Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: still not sleeping  (Read 2909 times)

discogirl

still not sleeping
« on: October 30, 2022, 08:39:19 AM »

I'm still having awful problems with sleeping.

I know I need to give the patches time, I was on 37.5 for just over a month then last saturday increased to 50mcg.

But i'm desperate for my sleep to be sorted. Its not actually being able to get to sleep in the first place.

I have no hot flushes or night sweats anymore, but although I'm tired my mind just won't stop, it feels wired, not actually worries about anything.

Problem is all this anxiety/ sleep issues started the same time as I developed tinnitus, now my tinnitus doesn't bother me anymore but my sleep is still very poor and I used to always sleep well.

Im worried about increasing my estrogen too soon, as I understand the problems associated with increasing too soon, but i really don't think I can continue this for another 3 months

I'm beginning to wonder if my sleep issues are even menopausal related now x

Minusminnie

Re: still not sleeping
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 08:46:03 AM »

Would it help to ask your GP for a short term stronger sleeping pill to try and break the sleepless pattern ? ...sleep is so important.

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 08:49:02 AM »

hi minusminnie

thanks for your reply.

i realky dont want to go down the sleeping pills issue as they usually just mask the problem and sometimes makes it worse.

thanks so much for the reply though i appreciate it x

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 08:49:45 AM »

Hi unfortunately it’s a waiting game. Sleep is usually one of the last things to be alleviated. I’ve been there and I know exactly what you mean about feeling wired . It’s not a nice feeling.

I think you’ve not been on a high enough dose to give you optimum benefits . Give the 50 patch a month and if there are no improvements I would move to 75. I’d been on hrt for 7 months before my sleep improved. Once I was on the right type and dose, my sleep improved in a month.

People kept telling me that hrt is not a quick fix and they were right. But it does work wonderfully (for me ) .

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 08:52:05 AM »

thanks dotty.

i keep reading your message you sent me.

thanks for your continuing support x

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 08:57:05 AM »

Hi unfortunately it’s a waiting game. Sleep is usually one of the last things to be alleviated. I’ve been there and I know exactly what you mean about feeling wired . It’s not a nice feeling.

I think you’ve not been on a high enough dose to give you optimum benefits . Give the 50 patch a month and if there are no improvements I would move to 75. I’d been on hrt for 7 months before my sleep improved. Once I was on the right type and dose, my sleep improved in a month.

People kept telling me that hrt is not a quick fix and they were right. But it does work wonderfully (for me ) .

you know as well dotty its almost as though ive forgotten how to sleep.

can i ask dotty my lack of sleep isnt related to hot flushes or sweats mine is not being able to fall asleep in the first place.

what were your problems with sleeping dotty xx

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2022, 09:33:01 AM »

Hi I went to bed tired and then couldn’t go to sleep. Would lie awake for hours. Then if I did go to sleep, I’d wake after half an hour.

At my worst, my sleep was horrendous. I can’t even explain it. I felt like I was on constant high alert, like adrenaline was constantly on. It was frightening and horrible.

Once I started sleeping I realised that I probably had t slept right for years.

I kept a diary which helped me to see if I was improving. The diary shows I was up and down with sleep until it settled.

I tried everything….all the herbal remedies, and the Nytol with the sleep aid in it. I did all the sleep hygiene stuff and tried hypnosis and meditation. Nothing worked till I was on 4 pumps of Oestrogel. x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2022, 09:33:32 AM »

I am sorry to hear you are not sleeping Discogirl. It is awful not to sleep and I feel everything feels so much worse and more difficult without decent sleep. It is a pity you cannot nap in the afternoon to catch up.

Patience is so difficult when we struggle. I believe your body needs time to adjust to the new oestrogen levels. I know that is no help when you desperately need to sleep now. I am thinking of you.

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2022, 09:38:44 AM »

thank you so much flossieteacake i appreciate you being here for me xxxx

Marchlove

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2022, 09:46:00 AM »

Hi discogirl

Sorry to hear that you’re still having sleep issues.

I wonder if you should try switching your 100mg Utro back to the evening?
I know you didn’t find it helpful that way before, but sometimes things change and it might be worth giving it another go perhaps.

M x

Nik2502

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2022, 01:52:31 PM »

Hi

Have you tried magnesium glycinate? It really helped me.

Nik xx

discogirl

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 02:22:39 PM »

Hi discogirl

Sorry to hear that you’re still having sleep issues.

I wonder if you should try switching your 100mg Utro back to the evening?
I know you didn’t find it helpful that way before, but sometimes things change and it might be worth giving it another go perhaps.

M x

Hi marchlove,

I could try the utro at night, I use it PV,

I suppose I'm scared of it disturbing  my sleep and scared of changing something again, but you know what it's worth a go xx

Do you literally take it as you get into bed, as once I'm in bed I usually need to get up after about 15 mins to pee again, but that won't necessarily make the utro come out will it xx

discogirl

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2022, 02:23:33 PM »

Hi

Have you tried magnesium glycinate? It really helped me.

Nik xx

Hi Nik 2502

Yes I use magnesium bis-glycinate I take 2 just before bed xx

Marchlove

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2022, 02:54:24 PM »

Hi discogirl

I don’t know the answer to that I’m afraid.
Could you not wait until after the pee and then insert it?

The other thing you could try is taking the magnesium earlier, say after supper or 2/3 hours before bed.
Perhaps try this first and see how you get on.

Mx

discogirl

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2022, 02:57:11 PM »

Hi Marchlove,

Yes I could try taking the magnesium earlier.

Thing is the utro, is that many women on here finds that it disturbs their sleep, so not sure if taking it before bed would work, as I take it in the mornings already, it doesn't sedate me, so I was figuring that taking it at night wouldn't change anything. (I mean if it doesn't sedate me in the mornings, it wouldn't sedate me at night)

I was thinking of stopping the utro for a week to see if my sleep improves just to see if it's that x

I just feel it's all a minefield. Its either, my estroge is low and it hasn't built up sufficiently, or I'm not absorbing the estrogen through the patches or the utro is affecting my sleep, but I don't know which x
Pages: [1] 2 3