Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newbie here...  (Read 1037 times)

JoWade

• First Flush
Newbie here...
« on: October 16, 2022, 01:26:10 PM »

Hello all,
Newbie here - trying to sift information about the menopause and share experiences.
I have the Mirena coil (due to be replaced next year) and have estrodril patches
Wondering whether to go cold turkey and stop everything ........

Flossieteacake

Re: Newbie here...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 01:36:50 PM »

Hello JoWade. Welcome to the forum. What is the reason you are thinking of going cold turkey?

JoWade

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 01:44:14 PM »

The patches really irritate my skin, and after not having periods for many years when I just had the mirena in, I now have regular painful periods back. GP says that's because I am having oestrogen. 
I am 53 now, started on HRT over three years ago.
How do I know when I am through it?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 01:55:34 PM »

The patches really irritate my skin, and after not having periods for many years when I just had the mirena in, I now have regular painful periods back. GP says that's because I am having oestrogen. 
I am 53 now, started on HRT over three years ago.

The glue on the patches can be irritating and sometimes people prefer to use gel instead. I am sorry the patches caused you to have painful periods. I am not aware oestrogen causes periods to return. I wonder if a different oestrogen type may be better for you but I understand you may prefer not to use any.

There is a post menopause section on here which you may find helpful. :)

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 04:05:41 PM »

If the patches are irritating, you could try spraying the area first with Beconase or an asthma inhaler, allow to dry and apply patch. Alternatively, you might prefer one of the gels (Oestrogel or Sandrena).
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 04:21:57 PM »

Hi!  If the Mirena is 'wearing out', could that be why you have periods?  If you are bleeding after a break, has your GP sent you for a scan of the womb to check lining?

Menopause - the last monthly period however; until we've been at least 12 months without a bleed, we don't really know  ::). Mother Nature can throw in a curved ball, i.e. one can miss lots of periods until 10/11 months then she decides that the ovaries should start again!  Don't panic though.  They do finish.  Eventually.

Gel mayB the way to go.  Which symptom do you want to ease first?  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

Let us know how you get on.

JoWade

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 06:48:05 PM »

Good suggestions and I have had issues with the coil wearing out before too when I think about it. I think I’ll ask about a new coil and gel as I definitely don’t want the anxiety etc back

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 07:01:38 PM »

Let us know!

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 07:21:05 PM »

Hi JoWade. The only way you can tell whether you are post menopausal is to stop all HRT for a while to see if you have a period.  If you are on oestrogen you have no way of knowing whether your periods are natural or merely bleeds caused by the HRT. Oestrogen doesn't cause actual periods to return.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

JoWade

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 03:13:33 PM »

That’s what I’m thinking, stop everything to see where I am at but I’m scared of being denied it back again.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 03:40:30 PM »

Is it worth risking symptoms on the off chance that you are into menopause?  Do U feel rushed into finding you?

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 06:37:50 AM »

You are never through it. Menopause is for the rest of your life and the advice now is that women can stay n HRT for the rest of their life if they want to. I can understand that out of curiosity you would like to know if your periods h
Is it worth risking symptoms on the off chance that you are into menopause?  Do U feel rushed into finding you?
ave stopped. I began HRT at 53 which was 15 years ago so have no idea when mine stopped. Is there any other reason you need to know where you are menopause-wise?

Taz x