Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What have you found is the best Weight loss plan since hitting peri/menopause?  (Read 11450 times)

Suzysheep

Anxiety… that’s what has been the only thing to help me loose weight… crippling anxiety! Wouldn’t recommend it though!  ;)

VictoryV

I fancy doing C25k. Had hysterectomy in June, just waiting on pelvic floor physio to give me go ahead to start running mid October. Does the programme involve running straight away?
Hi Gnatty, that’s great! I hope the physio says yes. C25K does involve running straight away BUT for short periods, I think it might be 60 seconds, and at your own pace.
It’d be great to have a virtual running buddy! Please let me know if you start. I’m doing it with a puppy so won’t be doing it as quickly as the suggested 9 weeks as I think it’ll be too much.

Gnatty

Hi VictoryV, Physio will say yes, she just wanted me to do a few exercises every day to build up strength in abdominals and pelvic floor first. So am expecting green light soon. Are you going to use the App?

VictoryV

That’s brilliant, good on you! Yes I’ve got the app on my phone.

LadyCC

Hi.
LadyCC - Sounds like you’ve been through the mill with hormones and know your body pretty well. I totally understand the mental health risk, that’s my biggest fear as it pulls confidence down fast. Good luck on the job front.

I’m holding on to the weight I am now but I don’t like it and I’m struggling. I feel hungry all the time and I can’t really be because I’ve not seriously increased activity. I’m craving everything that we know piles weight on.
I quit sugar a few weeks ago, I don’t feel good for it and I dream about guzzling jelly babies - I don’t even like jelly babies! So I’m starting on sugar again and I’m not omitting anything. I’m not counting calories but I am being careful with portion control. I don’t buy low fat stuff preferring less of full fat version.
The only diets that have worked for me are the ones that have few rules and encourage more activity. So fresh ingredients bought and trainers on feet. My goal is to do 20,000 steps a day, cook from scratch, not eat after 7pm. I’m giving this approach 7 days and expect to lose at least 2lbs, if I don’t lose 2lbs I’ll have a re-think. I’m weighing on day 7 only.

I’ll do C25K as it gets steps done quickly. If anybody fancies joining in please do!

Hey Victory V

Insulin resistance is an issue for me I think so I am looking for a programme that takes this in to consideration.  I also need strong structure but I dont think exclusion diets work long term - at least for me they dont but I am happy to moderate or minimise having those things that are not good for us.

I admire your resolve and approach in relation to your plan, not eating after a certain time makes sense and 20,000 steps is really getting you moving - do let me know how you get on. 

Ana21

Hi!

I've been low-carb for about 7 years.  It started as a one-month experiment to see whether eliminating processed and refined foods and reducing carbs (essentially eliminating all white foods except cauliflower) would reduce my inflammation.  I had suffered from joint pain since the age of 3, back pain and sciatic issues since my early teens, and aging wasn't improving my knee pain.  My father had type-2 diabetes so I was always very conscious of my carb intake and didn't want to follow the same path.

My husband agreed to participate in the experiment.  We purged the kitchen to prevent falling back into old habits.  There was nothing in the house we couldn't eat.  And so it began.  We both felt so good after the first 30 days that we extended the experiment to 3 months, and then 6 months, etc.

My husband lost 35-40 lbs.  He was a TOFI (thin outside/fat inside).  Before the weight loss, he was frequently asked how he managed to stay so trim.  He noticed an improvement in mood and energy levels, probably due to improved blood sugar regulation.  His job required him to work an occasional 12-hr night shift and the change in diet helped to ease the transition. 

I also lost weight without any effort or hunger and my body proportion changed.  It restored my waistline, which had been slowly starting to thicken in perimenopause.  I'm now 57 and have, so far, been able to maintain my waist.  Fun to rummage at the back of the closet and be able to wear the clothes I wore in my 30s.   More importantly, the diet reduced my inflammation and joint pain which allowed me to increase my exercise, have a more active lifestyle in general.  The inflammation had been exhausting and affected my mood, so this was life changing.  I have less joint pain now than I did in my 20s and 30s.  And I don't have to worry about becoming like my father and developing diabetes.  It's such a horrible disease.

