Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello and help gratefully appreciated - electric surges on trying to sleep  (Read 1375 times)

ginnyw

• First Flush

Hello everyone. It's good to be on here. I'm new and seeking to hear from anybody who has the same experience that I'm currently battling with. And it IS a battle. Strong electric abdominal surges on the point of falling asleep, followed by an intense tremor which leaves me wide awake. This can go on all night. It started 10 weeks ago when I was on the Everol patches so GP has put me on two pumps of estrogel per night plus one tablet of progesterone. I'm four weeks in and things are just as bad as ever. Does anybody have a story of hope - does this settle down?

Penguin

Estrogel at night keeps me awake, have you tried putting it on in the morning or splitting the dose into am/pm?

Magnesium glycinate is also good in the evening to relax you. Have you tried things to calm down/unwind before bed?

jaypo

Sounds like you're having adrenaline/cortisol rushes,sorry,can't advise on HRT (not on it) but it could take time for your new regime to kick in,I agree with penguin re the magnesium  :)

ginnyw

• First Flush

Estrogel at night keeps me awake, have you tried putting it on in the morning or splitting the dose into am/pm?

Magnesium glycinate is also good in the evening to relax you. Have you tried things to calm down/unwind before bed?

I do appreciate your reply - thank you. Had another night of being completely awake and am miserable. I've tried Magnesium and have a good sleep hygiene routine established. GP told me to use both pumps of gel at night so I'm currently doing that, but I will have to go and see her again I think.

ginnyw

• First Flush

Sounds like you're having adrenaline/cortisol rushes,sorry,can't advise on HRT (not on it) but it could take time for your new regime to kick in,I agree with penguin re the magnesium  :)
Thanks for your reply - yes, I know I need to be patient but as everyone on here will know so well, it's hard to wait for months when you're having endless crappy nights - I will give it time though. Also going to try acupuncture as that's a good thing to rebalance the central nervous system.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Morning.  MayB the dose is too high too soon?  The body doesn't get where it is suddenly unless there has been surgical intervention.  Perhaps miss a dose to see how you feel?  Then add 1 the next time?  It can be Trial and Error to find a regime that suits.

Why did U decide on replacement therapy?   Many find the progesterone part of treatment difficult.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to keep track.  Let us know how you get on.

ginnyw

• First Flush

Morning.  MayB the dose is too high too soon?  The body doesn't get where it is suddenly unless there has been surgical intervention.  Perhaps miss a dose to see how you feel?  Then add 1 the next time?  It can be Trial and Error to find a regime that suits.

Why did U decide on replacement therapy?   Many find the progesterone part of treatment difficult.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to keep track.  Let us know how you get on.
Hi, and thanks for your reply. I've been on HRT for about 7 years to help with the sleep-related difficulties of menopause. Was very happy on the patch but then started to get a return of symptoms (breast tenderness) along with these new 'whoosh' feelings in stomach on trying to fall asleep so GP switched me to gel and tablet. I agree with you that it can be trial and error and I'm not quite 5 weeks in yet, which I know is early days.