Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Losing confidence  (Read 1808 times)

Pennyfarthing

Losing confidence
« on: July 09, 2022, 08:08:58 PM »

I sat daydreaming this evening and started thinking about things I used to do which I don’t do anymore.

I used to walk my dogs over fields for miles by myself but even though I no longer have dogs, I wouldn’t feel confident doing that.

Not so long ago if I woke up really early on a summer morning I would get my bike out and cycle miles through the countryside before the others even woke up.  No way would I dream of doing that now.

I don’t feel so confident driving out of my comfort zone now and no way would I drive on a motorway.

Is it an age thing and is anybody else like this?

Meg

Re: Losing confidence
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 08:20:16 PM »

Dear Pennyfarthing

I know exactly what you mean.  I am now 67 and still having hot sweats, anxiety and insomnia.  I feel like there are two people, the happy, relatively confident person I was till 50 and the person I am now, fearful, tearful and losing confidence almost to the extent that I dont feel like shopping etc.  I have never liked driving but am now thinking about giving up my car.  Just to say you are not alone in your feelings.

Meg

getting_old

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 09:42:49 PM »

I'd say partially age related, but also just a case of not doing something for a period means it becomes something new and worrying as oppose to something you're used to doing. Before you do something new you worry about it, but once you've done it then it's easier to do it again.
When I was in my 20s I didn't drive for a few years and it took me a while to feel confident driving again, especially on the motorway.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 08:24:16 AM »

Yep.  My Life has altered since DH retried in that he does the main driving.  I might 'nip to the shop', otherwise  :-\. I drive twice a year when we take 1 vehicle to the garage so I follow DH there and back.   Once on the road I'm OK, it's entering dual carriageway from a slip road that always has freaked me a little!

Walking - no point without a dog  :-\

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 03:45:54 PM »

What I have lost is driving stamina. The thought is worse than the doing. Most journeys do involve the motorway or dual carriageway, but if there’s an alternative I take it. To be honest, I’ve always loathed motorway driving. I remember picking up my daughter from uni… 200+ miles. Wouldn’t do it now.

ATB

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 08:40:11 PM »

Completely understand how you feel, I also used to do long walks, long endurance running and cycling and I feel too scared and anxious to do it now. For a long time I didn’t have the energy. I also didn’t like going anywhere in the car that wasn’t very close to home. I have had therapy this year and can now travel anywhere fine and went on a lovely long country walk somewhere new today. Losing confidence is common as we get older. I do think we can work on it as I didn’t  want the confidence and anxiety issues to limit me and things I enjoy doing.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 03:53:06 PM »

I will still go on walks just not by myself.  I honestly never thought about it but in the last couple of years there have been lone women attacked and killed even with their dogs with them.

getting_old

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 06:20:10 PM »

I think culturally it can be strange to see someone out walking alone. I remember someone telling me about a friend who used to walk their dog and chat to other dog walkers, then they lost the dog and went for a walk alone and the dog walkers ignored them.
We used to live in an area that was a bit dubious and i refused to walk in certain areas even with OH, then I met a lady who was really petite and she walked everywhere without any worries.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 07:46:59 PM »

I think culturally it can be strange to see someone out walking alone. I remember someone telling me about a friend who used to walk their dog and chat to other dog walkers, then they lost the dog and went for a walk alone and the dog walkers ignored them.
We used to live in an area that was a bit dubious and i refused to walk in certain areas even with OH, then I met a lady who was really petite and she walked everywhere without any worries.

Until a few years ago I walked miles with my dogs, over fields, through woods and on the beach. it never occurred to me that I might not be safe. One day I met a neighbour and her adult daughter who always walked together and they both said they would never walk alone. I’m afraid that sowed the seed of doubt in my mind.  :'(

C.C.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 01:38:37 PM »

I normally walk alone, sometimes on the streets but most of the time I'm on the trails along the creek valley.  It's not unusual for me to have the whole trail to myself for a long time, which can be unnerving. I'm good as long as I see someone else.  I tend to look around and behind me every so often, just me being cautious I guess. 

getting_old

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 07:26:34 PM »

Having lived in London for a while I always make sure I know whose around me. I find a lot of people aren't aware of their surroundings, and there have been times when I've actually stopped OH walking down some streets.

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 07:46:25 PM »

I used to be more nervous about walking alone, having grown up in a town. After living in the country, I feel safer. I’m not a creature of habit, so I go out when I feel like it. I feel more vulnerable driving. Today another warning sign flag up with a warning noise in my car. Fortunately DH was home and answered the phone. Worked out it was the tyre pressure warning sign, probably triggered by the heat. DH had checked my tyre pressures yesterday. He told how to reset it, and get rid of the noise, thank goodness. I fear breaking down on my own, with no phone.

littleminnie

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2022, 04:21:33 PM »

I never go anywhere without my phone and we do this share my location thing just in case.