Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34

Author Topic: Does "man" offend you?  (Read 59465 times)

holidaylover

Re: Does "man" offend you?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2022, 01:34:32 PM »

Good grief, I have just googled 'the Oakville teacher'.   Is this actually true?  Think I'd be removing my children from that school to be honest.  I'm all for people being who they want to be but this is just ridiculous!
(and wrong and worrying).
 :o

jaypo

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2022, 03:08:53 PM »

Good grief,just looked it up too holidaylover,they would take someone's eye out  :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2022, 03:40:05 PM »

Criky - women with breasts those sizes would be asking for surgical intervention due to such a weight causing back/knee pains  ::).  Shows men have no idea how large breast might impact !

C.C.

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2022, 04:31:43 PM »

I think that's a bit over the top...just call it a gingerbread cookie if "man" is an issue.

So at work, we cannot refer to the children as "boys and girls", they must be addressed as 'friends".  Being the generation I am, saying boys and girls when calling children was what I grew up with and used all my life. Now we are being asked to be considerate of any children in the program that don't identify as either or as opposite. I work with ages 7-11 years and in all the time I have worked there, no child has ever had a gender issue that I was aware of. 
Manhole covers are now called maintenance holes or access holes...come on. Who would be offended by that in the first place?

What's this about the Oakville teacher?

Ju Ju

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2022, 04:37:41 PM »

I’m all for being what you feel is right. I love being me, a woman! I shall continue being referred to as she/her! So there!  ::)

I remember being told told I shouldn’t call a blackboard a blackboard, when I was a teacher. Instead, it was to be called a chalk board. Then whiteboards were introduced. I queried whether we were allowed to call them whiteboards and was told I was being silly! My conclusion was that black people were judged to be sensitive and white people not! And I thought I was just describing the colour.  ::)

C.C.

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2022, 05:04:23 PM »

Good grief, I have just googled 'the Oakville teacher'.   Is this actually true?  Think I'd be removing my children from that school to be honest.  I'm all for people being who they want to be but this is just ridiculous!

Ok, I found the article...this in is my hometown and it's the first I've heard of it.

jaypo

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2022, 06:13:16 PM »

That infuriates me,you can't call them boys and girls? But THAT is exactly what they are,children are going to grow up so confused,I'll be a girl today but think I'll be a boy tomorrow.....absolute twoddle  >:(

getting_old

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2022, 06:14:48 PM »

Agree. At first I thought it was a joke too, and I'd definitely remove my kids from this school. You see reports about kids being sent home from school because they aren't wearing appropriate clothing, and I remember how we had uniform checks at our school, yet it seems they don't have standards for teachers? What sort of message does it send?
Also, what about health and safety?

getting_old

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2022, 06:22:49 PM »

I think that's a bit over the top...just call it a gingerbread cookie if "man" is an issue.

So at work, we cannot refer to the children as "boys and girls", they must be addressed as 'friends".  Being the generation I am, saying boys and girls when calling children was what I grew up with and used all my life. Now we are being asked to be considerate of any children in the program that don't identify as either or as opposite. I work with ages 7-11 years and in all the time I have worked there, no child has ever had a gender issue that I was aware of. 
Manhole covers are now called maintenance holes or access holes...come on. Who would be offended by that in the first place?

It must be a complete nightmare for you.

Children aren't supposed to be a teacher's friends! They are children and the teacher is an adult. It's that whole thing about parents being parents, and not their child's friend. My worry is that teaching children that adults are their friends could lead to all sort of problems. There are enough issues with children being groomed online by adults pretending to be children without making them view every adult as their friend. I remember all those ads when I was young about not trusting strangers, not getting into a car with someone you didn't know, etc, and now this is saying every adult is your friend   >:(

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2022, 06:56:27 PM »

Well said Girls  8)

jaypo

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2022, 07:14:43 PM »

The world has gone truly mad ladies,sorry,persons  ;D

C.C.

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2022, 07:45:14 PM »

It must be a complete nightmare for you.

Children aren't supposed to be a teacher's friends! They are children and the teacher is an adult. It's that whole thing about parents being parents, and not their child's friend. My worry is that teaching children that adults are their friends could lead to all sort of problems. There are enough issues with children being groomed online by adults pretending to be children without making them view every adult as their friend. I remember all those ads when I was young about not trusting strangers, not getting into a car with someone you didn't know, etc, and now this is saying every adult is your friend   >:(

I believe the use of "friends" was directed more toward the children being a group of friends, we are more like mentors, play partners, role models etc. rather than friends.  The program is about children interacting with other children and initiating play, we just facilitate it. I don't consider any of the kids as a friend, really.
It's also difficult to get used and I often catch myself saying boys or girls or boys and girls and I feel rather awkward when I correct myself, same as my co-worker.

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2022, 07:48:14 PM »

I would stick to what I know!   Kids know usually what they are.  Confusion reigns? 

jaypo

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2022, 08:09:00 PM »

But they ARE boys and girls,all children are going to be super confused,it'll be a case of.....which sex will I be today,even writing this I'm thinking....has everyone REALLY gone mad? :-\

Marchlove

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2022, 08:37:49 PM »

That’s just the point CC, if you’re able don’t correct yourself.
Of course people  who are working have to safeguard their jobs, that’s completely understandable, but those of us who no longer work are far more able to speak out and we should in what ever way we can on your behalf.
That’s the way I look at it.
Quite honestly it makes me feel sick!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34