Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bleeding twice a month??  (Read 1147 times)

Bandango42

Bleeding twice a month??
« on: August 09, 2022, 02:45:38 PM »

Hi everyone
I hope someone can help or advise. I'm currently on evorel 25 patches and utrogestan 200mg for 12 days of every month. In addition to the bleed I get at the end of the 12 days, I'm having a period after 2 weeks of just oestrogen. So 2 a month. I'm guessing this is my own cycle. I'm in a long distance relationship and the bleeding annoyingly is falling on the days I see my partner, who point blank refuses to have sex while I'm bleeding. So it's destroying my sex life and affecting us. Is there anyway around this? Could I suspend and re-start the progesterone so it becomes aligned with my natural cycle? Or would that cause issues do you think? Thanks in advance x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bleeding twice a month??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 02:52:12 PM »

How do you feel on the regime?  If it works ............   I suspect that your natural cycle is breaking through too.  Any info in the leaflet in the box?

Time to investigate other methods of bed time activity ;-)  :vibe:  .........

Bandango42

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 02:56:41 PM »

Hi

I feel ok, not a massive difference if I'm honest. I'm sleeping better and my mood is very, very slowly calming I think. I hear you regarding bedroom activities but honestly we've only been together 3 years, I don't want to have to give up my sex life just yet! I'm thinking if I could just adjust the progesterone timing a little I could solve the 2 periods a month problem but I'm not sure if that would work. The leaflet just says you'll get a bleed at the end of the 12 days, says nothing about natural periods.

Gilla999

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 03:41:29 PM »

I have always synced my Utrogestan with my natural cycle. I'm able to do this because I'm still ovulating regularly, so I test for ovulation each month with the sticks and then take my Utro for 12 days, so the Utro ties in with when my body would naturally be having Progesterone. Of course if you're not ovulating regularly then that's not as great an idea because it could be a while until you ovulate and the lining could in theory build up over that time. But if you're having a breakthrough bleed each month then it sounds like you potentially are still ovulating regularly and doing it this way could be an option for you too?

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 04:49:36 PM »

I would try to get the 2 cycles back in step. Start counting again with day 1 the first day of your own bleed. I've been in this situation too, it's a pain (trying to fit my natural 6 week cycle into a 4 week hrt one just doesn't work).

Bandango42

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 06:59:08 PM »

Thanks ladies. No idea if I'm ovulating, before I started hrt I hadn't had a period for 3 months. I could use those sticks to confirm though. I may try to sync the utro then, that sounds the most logical thing to do. No idea how I'll do it though, my cognitive brain function is terrible at the moment 😂 haven't a clue what day of the week it is never mind what day of my cycle/utro I'm on 🤦‍♀️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 07:26:14 PM »

U won't be giving up on your sex life  ;) but approaching it in different ways. 

Gilla999

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 07:44:40 PM »

If it's useful you could download a free App like Clue to track your periods on. So as Sheila suggested day 1 of your own bleed is Day 1. Based on a 28 day cycle ovulation is usually around day 14 (as it is for me) and I start testing from day 12 onwards - I use the CLear Blue sticks that tell you both when you get the LH surge AND when your Estrogen level is rising, which is the "pre" ovulation so you know it's about to happen.

I completely realise this is not standard practice though - in fact I've never heard of/met another woman yet who does this like me - but perhaps there aren't many of us who needed HRT (Estrogen part) when their periods were still regular. I chose to do it this way with the Utro as taking it at other times in my cycle messed things up and caused me side effects, but clearly once I stop ovulating regularly I'll have to deal with that like all other women on HRT in peri have to!

I do wonder though... if you hadn't had a period for 3 months prior to starting HRT whether it can really be a true period you're getting every month now? Again I guess testing for ovulation would help you to discover that - and if it isn't, perhaps it's something related to the HRT and just another withdrawal bleed? Just thinking out loud!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 07:46:14 PM by Gilla999 »

Bandango42

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 05:24:28 PM »

So... I've just come on again, the day before I'm supposed to start the utro for 12 days 😤. The exact same time as the past 2 months. Which means, again, I'll be having 2 periods this month. Can I delay my utro this month and start taking it 12 days before I come on (naturally) again next month? My hope would be that it would then align with what I'm assuming is my natural cycle. Would that cause any problems or side effects? Sorry for all the questions, to be honest I don't really understand the science behind hrt that well!

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 06:19:50 PM »

I would call today day 1 (assuming it's a proper bleed?) and take utro days 15-26. And keep your fingers crossed :)

joziel

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 11:13:04 PM »

Bandango you might want to get the book by Lara Briden called 'Hormone Repair Manual' (the one for the over 40s). She talks about using utrogestan to support the luteal phase and how to do that. There is another link on this *non-commercial* site here: https://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/resources/cyclic-progesterone-therapy  Take a look at the diagrams there and when to take it in relation to bleeding.

Bandango42

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 05:39:12 AM »

Joziel - that is really, really useful. Thank you so much! Hopefully that will work and I go back to 1 period a month. So annoying this peri crap, gone from no periods to 2 a month 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

mandss

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 08:35:04 AM »

Very interesting reading this as I do not know if I am still peri or post. But  I have been bleeding every 8 days for 4 months now. I am on evorel conti patch, and have also started testing with the ovulation sticks to see if I am surging or not. So far not but still bleeding. Will continue for a month to try and get a true picture before going back to the GP

Bandango42

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2022, 02:08:20 PM »

Every 8 days?? I feel for you. I hate periods, and everything that goes with them, always have done. I was soooo happy when mine stopped, proper bragged to my friends who were still having them! Karma's a bitch, isn't it?! 😂 It really makes me think twice about continuing with HRT, I don't know what's worse.... feeling rubbish and not bleeding or feeling OK and bleeding all the bloody time.