Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Managing Mood Swings.  (Read 929 times)

Kathleen

Managing Mood Swings.
« on: September 23, 2022, 12:51:24 PM »

Hello ladies.

As usual I am here complaining about my mood swings and wondering what to do about them.

Most days I experience quivery/shaky feelings in my body which seem to travel down my right leg for some reason! I also feel very low and tearful.

These symptoms have frequently occurred since becoming post meno but they do often just stop and I feel much better and calmer.

To say that I hate this roller coaster moods is an understatement and I would love to know how to live with them!

I am now using one 100mcg  Sandrena gel and I was planning to lower it further but now I am afraid to. Having said that I was having the same issues on higher amounts of gel.

I can only think that I need mega doses of Oestrogen which I can't have due to bleeding problems or I just have to press on and hope that things resolve as suggested by my GP.

Any thoughts ladies on how I can manage these horrible symptoms?

I apologise for repeating myself constantly and you must all be fed up of my moaning by now. If this is a Meno symptom when can I hope it will go and how am I supposed to manage in the meantime?

This has been a bit of a rant I'm afraid so thank you for reading and I wish you all well.

K.

Flossieteacake

Re: Managing Mood Swings.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 01:03:59 PM »

Hello Kathleen. I am so sorry you are going through this. I understand it could be hormonal but I was wondering how you would feel about trying an antidepressant. For me they stop me from getting too low. I know they are not for everybody but just thought I would suggest it.

By the way, you did not rant. You just explained how you are feeling.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 01:29:49 PM »

Hello Flossieteacake and thank you for replying.

I should have said that I already take an AD called Venlafaxine also known as Effexor.

I assume it is helping but it was prescribed alongside HRT in 2013 so I can't work out how much difference it makes. I continued to take it when I had a break from all HRT in 2019 but my moods remained very changeable, infact it was the weird crying spells that made me give HRT another try.

I appreciate your suggestion and it does make sense however it is because I am on an AD that makes me think that my problem is mainly hormonal. If very high amounts of Oestrogen is needed to treat emotional symptoms but that level cannot be taken for other reasons what can we do? Maybe we just have to tough it out but it would help if there were some strategies that could help.

Thank you once again for your comments and I'm pleased that you didn't think that I was ranting lol.

Take care.

K.

Nik2502

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 01:43:35 PM »

Hi Kathleen
I’m currently experiencing the same symptoms. I’m very flat and tearful.
I’m also on Venlafaxine and have been for a long time but this doesn’t feel like clinical depression so I’m increasing my oestrogen a bit (100 patch plus 50 gel).
I wish I had the answer as to how to deal with the mood swings but you’re not alone.
It’s the most difficult symptom I’ve found to cope with. My poor hubby is frightened to even ask if I want a cuppa because he doesn’t know if I’ll cry or shout!
Here if you ever need a chat.

Nik x

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 01:44:28 PM »

Hi Kathleen

Really sorry to hear you still haven’t settled on your new regime. I was hoping for you that reducing testosterone might be the key.

I have no suggestions for you unfortunately, other than maybe changing your oestrogen or your progesterone. I know you have done this in the past, were there any you felt slightly better on? (I know it’s difficult to say when you’ve changed so many things).

The other option would be to change the amount of oestrogen you’re on, maybe it’s too much, just a thought.

And finally, maybe try changing your AD, it’s not an exact science I know and not without it’s difficulties withdrawing and introducing another, but just wondering if it’s not the right one for you.

Really hoping you find a solution soon, as I know you’ve had a long joy Let us know how you go on xx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 02:04:30 PM »

Hello Flossieteacake and thank you for replying.

I should have said that I already take an AD called Venlafaxine also known as Effexor.

I assume it is helping but it was prescribed alongside HRT in 2013 so I can't work out how much difference it makes. I continued to take it when I had a break from all HRT in 2019 but my moods remained very changeable, infact it was the weird crying spells that made me give HRT another try.

I appreciate your suggestion and it does make sense however it is because I am on an AD that makes me think that my problem is mainly hormonal. If very high amounts of Oestrogen is needed to treat emotional symptoms but that level cannot be taken for other reasons what can we do? Maybe we just have to tough it out but it would help if there were some strategies that could help.

Thank you once again for your comments and I'm pleased that you didn't think that I was ranting lol.

Take care.

K.

I used to take Venlaflaxine so I know it very well. If you can increase the dose then maybe that is worth a try but if not then I am so sorry you are in this pickle. It really is horrible. I know there are mood stabilisers but I am not sure if you want to go down that route.

Floo36

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 03:00:32 PM »

Hi Kathleen,

It may be that you need more Estrogen.  Perhaps you are not absorbing much of the Sandrena and need a higher dose or a different type.  I think you said before that you had bloods done but not since being on Sandrena but I don’t come on too often so may have got that wrong.  Those symptoms for my are of low Estrogen. 

We do all absorb substantially differently, I barely absorb anything by any method. As you are post meno bloods may help but really symptoms are key.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 05:05:39 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Nik2502 - I know what you mean as I have had similar moods in the past. Thankfully the anger has lessened now so I am a bit easier to live with lol. These days I am always telling my husband to be nice to me or I will burst into tears!
 Is your current regime a 100 patch and 50 gel? Will you be increasing the gel?
I wish you luck with your experiment. My maximum was three 100 sachets of Sandrena which I think is equivalent to six pumps of gel
Thank you for the offer of a chat and I may take you up on the that.

Perinowpost -  You are right in that I have been trying to fix this for a long time, it's frustrating because all my previous symptoms have settled but I am stuck on this one.
I was going to wait for my next Meno clinic appointment before I changed anything else but I may try and bring that forward, I will also ask my GP about a different AD. Many thanks for your suggestions.

Flossieteacake - I think mood stabilisers might be something to ask my GP. As I said I do have my good days, or good parts of days but I never seem to progress beyond that so a rethink is necessary. Thank you for your help.

Floo36 - you are right in saying that my previous blood tests were before I switched to Sandrena. I was using Oestrogel at the time and I suppose I assumed that I absorb all gels equally but maybe not.  I remember that my highest reading on Oestrogel was 600 and I still had some mood swings even on that level. I imagine I am way below that figure now. Many thanks for your comments.

Once again ladies you have given me excellent advice and food for thought.
I am beyond grateful and I thank you all.

Take care everyone.

K.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 05:41:01 PM »

You are so welcome. I hope your DR appointment goes well.

Floo36

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 12:09:06 PM »

It may be worth going back to the estrogel as you may not absorb the Sandrena as well.  It is so much trial and error, it’s mind blowing how we are all so different in what we absorb. 

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 06:29:26 PM »

Hello at ladies.

Flossieteacake - I will try to get a Drs appointment asap.

Floo36 - I still have a few pumps of Oestrogel somewhere so I may dig them out!

Thank you again ladies, I truly value your comments and kind words.

Wishing you all well.

K.