So your gynae is wrong - you can take it how you like ie cyclically or continuously provided there is not medical reason specific to you, not to do so.

Obviously no-one chooses to have a bleed at our age for fun, but it's a question of the lesser of two evils.

I was offered the Mirena coil at age 60 because I had some unscheduled spotting but I politely declined. If you do not have abnormal bleeding then no need to.

My only concern would be that with a 7 day regime your uterus lining might thicken but I presume you are having regular scans to check? Also if you've had no abnormal or heavy bleeding this may indicate your lining is not thickeing, and if your oestrogen levels are that low and you are not absorbing much then again - the oestrogen may be insufficient to overstimulate the lining so OK there too?

Hope you're well :)

Hurdity x

DottyD68

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 01:04:28 PM »

Hi there Meeka,

I started on a cyclical regime at 53 as I was still having periods. I was on 4 pumps oestrogel and 200mg utrogestan days 15-28 of the month. The GP told me that I should do that for a year and then move to a continuous regime of 100mg Utrogestan daily.

I had a big hiccup when I came to change this regime last August/September as I had covid. Many of my menopause symptoms returned so I was advised to go back to original regime til everything settled.

I have now reduced my oestrogel to 3 pumps a day and am about to start utrogestan 100mg daily. I asked the GP about taking utrogestan for 25 days out of 28 (to give myself 3 days break as I have read on this forum) and she told me that this wasn't recognised by NICE guidelines and to try the daily regime. I am hoping I get on ok with the daily but if not I will go back to a cyclical regime 14 days out of 28 as that is ok and I don't mind the bleed.

As Hurdity says I am not sure that just 7 days of utrogestan is enough to manage the lining of your womb but I'm sure you discussed this with your gynae/GP. There is so much differing advise. My GPs seem pretty adamant that it's either 14 x 200mg or 28 x 100mg and nothing else.

Meeka

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 07:30:48 PM »

Hi there Meeka - I remember you!

Yes I am one who still does. I am late 60's and have been taking Utrogestan cyclically for most of the past 15 years, for the same reason - I don't like Utrogestan and the effects of it, and also the potential link with breast cancer of continuous progestogens into older age though no actual causal link has been demonstrated.

So your gynae is wrong - you can take it how you like ie cyclically or continuously provided there is not medical reason specific to you, not to do so.

Obviously no-one chooses to have a bleed at our age for fun, but it's a question of the lesser of two evils.

I was offered the Mirena coil at age 60 because I had some unscheduled spotting but I politely declined. If you do not have abnormal bleeding then no need to.

My only concern would be that with a 7 day regime your uterus lining might thicken but I presume you are having regular scans to check? Also if you've had no abnormal or heavy bleeding this may indicate your lining is not thickeing, and if your oestrogen levels are that low and you are not absorbing much then again - the oestrogen may be insufficient to overstimulate the lining so OK there too?

Hope you're well :)

Hurdity x

Hi Hurdity,

I remember you too !  And pleased you’re still here as I remember how knowledgable you are .
Thank you for replying and confirming that it can work for us to continue with the cyclical regime into our 60’s .

I did have a uterine scan a couple of years ago and all was well . Probably time I had another . My last bleed was a bit heavier than usual .  Maybe I should take the utrogestan for 10 days per month and try that for a while and see how things go .
Thank again  :)

Meeka

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 07:38:07 PM »

Hi there Meeka,

I started on a cyclical regime at 53 as I was still having periods. I was on 4 pumps oestrogel and 200mg utrogestan days 15-28 of the month. The GP told me that I should do that for a year and then move to a continuous regime of 100mg Utrogestan daily.

I had a big hiccup when I came to change this regime last August/September as I had covid. Many of my menopause symptoms returned so I was advised to go back to original regime til everything settled.

I have now reduced my oestrogel to 3 pumps a day and am about to start utrogestan 100mg daily. I asked the GP about taking utrogestan for 25 days out of 28 (to give myself 3 days break as I have read on this forum) and she told me that this wasn't recognised by NICE guidelines and to try the daily regime. I am hoping I get on ok with the daily but if not I will go back to a cyclical regime 14 days out of 28 as that is ok and I don't mind the bleed.

As Hurdity says I am not sure that just 7 days of utrogestan is enough to manage the lining of your womb but I'm sure you discussed this with your gynae/GP. There is so much differing advise. My GPs seem pretty adamant that it's either 14 x 200mg or 28 x 100mg and nothing else.

Hi Dotty ,

Many thanks for your reply .
Like you say , I think GP’ s are restricted by NICE guidelines and don’t seem to waver from these set rules . 

Hope you find the right regime that works for you .   I’m going I’ll try to increase my days on utrogestan and see how things go .
Thanks again   :)