Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Pre-diabetic diet  (Read 10416 times)

Penguin

Re: Pre-diabetic diet
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2023, 10:43:53 AM »

Thanks, I will ask the GP next time I'm there. On hols atm so diet out of the window, but sugar will definitely be reduced when I'm back  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2023, 11:21:52 AM »

Oh - we have a holiday thread ;-) do tell  :D

CLKD

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2023, 11:23:02 AM »

Also children are developing Type1 due to Covid so it's told so more research required on that 1.  I haven't read whether these children had the Virus.

Penguin

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2023, 11:59:57 AM »

CLKD, where is the holiday thread I can't seem to find it?

CLKD

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2023, 12:37:14 PM »

Will bump it

AngelaH

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2023, 01:10:02 PM »

I didn't realise there was a direct genetic link with Type 2, i just thought it was with Type 1.
I don’t think Type2 gene even exists, like Type1. Type2 diabetes this is the result of a lifestyle. A child born to less physically active parents, living on unhealthy diet more likely to grow up and continue the same lifestyle in the future. A child born to physically active parents and having healthy diet more likely will bring those habits to her/his future adult life. People with black skin more likely to get Type2, there is a connection with colour of skin. Why? I don’t have an answer, but it is not just Type2 diabetes, but there are some other health conditions and diseases which black people can get more likely than white.

Taz2

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2023, 01:33:34 PM »

I think it may be a combination of both. There is a genetic link to type 2 diabetes  though. My parents had a healthy lifestyle and we always ate well. They weren't overweight. My brother and myself were brought up the same. My brother iwas actually my half brother (different dad's due to his dad dying in WW2) and he developed diabetes just like my mum and at the same age. So far I'm clear. Researching family tree stuff I find that four of my mum's seven siblings also developed type 2 in their fifties. Maybe the link will become clearer but lifestyle is also involved somewhere. Being able to ward it off though, by being aware of your own risk, has to be a good thing especially for those most vulnerable. https://diabetes.org/diabetes/genetics-diabetes#:~:text=Type%202%20diabetes%20has%20a,also%20depends%20on%20environmental%20factors.

Taz x

AngelaH

« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2023, 02:23:07 PM »

I think it may be a combination of both. There is a genetic link to type 2 diabetes  though. My parents had a healthy lifestyle and we always ate well. They weren't overweight. My brother and myself were brought up the same. My brother iwas actually my half brother (different dad's due to his dad dying in WW2) and he developed diabetes just like my mum and at the same age. So far I'm clear. Researching family tree stuff I find that four of my mum's seven siblings also developed type 2 in their fifties. Maybe the link will become clearer but lifestyle is also involved somewhere. Being able to ward it off though, by being aware of your own risk, has to be a good thing especially for those most vulnerable. https://diabetes.org/diabetes/genetics-diabetes#:~:text=Type%202%20diabetes%20has%20a,also%20depends%20on%20environmental%20factors.

Taz x
Thanks Taz, I have read a lot about Type2 diabetes, there is connection between oestrogen and Type2 diabetes in women as well, this is why women in the age of 40+ are so effected. I don’t have history of diabetes in my family, but I am on healthy diet from the age of 32, I am very physically active, much more active than the average person, I was born with that, but I was also born with a sweet tooth, it was ok until I reached the age of 32, after that I realised that amount of cakes I ate would kill me by the age of 40-45. This is why I am so sceptical about Type2 diabetes gene.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 02:24:57 PM by AngelaH »

CLKD

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2023, 03:26:11 PM »

Certainly I understand that there is a link to Type 2 diabetes.  Type 1 - people are born with.  Type 2 is acquired, partly genetic the rest is lifestyle.  Or in my case, medication  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2023, 05:15:33 PM »

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2023, 05:16:35 PM »

Certainly I understand that there is a link to Type 2 diabetes.  Type 1 - people are born with.  Type 2 is acquired, partly genetic the rest is lifestyle.  Or in my case, medication  >:(

Which medication has caused the pre diabetes ?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2023, 05:30:50 PM »

Statins ....... Atrovastatin. 

AngelaH

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2023, 08:23:15 PM »

Yes, statins can raise blood sugar levels, so need to be careful how much sugar you put in your body.

CLKD

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2023, 08:49:20 PM »

I haven't altered my diet.  So it's the medication  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2023, 07:07:57 AM »

Even though you haven't changed your diet if you've had a high intake of sugar over the years this can eventually lead to prediabetes as your pancreas is having to work harder day after day. I guess you are on statins due to high cholesterol. High cholesterol can cause diabetes so without the statins you'd probably still be pre-diabetic?  To give yourself the best chance to reverse it you do need to cut down on sugar (which is in so many things sadly) to stop the spikes in insulin. That's what seems to be the advice anyway. I eat too much sugar I'm sure  :(

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6