I had attempted similar dietary changes several times when I was younger, but it was difficult  when I had to prepare different meals for my family.  In comparison, it was so easy when my husband and son signed on to the experiment. We don't think of it as a diet.  It's just food and it's just the way we eat.  We discovered that our sense of taste changed.  Many of the foods we once enjoyed no longer taste the way we remember them, so we don't feel deprived.

I still bake using almond, hazelnut, coconut flours, etc.  My husband loves organic lemon cheesecake with berries and an almond flour crust.  When I have to take a packed lunch, I'll make flax-based flatbread and pack a sandwich and muffin or something similar.  It looks like everyone else's lunch.  I occasionally make crepes using buckwheat flour.  We eat a lot of salads with homemade dressings.

It's a big adjustment but it's doable and sustainable.  As they say, the best diet is the one you can stick to.  I hope you find yours.  It can make a world of difference and improve the quality of your life.  Because diet (esp blood sugar) so greatly affects mood, it can not only improve how you feel but improve your relationships with others.  We're all more resilient and have a longer wick when we feel good and have lots of energy.

You may find this interesting.  It's the summary of a recent article published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition which argues the root causes of the obesity epidemic are more related to what we eat rather than how much we eat:

https://nutrition.org/scientists-claim-that-overeating-is-not-the-primary-cause-of-obesity/

If you're curious about keto, I'd recommend Gary Taubes book, The Case for Keto: Rethinking Weight Control and the Science and Practice of Low-Carb/High-Fat Eating.

Perinowpost

Good post Ana21

I’ve been doing low carb for a while and the pounds have dropped off. I’m not as disciplined as you and have to have occasional treats but am inspired to make healthy treats if I can source the healthy flour (here in Spain).

Can I ask do you allow alcohol?x

LadyCC

Hi!

I've been low-carb for about 7 years.  It started as a one-month experiment to see whether eliminating processed and refined foods and reducing carbs (essentially eliminating all white foods except cauliflower) would reduce my inflammation.  I had suffered from joint pain since the age of 3, back pain and sciatic issues since my early teens, and aging wasn't improving my knee pain.  My father had type-2 diabetes so I was always very conscious of my carb intake and didn't want to follow the same path.

My husband agreed to participate in the experiment.  We purged the kitchen to prevent falling back into old habits.  There was nothing in the house we couldn't eat.  And so it began.  We both felt so good after the first 30 days that we extended the experiment to 3 months, and then 6 months, etc.

My husband lost 35-40 lbs.  He was a TOFI (thin outside/fat inside).  Before the weight loss, he was frequently asked how he managed to stay so trim.  He noticed an improvement in mood and energy levels, probably due to improved blood sugar regulation.  His job required him to work an occasional 12-hr night shift and the change in diet helped to ease the transition. 

I also lost weight without any effort or hunger and my body proportion changed.  It restored my waistline, which had been slowly starting to thicken in perimenopause.  I'm now 57 and have, so far, been able to maintain my waist.  Fun to rummage at the back of the closet and be able to wear the clothes I wore in my 30s.   More importantly, the diet reduced my inflammation and joint pain which allowed me to increase my exercise, have a more active lifestyle in general.  The inflammation had been exhausting and affected my mood, so this was life changing.  I have less joint pain now than I did in my 20s and 30s.  And I don't have to worry about becoming like my father and developing diabetes.  It's such a horrible disease.

I had attempted similar dietary changes several times when I was younger, but it was difficult  when I had to prepare different meals for my family.  In comparison, it was so easy when my husband and son signed on to the experiment. We don't think of it as a diet.  It's just food and it's just the way we eat.  We discovered that our sense of taste changed.  Many of the foods we once enjoyed no longer taste the way we remember them, so we don't feel deprived.

