Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VA getting worse  (Read 4029 times)

Jal

VA getting worse
« on: November 28, 2022, 07:38:36 PM »

Hi I'm new to the forum and I'm starting to feel a bit desperate. I was diagnosed with VA 2 years ago when I was experiencing a lot of soreness. I was prescribed ovestin which has helped a bit. My main issue is that I feel there are very few clothes I can comfortably well. I have adapted my wardrobe and last winter was wearing skirts and tights (only certain ones were ok). The va did seem to be getting worse though and I was in a lot of pain at times but this didn't seem to relate to what I was wearing. This winter the comfortable tights are now irritating me and I have no idea what I can wear in colder weather. This is particularly difficult as I like walking but I've found that I've been staying at home a lot rather than braving the irritation and pain. I have tried increasing the ovestin with no improvement and I can suffer from breast pain when I change the dose. I am seeing the gynaecologist this week but I am not hopeful that he'll be able to suggest anything which will improve things.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: VA getting worse
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 08:24:31 PM »

How often R U inserting the 'ovestin'?  It can be used every night, inside and out.  For as long as until symptoms become comfortable.  Sometimes I need to insert an extra dose mid-afternoon and when I get the need2P I take 'nurofen' 2 capsules 3 times a day. 

Starting tonight, reload - 'ovestin' every night for at leat 2-3 weeks.  Then reduce but you may require it more often than every 3rd or 5/6th nights.

Let us know how you get on. 

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 08:55:55 PM »

I use Vagifem internally and Ovestin externally and sometimes also internally every night. You can also ask for full HRT to use systemically as well as the local estrogens. These are the other options you need to ask your gynaecologist at your appointment, there is no need to suffer.

Cara999

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 09:17:19 PM »

I feel mine goes worse in winter because of clothing. Summer, long dresses and no knickers works perfectly but not in winter!! Hope it soon resolves for you xx

Jal

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 11:12:06 AM »

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I currently use ovestin every other night. I did increase to 4 times a week but it didn't seem to help. I also reloaded by using every night for 2 weeks earlier in the year but again this didn't help. I'm quite susceptible to side effects and worry when my breasts start to hurt with any increase or sometimes decrease in use. I also feel that the area becomes swollen if I increase too much. The gynaecologist said that he wouldn't advise using ovestin more than 2 or 3 times a week but I can discuss the reason for this when I see him and ask about increasing it and other treatment options.

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 12:32:08 PM »

I use Vagifem and Ovestin, and moisturiser every day without any problems from my surgery.  Side effects of the treatments are annoying if it stops you from increasing the dose but it's perfectly acceptable to use more VA treatment if necessary.

I also agree about winter clothing making matters worse with symptoms, I just have to wear tracksuit trousers and it will give me a flare up, but just whilst I am wearing them, I mainly wear long skirts when indoors.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 12:43:54 PM »

Don't bother with that Gynaecologist!  doesn't know what he/she is talking about  >:(

VA treatment can be used as often as is necessary.  Ayesha has a good idea of using several types appropriately.  Many find that this keeps symptoms under control.  MayB ask for 'vagifem' for internal use - via a pessary - and keep the 'ovestin' for the outer area.

Minusminnie

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 12:51:38 PM »

Hi I'm new to the forum and I'm starting to feel a bit desperate. I was diagnosed with VA 2 years ago when I was experiencing a lot of soreness. I was prescribed ovestin which has helped a bit. My main issue is that I feel there are very few clothes I can comfortably well. I have adapted my wardrobe and last winter was wearing skirts and tights (only certain ones were ok). The va did seem to be getting worse though and I was in a lot of pain at times but this didn't seem to relate to what I was wearing. This winter the comfortable tights are now irritating me and I have no idea what I can wear in colder weather. This is particularly difficult as I like walking but I've found that I've been staying at home a lot rather than braving the irritation and pain. I have tried increasing the ovestin with no improvement and I can suffer from breast pain when I change the dose. I am seeing the gynaecologist this week but I am not hopeful that he'll be able to suggest anything which will improve things.

One member posted about Pamela Mann crotchless tights a while back which are 50 denier & may help re keeping warm.  John Lewis did do 85% cotton winter tights with a cotton gusset which I find okay.  I think that they still sell them called cotton rich tights.

Jal

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 10:10:22 AM »

Thanks again everybody. Good to feel supported and I'm feeling more positive as a result. All the suggestions about treatment are helpful. It's difficult as the gynaecologist is the only health professional I've encountered who seems to understand the issue - I won't go into detail about how little other doctors and nurses seem to know. He's quite easy to talk to so armed with the info from here I'll hopefully make some progress when I see him tomorrow.
I'm also grateful for the suggestions about clothing. I already wear cotton tights - it's the seams that are the problem. I'll have a look at what the John Lewis ones are like and I'll definitely check out the crotchless ones that were mentioned.
Thank you again. It's good to know that there are women who can pass on all this knowledge gained from experience.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 12:24:23 PM »

Gynaes don't always know much about menopause.  Sadly.  However, this is the time to build a working relationship with your practitioner, mayB get a copy of 'me and my menopausal vagina' to hand over too. 

Put that treatment up there as often as required, occasionally I need 'ovestin' mid afternoon as well as my evening dose. 

Jal

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 07:07:35 PM »

Unfortunately I think gynaecologist is only option in my area. I haven't been using ovestin on outer area so that might help. Thanks for your support and advice. Will look up the leaflet.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 08:34:40 PM »

Let us know how you get on.

Jal

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 09:10:03 PM »

Thanks. I've looked up me and my menopausal vagina now. Looks like an interesting book.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 07:49:20 AM »

It is ;-). 

Jal

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 06:40:35 PM »

Well the appointment didn't go as I expected. The gynaecologist said that the ovestin seemed to be effective and the area looks OK. He suggested that the nerves may have been sensitised because of the issues before starting  treatment. He's prescribed a tablet which might help and also has asked for a scan to see if there is an internal problem. I'll try the tablets and hope they work. I'm also wondering if I should try a moisturiser. Currently using hydromol which doesn't help much. Does anybody have any suggestions please?
Pages: [1] 2