Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Utrogestan intolerance. I need help  (Read 4193 times)

Perinowpost

Re: Utrogestan intolerance. I need help
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 04:03:24 PM »

Molydolly good for you getting it on the nhs. I’ve a feeling I’ll have to pay if I decide to go down that route as I don’t have any issues except prog intolerance.

MaryG is right when she says utrogestan is the most discussed topic on here. It’s just too strong, a sledgehammer to crack a nut approach.

Liza_Oz you could work your way one by one through the suggestions you’ve listed. The only problem with this is it is time consuming and there’s no guarantee you’ll feel well while doing it. If I were you though I wouldn’t go for the mirena. I say this as someone who trialled it for 6 months and still had to have it removed for intolerance.

They say utrogestan is the gold standard as it is the only body identical prog on the nhs. But so are cyclogest and Lutigest. I have tried cyclogest as you can buy it here over the counter in Spain were I live. Unfortunately, I didn’t like it. I have just trialled Lutigest which I had to obtain on private prescription. I will report what I think once I’ve gone through withdrawals (often the worst part with prog) x

Lisa_Oz

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2022, 05:23:09 PM »

Thank you Mary, Wren and Peri. It helps me so much speaking to those that understand.  My older sister has almost zero menopausal symptoms so although she tries, I know she thinks I should just be able to cope without any meds.

Peri please do update us as to how you do. I really hope it’s successful. 

Mary thanks for bumping the post. I will have a read through.

Ok so I will try the cream when it arrives. 🤞🤞🤞🤞 it works.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 05:24:42 PM by Lisa_Oz »

Mary G

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2022, 06:52:21 PM »

Lisa, good luck with the cream and please come back and let us know how you get on.

Marchlove

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2022, 08:02:30 PM »

I agree with the other lovely ladies Lisa. Progesterone cream was the first thing I could tolerate, not straight away but I can now, so definitely give it a whirl.

Mx

Lisa_Oz

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2022, 09:43:16 PM »

Ahhh, thank you March. There are so few positive posts on BHRT creams so it is great to hear it works for you. Mine will be a combo of progesterone and estrogen. Already I’m worrying about what ifs (I’m so very good at worrying!)

What if I need more estrogen…can I add my Estrogel? I will be due for blood tests after I have been on for some time, which I know can be unreliable). I’m hoping I can email the prescribing dr with that question if needed, without having to pay again!

Lisa_Oz

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2022, 03:54:49 PM »

Hi Molly

Thanks. Today is better. xx

It definitely makes it hard. I’m sorry you felt the same. Someone recently posted it felt like they were taking poison on the Utrogestan days and that is exactly how I feel. I was really hoping I could at least make it to day 7 but I will not try that again. It was too scary.

If this cream does not work, I really don’t know what I will do. I’m currently feeling ok (not great) on my 1 pump of Oestrogel, which really makes me think this is a hormonal mood issue which won’t be helped by upping or changing my antidepressant. 

I may have to consider hysterectomy like you did though I know it is a big decision. I’m so pleased it worked for you.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 04:18:34 PM by Lisa_Oz »

Lisa_Oz

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2022, 08:26:21 PM »

Hi Molly. It’s a thought but I think I am soooo sensitive to both Oestrogel and Utrogestan.  Yesterday, I accidentally used two pumps of Oestrogel (my old dose)  :o I guess due to brain fog. I felt jittery and anxious the whole day and night. So upping the dose may not work. But maybe a switch to patches would be warranted. 

I guess I should try all options before considering a hysterectomy.  My mom had one at 54. She passed away this past February.  I just asked my dad why she had it and he had no idea. I think it just wasn’t talked about at all. I’m 52 so I wonder if part of the reason was mood fluctuations

Thank you Molly and everyone else here who has taken the time to post. I genuinely thought I was going crazy and even though I am still worried I won’t ever get back to who I was before it helps having you lovely ladies to listen

Armadillo

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2022, 07:26:27 AM »

Hello.

Just a note on cyclogest as it was mentioned above as to whether GP would / could prescribe.