I still bake using almond, hazelnut, coconut flours, etc.  My husband loves organic lemon cheesecake with berries and an almond flour crust.  When I have to take a packed lunch, I'll make flax-based flatbread and pack a sandwich and muffin or something similar.  It looks like everyone else's lunch.  I occasionally make crepes using buckwheat flour.  We eat a lot of salads with homemade dressings.

It's a big adjustment but it's doable and sustainable.  As they say, the best diet is the one you can stick to.  I hope you find yours.  It can make a world of difference and improve the quality of your life.  Because diet (esp blood sugar) so greatly affects mood, it can not only improve how you feel but improve your relationships with others.  We're all more resilient and have a longer wick when we feel good and have lots of energy.

You may find this interesting.  It's the summary of a recent article published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition which argues the root causes of the obesity epidemic are more related to what we eat rather than how much we eat:

https://nutrition.org/scientists-claim-that-overeating-is-not-the-primary-cause-of-obesity/

If you're curious about keto, I'd recommend Gary Taubes book, The Case for Keto: Rethinking Weight Control and the Science and Practice of Low-Carb/High-Fat Eating.

Hey Ana21

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.  I'm so pleased to hear that you have found something that works for you.  I myself have been following a no carb/very rare carb approach, even forgoing alcohol and unforunately, its not working for me at the moment.  Im going to get my hormones checked and as per my original post, am still looking for that elusive best approach.  I think my body needs a major shake up and shock - but quite what that looks like I am not sure yet.

Meanwhile I am sure lots of people who are struggling will be inspired by your post  ;D

Ana21

Perinowpost, my diet works for me because I don't have to be disciplined.  I hesitate to call it a "diet" because it's just a matter of my personal food choices, so it's easy.  I think it's how we eat 90% of the time that really matters, so I'm not a fanatic.   If a small child gives me a cookie or a candy, I'm going to eat it and enjoy it because life is too short to miss those special moments.  I rarely drink alcohol, not because I have anything against alcohol, but because it can trigger inflammation and joint pain.  But if someone really wants me to taste a particular wine or cocktail, I'll have a few sips.  I'll have a drink on special occasions for the joy of clinking glasses.

LadyCC, I hope you find your estrogen happy place.  I hope we all do.  It's such a struggle to find the right balance.  I haven't been absorbing the patch, so I've started oral estrogen this week.  Fortunately, I haven't experienced the anxiety that so often accompanies low estrogen.  I've been wondering whether I have my diet to thank for that.  Keep us posted on your journey.

Rosebush

• First Flush

I too try and cut down on carbs 'most days' and i can keep my weight down with exercise, which for me is just a long walk, any special occasion, meal at friends house etc we attend, i just eat what's on offer, but do still try and have a smaller portion if its carb loaded....so not a low diet as such just cut out were i can..

Nearer to my 90days holiday i do keep carbs really low and can lose 7lbs in 10-12days...

Lady CC sending you a huge this blooming menopause is horrible, i had no real weight issues until my periods stopped at 55 now 72  i am 1.5st heavier, i eat far less and move far more..xx

LadyCC

Perinowpost, my diet works for me because I don't have to be disciplined.  I hesitate to call it a "diet" because it's just a matter of my personal food choices, so it's easy.  I think it's how we eat 90% of the time that really matters, so I'm not a fanatic.   If a small child gives me a cookie or a candy, I'm going to eat it and enjoy it because life is too short to miss those special moments.  I rarely drink alcohol, not because I have anything against alcohol, but because it can trigger inflammation and joint pain.  But if someone really wants me to taste a particular wine or cocktail, I'll have a few sips.  I'll have a drink on special occasions for the joy of clinking glasses.

