Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Gastro Esophagul Reflux Disease  (Read 5215 times)

Katty

Re: Gastro Esophagul Reflux Disease
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2023, 12:27:39 PM »

Thank you so much for all that information. It does seem that there is a problem with magnesium absorption in oral supplements as well as from food. Other vitamins may get in via spray. Of course as we age these depletions are important especially for bone density. When I was first diagnosed with Acid Reflux at the age of 44 I came off ppi's because of concerns about long term use. Now at 60 I'm more concerned with quality of life as it's got worse. I feel so much better now I am back on them again. I'll take some supplements and hope for the best. I'm on Kliovance HRT so hoping that will help too. At least I'm not drowning in me own acid every day 😁

Ayesha

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2023, 02:43:02 PM »

I was on PPI's a long time before I realised the side effects on the body from taking them. It was when I started on the supplements that I started to feel so much better, I was obviously lacking in some vitamins because of the way I was feeling. Once the supplements kicked in my energy came back and I no longer suffer from fatigue. Unfortunately I can't tolerate magnesium or calcium but I am happy with how I am feeling now whilst having to take PPI's  long term.  From someone who never took a paracetamol I have a cupboard full of supplements I take daily, such is old age! I never say no anymore to what's on offer to make me feel better. 

Glad you have got it all sorted, Katty, it's all about quality of life and what works for you.

Katty

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2023, 03:09:49 PM »

Do you take your supplements in tablet form? As you are feeling better it sounds as though they may be getting through.

Ayesha

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2023, 05:38:16 PM »

I take them all in tablet form.
My latest supplement is probiotics, recommended by forum member Flossieteacake.  I had never taken them before and I would now highly recommend them to anyone dealing with digestive issues.
This forum is a font of amazing information from the women on here, I have learned so much!

Katty

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2023, 09:50:13 PM »

I take Lanszoprazole first thing in the morning around an hour before eating. Has anyone got any advice on when to take a supplement to maximise any absorption and not interfere with the Lanszoprazole? Thanks

Ayesha

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2023, 10:37:36 PM »

I can only speak from my own experience. I take Omeprazole 30 mins before breakfast. After breakfast I have the first of my supplements with water then after dinner in the early evening I have the rest. I don’t have any issues taking my supplements this way and they are not interfering with the Omeprazole.

Katty

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2023, 12:12:51 AM »

Thank you for your help. When you say it's your experience that's exactly what I'm looking for. Instruction leaflets and information online is no substitute for people's actual experience. Thank you

Taz2

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2023, 12:26:13 AM »

Thanks Ayesha. Which supplements do you take? Sorry if you've already said. I've had my calcium and B12 checked and they are stil fine after four years of omeprazole. I was found to have very low vitaminD though and since being on a prescribed dose for the last six weeks I now feel so much better. I was sure it was to do with the omeprazole but this wasn't the case thankfully.

Taz x

Ayesha

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2023, 10:36:59 AM »

My daily routine for about a year is VitB12-100mg, L-Choline 500, Plant Sterol 400mg after breakfast.

After dinner Zinc 15mg, Plant Sterol 400mg and a Probiotic  All taken in tablet and capsule form.

Just as an aside to all of this. For years I have been pre-diabetic even with a very healthy diet. At the doctors this week to get the results of my annual blood tests,  I have been told I am no longer pre-diabetic and my number is very low, in fact his words were I am way off being pre- diabetic.

I haven’t done enough research yet, but I think I can safely say it’s thanks to the zinc.   But I was told my cholesterol was high at 7.2 and as I never say no anymore to meds, I started on my first statin last night and am feeling very jittery this morning and hoping for no long term side effects!!
I am now off to the shops rattling all the way no doubt.  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2023, 12:26:34 PM »

Well done on reversing the pre-diabetes! I agree that it's probably the zinc which has helped together, no doubt, with more exercise and losing any excess weight. My partner is currently trying to reverse his recently diagnosed pre-diabetic status and has been advised to take zinc supplements as well as all of the dietary advice and upping the exercise. So far he has lost almost a stone.

Sorry that the plant sterols haven't lowered your cholesterol enough but I wonder how high it would be without them? I haven't had my cholesterol checked for six years and my doctor is reluctant to do it but I don't know why! Good luck with the statins. My partner has no side effects from his - I can't remember which one he is on though.

Taz x

Ayesha

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2023, 02:29:43 PM »

Taz2, that’s very interesting your comment about zinc. I will take that as confirmation that it’s the zinc that reversed my prediabetes.  It didn’t make sense to me being on a healthy diet and weighing under 8 stone with no alcohol and smoking, that for years I had this diagnoses.

I didn’t start taking plant sterols until after I had the blood test but I am going to continue with them whilst being on the statins.

I hope your husband manages to reverse his prediabetes, it’s quite an achievement and satisfying when you do.  :)

Katty

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2023, 10:57:18 PM »

Has anyone ever had a situation where they've eaten something and had stomach pains for hours after? It's as if I couldn't digest it. It was chicken, potato wedges and side salad. It feels like I can't eat like that anymore. Wind is also shocking. I haven't been out much as I try to stabilise but just as well. I didn't want to turn into a farty old lady 😂

Ayesha

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2023, 09:55:01 AM »

Salads were the first thing I stopped, in particular cucumber, it gave me bad stomach pains.
My supplements list has grown so much because of the amount of foods I am now unable to eat, it's like my stomach is reversing back to being a baby/toddler.

It can get very depressing walking around supermarkets now, I used to love food and cooking with a glass of wine in hand but I reach for the supplements now. Oh the joys of old age and having to educate myself on how to learn all about this new body I am inhabiting.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2023, 11:44:37 AM »

I can no longer eat salad either. Cucumber makes me feel bloated, tomato gives me acid reflux, etc. I feel the same as Ayesha as I too feel sad thinking of all the foods I cannot eat.

Ayesha

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2023, 12:12:08 PM »

I remember being in tears walking around the supermarket, especially at Christmas time,  and seeing all that lovely food on the shelves that I used to love and cook.
I still walk around the supermarket now but let my husband do all the shopping, I look at the flowers and buy them instead as a treat!  ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4