Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: dry eyes / sinusitis - affecting vision and health  (Read 2909 times)

ange63

Re: dry eyes / sinusitis - affecting vision and health
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2022, 11:14:52 AM »

Thank you Wrensong...   that's a lot to take in and not sure conclusions give any clarity.     But all information is useful.     I assume you are on HRT regime with added testosterone or do you have something topical for the dry eye ..      tnx x

Wrensong

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2022, 11:57:07 AM »

Yes, agreed ange63 - as so often with endocrine articles, it's long & complex & frustratingly it seems more research is needed.  I am on HRT yes, currently off testosterone & feel its lack in terms of the dryness.  Been on prescription eye drops of one kind or another for around 30 years.  Ophthalmologists have stressed the importance of keeping the eyes lubricated to prevent further probs developing & I find the drops do help.
Wx

sophielee

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2022, 11:10:48 PM »

hello wrensong,

i've posted here about dry eyes a couple of years ago. Mine came on suddenly while I was in peri-menopause. My eyes were so dry I could feel the air on my eyeballs as I walked around. They were sore and irritated and i only got relief when showering, and when I went to sleep.

I was beside myself with worry, wondering if I would have to quit my job as it hurt to look at a computer for any length of time, let alone 8 hours a day.

I went to an Opthalmologist. She recommended I do warm compresses twice a day to warm up the oil in the meibomian glands. She also said to put in eye drops every hour for the first day, then every 2 hours for the 2nd, etc etc until I find a schedule that makes my eyes comfortable.

After a while, i think 4 to 5 months, the dryness abated.

This happened to me again earlier this year in January. I re-started the program, and again, the dryness abated. It's not completely gone but I am much better. I think the hormones played a role.   

I hope you are feeling better.

ange63

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2022, 07:01:39 AM »

Thank you all.     My 3rd attempt at HRT didn't work out either so I'm sticking with regime of frequent eye drops throughout day, protecting eyes with sun glasses and a rimmed hat.     Will try more frequent warm compresses to see if that helps things.    Wishing you all well. x

Wrensong

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2022, 06:43:25 PM »

Hi sophielee, sorry to know you too have had dry, sore eyes.  I've used the warm compresses too - also recommended by Ophthalmology - but found they blurred my vision badly for half an hour or so afterwards, which is a nuisance.  Also felt as if they were frying my eyeballs  ;D  I think the Meibomian glands may be too far gone in my case, but the drops really help & I make sure to apply them frequently throughout the day & in the small hours if I wake & my eyes are very dry.

I'm glad to know regular use of the compresses is effective for you.

I agree that hormones are very likely implicated & research seems to back that up.  What it is to be a woman eh? ::) ;D

Hello ange63.  Sorry to know you've not had much luck with HRT.  It certainly can be hard to get right & doesn't suit everyone.
Sounds as though you're doing all the right things for your eyes & I hope everything goes well for you.
Wx
Pages: 1 [2]