I take cyclogest.. well took.. it isn't working for me. But anyway I have to get prescription from hospital Gynae ( phone appt) and collect from hospital pharmacy. My GP can't do it and I can't have it sent to my chemist. No idea if this is standard or an individual thing.. thankfully a neighbour works at hospital otherwise it's £80 taxi so she picks it up for me

Lisa_Oz

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2022, 08:54:57 AM »

Thanks Armadillo.

I didn’t think my GP would prescribe.  I’m feeling like my body won’t like any progesterone but I guess I have to keep trying…

Armadillo

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2022, 08:59:58 AM »

Holding your hand and nodding.

I dont have the answers.. i have tried so many different types now.. the cyclogest was least bad for me but still horrific.. your opening post had me nodding.

I am sat here waiting for my gynae to ring to see what my options are as i cant keep doing progesterone phases.. its a risk to life.. i know we need to protect our uterus and would really like my body to conform but progeseterone sensitivity is a big problem for some of us.

keep talking.. this forum is amazing.. my last progesterone phase people held my hand and helped me get through it.. complete strangers showing so much care.. hang in there

Kathleen

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2022, 11:06:07 AM »

Hello ladies.

Lisa_Oz - I have been using Cyclogest pessaries for a while, they were prescribed by Newson Health and I believe they are usually used in fertility treatment. I don't know if they are available from the GP but it may be worth asking.

The doctor at NH said I only needed a 100mcg dose but as the pessaries  contain 200mcg I was told to cut them in half.
 I recently needed to order some more and now it appears that the 200mcg version is out of stock. I spoke to NH and they sent me the 400mcg pessaries with the instruction to quarter them! 

If you want to try Cyclogest but the available pessary dose is too high you could follow the advice given to me and reduce the dose by cutting them.

I hope this helps you and take care.

K.

Mary G

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2022, 12:28:48 PM »

Armadillo, what dose of Cyclogest do you take?   This is very important because it will make a huge difference as to how will you tolerate it.   If you take it in high doses, it's unlikely to be much better than Utrogestan.

Kathleen, it's interesting that Newson Health supply Cyclogest but do you have to take 100mg every day?  You would probably feel much better on a lower dose ie 50mg.

When I switched from a cycle to continuous combined HRT, I did a quick calculation and worked out that I was using far more progesterone by taking 50mg every day (18,250 mg per annum) than on a 7 x 100 mg cycle (8,400 mg per annum).  I cheated like mad on the cycle and probably took half that amount.   Even if you doubled the 7 day progesterone and took 100mg for 14 days each month (16,800 mg per annum) that would still take you below my 50mg every day.

I have found that 50mg progesterone has no side effects.

Lisa_Oz

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2022, 04:01:29 PM »

Thank you Kathleen and Mary

If my cream doesn’t work then I will ask the clinic about Cyclogest and see if I tolerate 50 mg.

I am very thankful to have you all here to listen to me and give advise. I’m an American living in the UK, so I think Thanksgiving is on my mind!

Wrensong

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2022, 05:46:24 PM »

It's good to have you with us Lisa_Oz.  Keep posting & please don't be alone with any worries, that's what the forum is for.  :hug:

discogirl

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2022, 05:53:02 PM »

Armadillo, what dose of Cyclogest do you take?   This is very important because it will make a huge difference as to how will you tolerate it.   If you take it in high doses, it's unlikely to be much better than Utrogestan.

Kathleen, it's interesting that Newson Health supply Cyclogest but do you have to take 100mg every day?  You would probably feel much better on a lower dose ie 50mg.

When I switched from a cycle to continuous combined HRT, I did a quick calculation and worked out that I was using far more progesterone by taking 50mg every day (18,250 mg per annum) than on a 7 x 100 mg cycle (8,400 mg per annum).  I cheated like mad on the cycle and probably took half that amount.   Even if you doubled the 7 day progesterone and took 100mg for 14 days each month (16,800 mg per annum) that would still take you below my 50mg every day.

I have found that 50mg progesterone has no side effects.

Hi MaryG

sorry to jump in, I take utro vaginally 100g just wondered how you take 50g since 100g is the lowest dose.

Do you take it every other day?

Thanks so much xx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4