Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Folic acid in flour  (Read 1569 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Folic acid in flour
« on: October 21, 2022, 07:13:11 PM »

Apparently the move will be, in order to protect women prior to getting pregnant, that Folic Acid (VitB 12) will be added to baking flour.

My worry is: a) it's forcing medication into the population and b) those on old fashioned antidepressant medications may well be in danger.  When Dad was prescribed Lithium and other Inhibitors he had to avoid: cheese, broad beans, Chianti, bananas - anything with VitB 12 in, including Marmite and Bovril. 

Why are women being advised to add Folic Acid, is there more aneamia in the general populace than in 'my day'?  How many of these women are vegetarian/vegan ....... how many have been anorexic?  Why should others be potentially put at risk for a small part of the population?

Marchlove

Re: Folic acid in flour
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 07:51:42 PM »

Folic acid is not vitamin B12 CLKD, people do get a bit confused about this.

It’s vitamin B9, which is in fact folate, which is what pregnant women should be having rather than folic acid.

I agree, that these things should not be added wholesale to regular food items such as bread. We have to supplement according to individual circumstances so that more harm than good can potentially  be avoided.

Also, we should be informed regularly about when this is happening and who decided such intervention!

My body after all.

Mx

Minusminnie

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 08:07:40 PM »

I've just found this https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/adding-folic-acid-to-flour/proposal-to-add-folic-acid-to-flour-consultation-document

My understanding is that most foods are okay when taking Lithium but advisory to avoid anything caffeinated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 08:54:30 PM »

Tnx. 

Folic acid is not suitable for some people. To make sure it's safe for you, tell your doctor before starting to take folic acid if you:

have ever had an allergic reaction to folic acid or any other medicine
have low vitamin B12 levels (vitamin B12 deficiency anaemia) or pernicious anaemia
have cancer (unless you also have folate deficiency anaemia)
are having a type of kidney dialysis called haemodialysis 
have a stent in your heart

I can't find evidence of why women might be low in folic acid ........ other than those 'in deprived areas'. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 08:56:07 PM by CLKD »

Marchlove

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 08:59:16 PM »

Good link Minusminnie

If  folic acid(which is not folate) is added to bread, what compensatory B12 will be added?

We can supplement ourselves when needed.

Nothing needs to be added. We just need good quality nutritional food.

X

getting_old

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 06:10:03 PM »

Tnx. 

Folic acid is not suitable for some people. To make sure it's safe for you, tell your doctor before starting to take folic acid if you:

have ever had an allergic reaction to folic acid or any other medicine
have low vitamin B12 levels (vitamin B12 deficiency anaemia) or pernicious anaemia
have cancer (unless you also have folate deficiency anaemia)
are having a type of kidney dialysis called haemodialysis 
have a stent in your heart

I can't find evidence of why women might be low in folic acid ........ other than those 'in deprived areas'.

What's worrying is that a lot of people with those conditions may not realise that they are eating stuff which suddenly contains folic acid, and have a reaction.
Whilst folic acid may be beneficial to pregnant women they make up a very small percentage of the total population so it seems wrong to subject others to something that may cause them problems and provide them with zero benefits  >:(  especially when it's available for those who need it to take if they choose to.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 06:11:40 PM by getting_old »