Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is my HRT strong enough?  (Read 616 times)

Menopausenow79

• First Flush
Is my HRT strong enough?
« on: January 04, 2023, 05:04:23 PM »

Hi everyone

I am after some advice (43) as just joined, last August I started developing & collecting menopause symptoms it was really tough by mid Nov I’d reached my lowest point and menopause was confirmed 2 days before my b day - thinking about the info for world menopause day helped.

Fast forward I was prescribed Evorel 25mg, after a week or 2 I realised it wasn’t enough I spoke to Dr again and dose was increased to 50mg. After a week I continued to feel worse and spoke to dr who prescribed anti depressants.

Initially both began to help but I’ve had a bad cold and obvs Xmas. Before all of this I was swimming 3 to 4 times a week plus I spend about 2.5hours exercising most days.

Anyway my question is this I still have very limited motivational Im excessively tired yet have been on holiday from work. I’m back to work tomorrow but I’m not sure if I can do it with my energy levels. I want to go swimming but some days I can’t bring myself to I’m trying to be kind but it’s really hard - I don’t know if I will ever feel like me again.

Should I speak to dr about my hrt strength? Even the thought of showering some days is like a huge mountain.

Peanut31

Re: Is my HRT strong enough?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 05:41:29 PM »

Hi

Just a thought but have you had your thyroid tested.

TSH, T4 & T3?

Just testing TSH alone is not adequate, although I bet your GP will only test your TSH.

Unfortunately, the NHS don’t realise how important T3 & T4 are when testing.

If you have had those results, and they come back as “normal” this means nothing. All it means is that it’s without range.

I’m sure this forum would not mind posting the results of you have them.

You can self test your thyroid with a finger **** blood test too.

I’m speaking from experience and my own thyroid journey. Luckily for me I had support on forums that helped me see that in fact my thyroid results were not “normal” when tested with the GP, and I managed to start medication around 6 years ago.

I’ve now entered peri menopause and on HRT, which is helping.

I’m not saying it is not related to menopause, but it could be your thyroid.

Best wishes
Peanut31

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 05:50:39 PM »

Hi
I’m just thinking, are you peri menopausal or post?
Also what do you take for progesterone?
Have you had any blood tests taken to see if you are absorbing anything from the patches?

I feel the same today, exhausted and have no energy.

LaoiseK

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 06:53:21 PM »

Peanut31
How did you get your thyroid tested eventually?
Thanks

Menopausenow79

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 07:02:05 PM »

Hey

Thank you for comments!

I have the mirena coil too & the dr runs lots of tests including thyroid which didn’t show anything.

I just don’t know if how I feel is normal or whether I need to do something else. I’m just exhausted when I did go swimming it felt different & just feel like I’m clinging on I don’t understand.

I’m also taking berrocca multi vit plus iron marine collagen (my hair started falling out), extra strength calcium & cold pressed starflower oil yet I still feel like this

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 07:45:21 PM »

Do you take vit D? The nhs doesn't usually test this as they assume everyone is deficient in winter. Is tiredness your only symptom? It can be hard to work out what's causing it as there are so many possibilities. If there's nothing more specifically meno related I'd be inclined to give the new dose the 3 months they recommend to get the full benefits before considering an increase. How is your libido? If it's low or zero you may consider adding adding testosterone. It helped my motivation but my libido was zero.
The nhs don't run all the thyroid tests they should. Mine came back fine from the nhs test but the medichecks one showed I have Hashimoto's.

Zoe

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 08:19:38 PM »

Agree with Sheila99 re testosterone. If your GP won't test for it then Medichecks have a test for women that tests testosterone, oestradiol, albumin, SHBG and free testosterone.

In my experience, testosterone is about far more than libido.

Info available on this website and Newson Health also has a good fact sheet on their website or via their Balance app.

Peanut31

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 09:12:42 PM »

LaoiseK

My GP test my thyroid levels and told me it was “normal” it wasn’t until I joined several thyroid forums, they told me about private blood testing.

I did a medichecks one full vitamin full thyroid being TSH, T4 & T3 plus antibodies test.

It came back as my TSH was 12, at the time NHS would treat you with a TSH of 10, and it came backed raised antibodies.

By this time I was a zombie, so I saw my allocated GP as my hubby had to dress me and take me. He took a look at me and the tests and put me on levo straight away. My thyroid journey was a long one to recovery.

As levo didn’t work for me, so I’m on NDT and Levo as a combination.

As someone mentioned vitamin levels are important too.

Best wishes
Peanut31.