LadyCC, I hope you find your estrogen happy place.  I hope we all do.  It's such a struggle to find the right balance.  I haven't been absorbing the patch, so I've started oral estrogen this week.  Fortunately, I haven't experienced the anxiety that so often accompanies low estrogen.  I've been wondering whether I have my diet to thank for that.  Keep us posted on your journey.

Thanks for your well wishes Ana21,

Just had a blood test for hormones with a focus on oestrogen and progesterone so hope they are a revelation and can provide much needed answers!  Will let you know once I have had them back and have met with the Integrated practitioner

LadyCC

I too try and cut down on carbs 'most days' and i can keep my weight down with exercise, which for me is just a long walk, any special occasion, meal at friends house etc we attend, i just eat what's on offer, but do still try and have a smaller portion if its carb loaded....so not a low diet as such just cut out were i can..

Nearer to my 90days holiday i do keep carbs really low and can lose 7lbs in 10-12days...

Lady CC sending you a huge this blooming menopause is horrible, i had no real weight issues until my periods stopped at 55 now 72  i am 1.5st heavier, i eat far less and move far more..xx

Thank you for you message Rosebush - Yes the menopause is just horrible, im being continually challenged.  Its so maddening that I cannot lose at the moment because I guess my hormones are not 'happy' - I hear you when you say you are heavier whilst eating less and moving more - Are you actively trying to lose weight now?. 

Some people seem to get to grips with this and can manage it.  I hardly see any women on tv over a certain age succumb, certainly not to the weight part of it though many are revealing that they have many of the other symptoms.  I wonder why this is for some women and not others? - surely its not just about money because many women that I have come in to contact with have had to pay at some point for additional support. 

Rosebush

• First Flush

Lady CC I watch what i eat everyday, and i know if i have 2 items that contain carbs i will gain up to a pound, i am between a size 12 - 14 top and a 14 dress, but it has to be A line, as all my extra weight is on my tum & hips, i have only found during last 5 months 2 summer dress that fit me! so frustrating when i see ladies in lovely dresses, and i wish i could just be a normal size 12 again :'(

My sister is barely a size 10 and her weight hasn't changed since her 20's infact she is a few pounds lighter and try's hard to 'gain' weight, her GP gave her a high calorie diet sheet, and still she's not gained! some women bless them have no problems even after meno ??? xx

LadyCC

Lady CC I watch what i eat everyday, and i know if i have 2 items that contain carbs i will gain up to a pound, i am between a size 12 - 14 top and a 14 dress, but it has to be A line, as all my extra weight is on my tum & hips, i have only found during last 5 months 2 summer dress that fit me! so frustrating when i see ladies in lovely dresses, and i wish i could just be a normal size 12 again :'(

My sister is barely a size 10 and her weight hasn't changed since her 20's infact she is a few pounds lighter and try's hard to 'gain' weight, her GP gave her a high calorie diet sheet, and still she's not gained! some women bless them have no problems even after meno ??? xx

Snap! the weight is on my tummy and hips too.  I had a family event this year and loathe my picture being taken at the best of times but this just highligted it with me alongside slim family members where I am now twice their size because I feel I am twice the size of whats 'normal' for me.  My mum when she had me, within days she was back in size 8 clothes, it took me a year with my kids to lose the baby weight so I feel you when you say about your sister comparatively.  The one thing I will say is that at least you are able to 'manage' your weight but I completely understand that you are not where you want to be.  Hopefully things will settle for you too and your body will be receptive to your efforts in a more sustained way  :)

Julila

• First Flush

My problem is that I cannot stop eating in the evening. The thing is when you stop eating your brain still want to get more energy and you cannot stop. It is also possible because after your meal you do not have to do something. So I decided to find an activity after the meal - I started learning cycling. I use it, call my family for the help and I do not think about the food. When I am not feeling well, I read interesting detective stories. So the decision is to find something to do after meal. If I do not want to go outside, I just use this treadmill for walking at home.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 01:44:08 AM by Julila »
Pages: 1 2 [3]