Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Salad prep and ideas  (Read 1570 times)

Lynda07

Salad prep and ideas
« on: July 09, 2022, 11:29:50 AM »

Hello ladies

I was thinking of preparing salad ingredients in advance so I could throw one together quite easily for lunch at home during the week. The thing is I lack imagination and also don't have a clue how long things will keep.  I was thinking of separate containers for e.g. tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped celery, the usual salad ingredients etc but what about cooked food? I would like to cook some frozen sweet potato, butternut squash etc but have no idea if it will keep. Ditto boiled eggs, cooked chicken, quinoa for example - please feel free to let me know your salad prep ideas, containers you use (glass v plastic for example), recipes  - any ideas at all- I'd be very grateful.

Thanks as always

Lynda

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Salad prep and ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 12:17:59 PM »

I love cold flavoured rice with my salad. Either microwave or boiled.
Beetroot, love pickled beetroot, and you can buy dry onions from the supermarket, just sprinkled lightly over my salad tastes amazing.
I also cooked in small cubes, ( for the first time ever) roasted sweet potatoes, omg, they’re gorgeous, I’d eat them cold the next day, just store in the fridge, or warm them in the microwave before serving.
Not sure about cold pasta, but some people do serve that with salad. 🤷🏼‍♀️ A tiny amount of oil in the boiling water will stop it from sticking together in clumps.
I store my salad in bags, I’m sure it lasts longer in the fridge than in a container. Don’t know why. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Cooked chicken? That’s a good one with salad, and all this will last a good couple days in the fridge.
Don’t forget the coleslaw.  ;D oh and hard boiled eggs.   ;D
Apart from the salad which I keep in bags, I tend to store all my stuff in plastic containers. It doesn’t last that long tbh before it’s all gone, also, a quiche, …now your talking!  ;D
Good luck, now I’m hungry. 😋 ;D

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 02:02:11 PM »

All sounds delicious Jill
Sweetcorn,avocado and those dried bacon bites are lovely sprinkled over the top,bit like those onions.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 02:12:46 PM »

I use quite a lot of pomegranate seeds in my salads. They taste lovely and look like little jewels amongst the lettuce etc.

I do my salads as I go along but if we have a little left over then I put it in plastic container in fridge.

I like things like beetroot and orange, fat free Greek yoghourt with pink grapefruit and beetroot, tzatziki dip, broad bean salad with cherry tomatoes.  Another popular one in our house is cooked and cooled pasta twirls with hard boiled egg, parsley, mayo, black pepper and tuna fish and sweetcorn.

QueenofReds3

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 06:51:35 PM »

Ooo your salads all sound tasty, beats my little gem and a slice of tomato combo ;D

Lynda07

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 06:53:39 PM »

Thanks so much! There are some really lovely (and tasty) ideas here. They’ve made my mouth water.

QueenofReds3, your salads sound like mine 😉

Thank you again.

ATB

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 07:12:38 PM »

We make 3-4 different salads every 2-3 days depending on if our adult child is also eating them. We will make a bean salad usually with cans of mixed beans plus diced red onion, pepper, herbs etc;  some kind of leafy green salad like kale & broccoli with toasted pumpkin seeds or simple rocket, tomato, cucumber ( added fresh ) with walnuts, and then some kind of salad that will include a grain, like quinoa tabouleh ( I am gluten free ). We also regularly do grated carrot & sesame salad, with sesame oil & sesame seeds plus a little soy sauce in the dressing, maybe add pumpkin seeds. Another regular is a lentil, marinated tofu ( then fried ), tomato & chilli salad. We just make sure we have 3 salads at any time in the fridge and take turns to make them. I almost always add seeds or nuts, and herbs to them. We also regularly bake things like whole sweet potato or potato and they keeps in the fridge about 2-3 days so we can heat and eat for lunches with some of the salads.

Lynda07

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 06:12:09 PM »

ATB they sound absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for that. A great idea about the sweet potato too. Thanks again.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 07:50:08 PM »

i made a lovely mango salsa yesterday.  Fresh mango cut into cubes, some roasted red peppers sliced (they come in a jar), some fresh chopped parsley and coriander and a chopped red onion.

Minusminnie

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 07:18:23 AM »

some roasted red peppers sliced (they come in a jar)

Love those especially the piquante spicier ones. We often sprinkle salads with bombay mix or add nasturtium leaves to green leaves in salads for a bit of spiciness.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 09:15:33 AM »

some roasted red peppers sliced (they come in a jar)

Love those especially the piquante spicier ones. We often sprinkle salads with bombay mix or add nasturtium leaves to green leaves in salads for a bit of spiciness.

Sounds lovely!

C.C.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 01:30:01 PM »

I made a nice grilled corn salsa on the weekend, took it to a family BBQ and it was a hit.  I grilled 4 cobs of corn on the BBQ, along with red bell pepper and one jalapeno. When the corn was cool I cut the kernals off the cob, threw them in a bowl with the peeled, seeded and chopped grilled peppers, diced red onion, diced orange bell pepper, seeded and diced roma tomatoes, a bit of fresh cilantro, cumin, lime juice, and garlic powder. I served it with tortilla chips, but I don't see why you couldn't make it into a salad by adding chopped romaine :).

ATB

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 02:33:55 PM »

That sounds so good.

Lynda07

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 09:23:53 PM »

Thank you so much everyone! There are some delicious ideas here. I appreciate your replies, as always.